What sticks in your mind over the years.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GREENHORN

What sticks in your mind over the years.

Post by GREENHORN » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Is it the ZX81's, Atari's, Commodore's, Spectrums, the sega's or nintendo's, the list seems endless, depending on the years you were introduced into gaming heaven..

It all boils down to a time when gaming seemed an important part of you gaming life.

To be honest my gaming madness started with the ZX81, and the Spectrum, and then jumped to the Sega Mega Drive.

From then on it seems to have grown into a healthy hobby, or is it a obsession?

ncf1

Re: What sticks in your mind over the years.

Post by ncf1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:59 pm

its a good question because my initial thought was that every system or console you'd have had would stick in your mind but that hasn't been the case with me, I'd virtually forgotten I had a Vic-20 for instance until really thinking about my line of computers, some PCs I cant even remember what processor they were, and many consoles Ive had haven't really left a lasting impression, not as much as I'd thought anyway.

The first computer I had, Apple II Europlus sticks in the mind because it was like another world, this machine that you could interact with and do so many things with, aside from just playing games which was amazing in itself. Then the C64 which really blew away the games experience of the Apple, and then the Amiga which blew them both away. So it was an increased progression which is why I think the obsession I too have had has lasted. Then comes along the PC revolution, and TAKE OFF! .. games just start becoming truly amazing.

So for me anyway it was that lineage of computers that hold the strongest memories. I did like the Playstations and NDS's, etc, Ive had but not of the consoles have really left a strong impression for some reason. So home computers have left the strongest memories for me. Especially 1978 to 1989, those amazing pioneering years.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:13 pm

GREENHORN wrote:Is it the ZX81's, Atari's, Commodore's, Spectrums, the sega's or nintendo's, the list seems endless, depending on the years you were introduced into gaming heaven..

It all boils down to a time when gaming seemed an important part of you gaming life.

To be honest my gaming madness started with the ZX81, and the Spectrum, and then jumped to the Sega Mega Drive.

From then on it seems to have grown into a healthy hobby, or is it a obsession?
My uncle introduced the Spectrum , which became the family computer and will always be my favourite - fond memories and I stuck with it until and even after I got my Megadrive.

The Megadrive was always my 16 bit choice and I bought it myself from the proceeds of my Paper round and an excessively generous christmas tip bundle.

Almost everything else has gone , not unnoticed but just not as important to my gaming life. It probably explains why ive never quite kept up with current gaming (last current console was the PS3 , relatively recent for me and the Dreamcast in its heyday)

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:49 pm

I could waffle all night about this, so summary below in list format:

Atari Woody - Meh
Atari 800XL - Mainly meh
Amstrad CPC 464 - Meh
SMS: Loved, it always brings a smile to my face.
PCE: Fantastic, loved it to bits and still do, my first experience of the Arcade at home.
SMD: Fantastic, still love.
SNES: See above.
PS1: Loved it but discovered alcohol, women etc and prioritised those.
N64: Similar to above but less so.
PS2: Similar to N64 but less so.
NGC: Mainly meh, some highlights.
360: Rekindled my love of gaming.
PS3: Started off meh, but ended up liking more than 360.
Wii: Uggh, meh.
PS4: Quite simply the best console I've owned since turn of the century.
Xbone: Tried it, not for me, easy to forget.

PC's had a number over the years, never really gripped me like consoles have. Same thing with handhelds - used mainly on holidays.

Eat your nans pants

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Good question. Going to the newsagent to see if the Christmas issue of Crash! was in. Wonderful memories...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Also Atic Atac, the first game I saw on a mate's Speccy. After that I knew I had to have one.Atic Atac has remained one of my favourite Speccu games, probably mainly for that reason.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:35 pm

I've owned a bunch of systems, some (SNES) I loved more than others (Dreamcast). I go back 40 years, to a home Pong system. But when I look back and think about the system I had the deepest connection with, the one I remember most fondly, it would be the Apple IIe. That was our family's first computer. I spent many, many hours playing games like Ultima 2,3, & 4 or IO Silver or Lode Runner on it. And I spent who knows how many hours typing in programs from Nibble magazine. I spent a lot of time copying games and studying how to crack them. I spent a lot of time learning how to program. I spent a lot of time on BBS systems.

So, yeah, that's what sticks in my mind.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:25 am

Had a commodore back when I was 5 or 6 and loved it. Enjoyed playing master system at my cousins with stuff like Donald duck lucky dime caper and Psycho Fox. I then got my own gameboy at 7 which i wore out and a megadrive at 9. Those were the golden age to me. I also had an old Windows 3.1 era pc to play basic lucasarts and sierra style games on.

I then got a ps1 in '98 and the first pc i could reliably play games on then and my first self bought console the gamecube on release date and picked up a dreamcast and ps2 second hand much later which was the silver age for me (but also the one i played the mpst games in as I left school and had more time as i had less restrictions.

I then got a ds, psp, ps3 and got my n64 and saturn which was the bronze age for me.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:42 am

Owning multiple hand held electronic games until my mum worked hours upon hours to get enough money to buy me a Spectrum 48k+ for Christmas and also received a few other games from relatives to start me off.

Memorable games that Christmas included: 10 Computer Hits (I Loved Wriggler!), A budget compilation called Don't Buy This (Supposedly some of the worst games ever) & Frank Bruno's Boxing.

God I loved that Christmas!!!! :D
Last edited by goldenone on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 am

Playing some Space Invaders clone on a pinkish Game & Watch style handheld (my first gaming system).

Playing Arkanoid II: Revenge of DOH on ZX Spectrum and getting night mares from it (I was trapped in the game... :P ).

Trying out the many pirated Speccy games that I got from cousin, the really long and loud loading times and figuring out the strange control schemes.

Multiplayer seasons in various (pirate) Famiclone games with school mates.

Trying to play with the ridiculously stiff joy sticks on Atari 2600 Jr. and trying to hook a Sega pad on it.

Trading games with mates for Famiclones, Game Boys and Sega Mega Drives.

Playing Prince of Persia, Wings of Fury, California Games and Decathlon on friend's PC.

Trying out Arcades like OutRun, Virtua Racing, Street Fighter II (I sucked at it back then).

Playing a ton of Yoshi's Island on the SNES.

Drooling over CD-ROM PCs and there SVGA 3D graphics.

Experiencing the 3D revolution on the N64.

Getting my first PC (unfortunately not a terribly good gaming experience due to dated hardware but still interesting).

Being amazed at friend's brand new "3D accelerated" PC and how smooth, sharp and detailed the games were (Quake 3 blew me away).

Being amazed at Sega Dreamcast, PS2 and GameCube graphical jumps compared to 5th gen consoles.

Getting my first proper 3D card and experiencing what I was missing out on on the PC.

Being amazed at the graphics of high-end PC games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

Witnessing the huge jumps in processing and graphical capabilities of modern hardware.

The realization that the re-emergence of VR might bring us actually into the games with the right gear.