Retro Pi or Wii

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Jimmy Corkhill

Re: Retro Pi or Wii

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Cheers guys!

Gonna ask a huge favor, I am having a terrible time with the button mapping on the Snes emulator for Wii, I'm using a Gamecube controller, and I just cannot seem to get it right. Anyone have a picture of their set up? I cannot find any images online.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:51 pm

batman877 wrote:The Wii is the best for NES, SNES, Master System, Megadrive, Mega CD, Gamecube and of course Wii.

For the retro systems the emulators have lots of filters for a HDTV or you can play old-school 240p on a CRT! I'd recommend using the official SNES and NES pads that were available on the Wii. ,

You can also view Gamecube and Wii games in glorious component quality - and play import games!

For everything else, (Amiga, N64, PS1 etc.) PC or Pi is the way to go...
This! retropie is also just a headache to set up, you'll spend more time messing about and getting it running than actually playing games!

Just get a wii, easier, cheaper, better!
Jimmy Corkhill wrote:Cheers guys!

Gonna ask a huge favor, I am having a terrible time with the button mapping on the Snes emulator for Wii, I'm using a Gamecube controller, and I just cannot seem to get it right. Anyone have a picture of their set up? I cannot find any images online.
Gamecube controllers are terrible for snes games due to the layout & crap dpad, just use a classic controller pro for everything if you have one & just keep the cube pad for nintendont
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Jimmy Corkhill wrote:Cheers guys!

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search? ... ler+layout

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:11 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:
Just get a wii, easier, cheaper, better!
I'm still hoping for a one-stop shop solution for everything, because as good as the Wii is, its far from perfect, particularly emulation, even of 8 and 16 bit consoles. They've squeezed amazing things though out of its weak single core power-PC 729mhz CPU though to be fair, but it can't tick every box as much as I'd wish it did.

PC Engine emulation is a bit naff on it, although for ages I thought "Hugo" was the only viable PC Engine emulator which was truly awful, but discovered that Wii Engine isn't actually half bad... a few games glitch, don't play sound, or load at all. The work-around for some of these games is having those specific titles Virtual Console versions installed, but they don't cover all. I'm being super fussy though.

Megadrive emulation is largely decent, although its a shame it doesn't support 32x....no idea why (the original Xbox seems to handle it without any fuss) or if it will ever be done at this stage. SNES emulation has thankfully improved over the years, and it has a reasonably decent clean interface, and high compatibility (even on games with additional enhancements chips), not perfect, but solid enough. The NES, weirdly I found coughed up more problems by comparison, but again works reasonably well. Master System/Game Gear no problems I could see, same with MSX. Other computers like Amiga, C64 - the Xbox is vastly superior, and also does MAME a whole lot better.

Most retro-fans should have a Wii though, as it does all of the above pretty well overall (even for emulation sticklers like myself), is easily modded, cheap, good range of controllers, nice interface and access to playing Gamecube and Wii games 100% natively. It compliments an Xbox (original) nicely though, as that generally fills in the missing gaps that the Wii struggles with.