You vs yer kids!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TimmyNinja

You vs yer kids!

Post by TimmyNinja » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm guessing many of us here have children now we're all grown up, and I was wondering if you experience the same thing that I do - my 14 year old son constantly beats me at games!! I grew up with supposedly 'hard' games on my Commodore 64, Amiga etc. The first game I ever played was Manic Miner in the early 80's.

Still, these decades of training do not matter one little bit. My son thrashes me at Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 5, split screen Battlefront. And I've always prided myself on racing games, so we regularly do time trials against each other on Driveclub and DiRT Rally. But I simply CANNOT beat him! I wonder if he thinks I'm letting him win, but I'M NOT!! I really am trying!

Is it because I'm now, at 41, old? Are my reflexes simply not as sharp as his? Are games these days really easier than what we grew up with? Or just different?

Anyone else suffer from this humiliation?

(I am quite proud of him secretly though, of course!)
Pizza, the food of the Gods. And ninjas.

Antiriad2097

Re: You vs yer kids!

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 pm

My (now 30) daughter hammers me at Tekken. Every time. We played it recently for the first time in years and she still beat me to an embarrassing degree.

Your 14 year old doesn't just have better reactions, he has time. Time to practice, time to play, he's honed his skills to perfection just like you did in your youth. That edge is easily lost and you just won't have the same free time he does to put in the hours.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Yeah I think ant is right. I'm nearly 40 and my lad generally whups my ass nowadays, plus kids reactions at that sort of age are naturally sharper.

Eat your nans pants

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:54 pm

I trash my little one at every video game. That however has something to do with the fact shes 7 weeks old and can't even fully control herself.....

PSN username - MartinPhantom

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 am

There are a few games I still have the edge over my son on, usually driving and fighting games, but FIFA, NBA or anything like that, I just can't beat him at all.
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

its not a proper job, and you can never go too far

TimmyNinja

Post by TimmyNinja » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm curious about how they might get on with something old school and challenging. Like, Creatures on C64, Dropzone, or challenge them to try and 'finish' Jet Set Willy!!

Thinking about it, I probably do this to myself - I tend to play stuff on easy, like Uncharted, Tomb Raider etc. And first person shooters as well. I play Destiny cooperatively, totally avoiding the Crucible! Perhaps I'm getting soft, whereas my son plays loads of Battlefront online, so I guess that's where he hones his skills.

Bless'em :)
Pizza, the food of the Gods. And ninjas.

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Think Mario Kart has a lot of luck involved? Against my two daughters I can't win a single race any more (DD or Wii). I used to give them a lap before I started!

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:21 am

I don't have kids but have numerous teenage nephews. I've had them over many times for all-night gaming sessions. Some games I can hang with them. Others they smoke me. But sports games? Those are still mine :)