Happy Birthday MAME 20 today.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

aztecca

Happy Birthday MAME 20 today.

Post by aztecca » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:27 am

Mame is 20 years old today.Thankyou so much to the guys who made and keep it going.Without it I never would of been able to play all those arcade games at home.

What have been your memories/experiences of Mame.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Big Shoes

Re: Happy Birthday MAME 20 today.

Post by Big Shoes » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:30 am

I have it on an Original Xbox on Coinops7 and on my Raspberry Pie 3 with RetroPie, it is amazing on both and is great for playing all the old games that I would not be able to play anymore.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:52 am

For me MAME has being apart of my way to escape the ages and relive all those glorious moments I did in my teens, without MAME I would have never discovered the incredible fun, strange, wacky and amazing games that MAME has being able to show, using it from more or less the beginning of its release when it was heavy dos based I could believe that they were able to theatrically dump an arcade machine into a bunch of files and make them play.

I also have to mention how great MAME without giving it the credit for allowing me to create a book specially dedicated to genre with some of the best arcade games covered, it wouldn't have being possible without MAME, in its 20 years it has envolved to the extend of now I believe 35,000 roms variants within its rom sets and 30+ arcade machine chipsets incredible work to those whom managed to pull this off and the people that have managed to dump the roms for the preservation, I simply wish to personally Thank You all for everything you have done.

A real shame that no body managed to convince the owner of the "Marble Maddness 2" one only cab to preserve its precious roms, not even $50,000 would sway the owner. Hopefully I'll get to play this game before I die. Until them HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAME!!!!
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:24 am

Greyfox wrote:For me MAME has being apart of my way to escape the ages and relive all those glorious moments I did in my teens, without MAME I would have never discovered the incredible fun, strange, wacky and amazing games that MAME has being able to show, using it from more or less the beginning of its release when it was heavy dos based I could believe that they were able to theatrically dump an arcade machine into a bunch of files and make them play.

I also have to mention how great MAME without giving it the credit for allowing me to create a book specially dedicated to genre with some of the best arcade games covered, it wouldn't have being possible without MAME, in its 20 years it has envolved to the extend of now I believe 35,000 roms variants within its rom sets and 30+ arcade machine chipsets incredible work to those whom managed to pull this off and the people that have managed to dump the roms for the preservation, I simply wish to personally Thank You all for everything you have done.

A real shame that no body managed to convince the owner of the "Marble Maddness 2" one only cab to preserve its precious roms, not even $50,000 would sway the owner. Hopefully I'll get to play this game before I die. Until them HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAME!!!!
Did you ever release the arcade book that we all voted on the cover we liked best? I know it was put on hold but that is the last I remember.

Back to MAME, yes it's amazing what sights and sounds we have all been able to see and hear that we never got to experience in the arcade for real. I know masses of hidden gems and classics would have passed me by had it not been for the hard work of the community at large.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:43 am

Truly the absolute KING of emulators. I very nearly spooged in my pants when I first discovered it all those years ago. The arcade games of my youth reproduced on my gaming PC - it seemed impossible. Then came all the amazing arcade games I'd never heard of, and they just kept on coming!
MAME was my introduction to the incredible concept of emulation (whoever first dreamed up the idea was a genius) and it's been a constant feature throughout my gaming life since that first day of fumbling around with a Defender rom image so long ago. Happy birthday MAME! Easily one of the best things in gaming to have ever been released.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:50 am

Happy birthday MAME. Who would have thought that you would some day be able to replay all those arcade games on your actual computer at home? Thanks to MAME I was able to replay Aliens(which never got a home conversion) and which the old arcade cab at my old local arcade is still there switched off and gathering dust(the monitor on it doesn't work and I have tried buying it from the owner, but he doesn't want to sell it!). I was also finally able to complete Mercs! Many happy returns MAME!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:24 am

My first memory begins with SPArcade, which really was the first arcade emulator I believe. I like to think it inspired MAME, which is just a beast now in terms of supporting so many arcade titles :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:32 am

Happy birthday Mame!

I have only fairly recently delved into the world of mame, through mameuifx64 on PC and coinops8 on xbox - but can totally see what all the fuss was about. Sadly its not entirely glitch-free, particularly on the xbox (coinops 8, pushing the poor old ageing Xbox hardware to its limits), but is a treat to be able to access all those arcade classics, as well as some unknown gems. A great deal of work and effort has been put into making nice interfaces and front ends, as well as the enormous task of developing emulators for so many different systems.

Its staggering how many arcade games were actually produced!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:39 am

Great program that kept evolving thru the years and now supports advanced features like shaders which can produce basically Arcade-level picture quality on a standard modern monitor or TV screen. While we could debate about the legal nature of ROM sharing, the fact is that many of those Arcade games were either never released in downloadable form or are hard to track down or have watered-down home ports. Not everyone is excited about the idea of having large, coin-eating machines down his basement and this is where MAME shines as it trully brings the Arcade experience into homes. Mentionworthy are also some online-enabled programs such as MAME Hub and FightCade, programs that allow for MAME-based online play of various Arcade titles with which I had quite some fun with in the past.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:04 am

I remember discovering MAME for the first time and I couldn't quite believe it was true until I got it working. When Bombjack appeared on my screen, all ready to play, it felt like Christmas had come early. From that day on, a whole new world of emulation opened up, giving access to all those long forgotten gems and plenty of new ones too. Happy birthday MAME.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:34 am

^^^
Agreed. Was a revelation for me and pretty easy to set up. Think my build is still from 2011 but works great. Have there been any major advancements since then?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:44 am

sscott wrote:Have there been any major advancements since then?
Yes. They moved onto 64-bit executable (higher memory addressing), selectable APIs (Direct Draw, Direct X or Open GL), customizable shaders (needs a graphics chip/card that supports GLSL and HLSL), improved support for some games, improved the GUI interface, added support for custom controllers and so on.

But if you have a older PC, I'd suggest sticking with a older version for performance and compatability reasons.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:06 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
sscott wrote:Have there been any major advancements since then?
Yes. They moved onto 64-bit executable (higher memory addressing), selectable APIs (Direct Draw, Direct X or Open GL), customizable shaders (needs a graphics chip/card that supports GLSL and HLSL), improved support for some games, improved the GUI interface, added support for custom controllers and so on.

But if you have a older PC, I'd suggest sticking with a older version for performance and compatability reasons.
Thx for the info. Buying a new PC in the next month or so then I can join the PC elitist! ;)

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I love MAME. Have been playing it for a long, long time. It's such a treat to be able to have some of my favorite arcade games at home, like Time Pilot or Mappy. What they've accomplished with MAME is truly remarkable.

I think the first emulator I ever used was the one that emulated the various Pac-Man games. Anybody remember the name of it?

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Tabe wrote:I love MAME. Have been playing it for a long, long time. It's such a treat to be able to have some of my favorite arcade games at home, like Time Pilot or Mappy. What they've accomplished with MAME is truly remarkable.

I think the first emulator I ever used was the one that emulated the various Pac-Man games. Anybody remember the name of it?
PacMAME? I hadn't heard of that before but with my new Hyperspin drive I saw it on there.