JXD S7800b or GPD XD

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thebear

JXD S7800b or GPD XD

Post by thebear » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:23 am

Currently leaning towards the 7800 due to wanting shoulder buttons for PS1 games

anyone agree/disagree?

Or is there another handheld to get?
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

English Invader

Re: JXD S7800b or GPD XD

Post by English Invader » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:30 am

You could do a lot worse than an old PSP you have lying around. Very easy to softmod and an extensive range of emulators available.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:02 am

I had an s7800b, plays PS1 games very nicely, got through both Medal of Honors on it, emulates extremely well. But I ended up selling my s7800b and don't regret it, because those directional sticks I just couldn't get used to - I hated them. Just so slippy, they just feel *horrible*, and really to me bring down an otherwise excellent experience. Because I thought the s700b was fantastic otherwise, nice big screen, solid emulation.

I haven't used a GPD XD so cant comment. Only for me, the s7800b screen size was perfect for a handheld, wouldn't want smaller and the gpd looks to be a bit smaller so for me anyway its just too small. but that's me though, I prefer a larger size screen. Truth be told, instead of either handheld I would do what someone else recommended after their stint with a s7800 - get a laptop, keep it solely for emulation.

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 am

I have a laptop, but looking for something even more portable lol!

does the GP DXD have any shoulder buttons? It doesn't look like it from what I can see
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:30 am

ncf1 wrote:I had an s7800b, plays PS1 games very nicely, got through both Medal of Honors on it, emulates extremely well. But I ended up selling my s7800b and don't regret it, because those directional sticks I just couldn't get used to - I hated them. Just so slippy, they just feel *horrible*, and really to me bring down an otherwise excellent experience. Because I thought the s700b was fantastic otherwise, nice big screen, solid emulation.

I haven't used a GPD XD so cant comment. Only for me, the s7800b screen size was perfect for a handheld, wouldn't want smaller and the gpd looks to be a bit smaller so for me anyway its just too small. but that's me though, I prefer a larger size screen. Truth be told, instead of either handheld I would do what someone else recommended after their stint with a s7800 - get a laptop, keep it solely for emulation.

how did you find using the shoulder buttons on the 7800?

They look a little close to the thumbsticks to me or was it ok?

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:45 am

thebear wrote:
ncf1 wrote:I had an s7800b, plays PS1 games very nicely, got through both Medal of Honors on it, emulates extremely well. But I ended up selling my s7800b and don't regret it, because those directional sticks I just couldn't get used to - I hated them. Just so slippy, they just feel *horrible*, and really to me bring down an otherwise excellent experience. Because I thought the s700b was fantastic otherwise, nice big screen, solid emulation.

how did you find using the shoulder buttons on the 7800?

They look a little close to the thumbsticks to me or was it ok?
I thought the positioning was ok, I didn't have a problem there, it felt fine to hold. They aren't the best feeling shoulder buttons in the world, but they were functional and I never had an issue with them, unlike the directional sticks which just ruined the whole thing to be honest. I sold my unit because of that, I just *hated* those things. It felt like riding the high seas with rollerskates on, just total frustration. Its a pity because otherwise I was very happy with the system and would have kept it but those sticks ruined playability for me, and I kind of cant believe that they would go to all that trouble making such a complex piece of equipment and then affix the two cheapest, sh---iest controller things imaginable, it just defies logic.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 am

I thought the screen, and the size of the system were perfect. The display is terrific. thinking back now the shoulder buttons are a little bit tacky, a little sticky, they could have been better but they were ok, you could deal with them.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:41 am

I would say go for the GPD XD. I've done video reviews of both:
https://youtu.be/3nBLKHk_AFw
https://youtu.be/cmJCaXNup14
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius