Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RodimusPrime

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Pretty much every WiiWare title is thankfully available on torrent sites (whether they are de-listed or not), and therefore can still be played on a modded Wii, so I guess/hope the same would happen with PSN/XBL titles, and our hacker friends are doing a similar job in preserving these games/files so that we can all still play them in the future, even if the official developers don't want to, or can't be bothered/afford to (maintain and provide them in an official manner).

Yeah, I know its not ideal, but I guess it may not be feasible for some companies to keep these digital games officially listed and available, especially if they have costly 3rd party license fees to pay (i guess one of the reasons Turtles might have been pulled).
No, its not ideal but its a very good point and something I was unaware of happening.

Capcom at least have done this a little.

They have a digital collection abailable on disc, and ducktales remastered got a Disc release.

The PS3 is also region free so at least I could import disc versions of Dungeons and dragons, Strider HD, and Darkstalkers ressurection.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:55 pm

I too hate this issue.

My workaround is buying up any digital only for the last gen on the largest HDD model and download all patches etc then dont delete it. I expect down the line ill do similar on current gen.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:26 am

Megamixer wrote:I think we will definitely be relying on hackers and dodgy websites in the future to "acquire" a lot of stuff.
So business as usual then.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:08 am

It'll only be an issue in the short term. We didn't have access to all those arcade games until MAME came along, then there's all the stuff like Japan only Sega/Nintendo download games for MD/Famicom. There will be a point where someone, somewhere, works out how to emulate systems or get the images running on old hardware.

Personally, I'm not that bothered. GoG and Steam have been too good to dismiss digital only, I long ago accepted digital delivery as a medium. With the library I have already across all my systems, and no doubt plenty more on the way, there's far too much that's already playable to worry about the odd game that might not be immediately readily available. Just buy it now or play something else in future.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:15 pm

As a PC gamer, I almost entirely went digital. Sure, it's nice to have a physical, hard copy that you can run any time without any online activation or some such, but truth be told most modern games are heavily rooted in online integration and features and it's actually less of a hassle to download games at high speeds than it once was to install them from multiple disks (for example Baldur's Gate came on 5 CDs). The same would go for consoles, as I believe more and more console players are opting to install everything on their hard drives nowadays, making optical mediums a bit redundant. Even in the case of retro systems I feel it's better to just have one cartridge that plays all the games (i.e. Everdrives) instead of having to switch the cart every time you want to play a different game. It's a matter of convenience and digital distribution wins here quite easily. As for the rights issues and such, I have a simple principle - if the game is available on digital stores or there is other means to support the developer, I will buy it, if not I consider it abandonware and download away from abandonware sites (in the case I don't have a physical copy and I want to play the said game). If there's no way to support the developer anymore, the game falls into the abandonware category in my book. Internet archives allow for perservance of data that would otherwise extirpate.

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:03 am

The main issue I have with digital releases is that you can't create a collection. Issues arising from service termination can be got around, though not always legally or morally - but for those of us who like to build, prune and maintain a collection that isn't really the case any more and it's a tiny bit sad.

Even some of the 360 disc games I have such as Mushi Futari for example have DLC and I don't feel that the game is complete without it. So it makes me feel uncomfortable in many respects. (I don't know if Futari's Black Label mode is actually a downloaded file or just unlocked content on the disc - though either way you need servers or hacked downloads to sort any legacy issues out).

Packaging, manuals, and even in some cases disc art, are for many, part and parcel of the enjoyment of collecting and sadly the amount of collectable stuff may soon become finite. Now maybe at some point in the future, collector editions on physical media at a premium price will become available but at best it will be a niche thing if it happens at all. If vinyl and MP3 can live together (and indeed are usually packaged together now) then maybe certain games can be sold that way too for collectors? Though I admit it's quite a bit more complex when it comes to gaming.

Digital is great in many ways - it is DAMN convenient, it may well be the means of "saving" old games from disappearing entirely , and it means many games get released that wouldn't because of publishing costs - but it may come at the price of collecting being severely restricted. Sad face.

Having said all that , having to be connected to play is an abomination , as are system updates and patches which kill the immediacy of consoles.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Some great points here. I'm an old fart, and so feel a sentimental connection to a physical copy when I purchase, be it music (mainly) movie or game. I'm well aware most kids don't give a censored. As long as they have the music/film/game they couldn't care less about covers and discs.
Ultimately I'm a fence sitter on this. Plusses and minuses on both sides. I like a collection on the shelf, but that's a lot of clutter tbh. I could see a day when I do not bother with purchasing physical games and movies. Music for me is a little different. Although for the most part I listen to it via ipod and load it on straight away, if I can I prefer to have the CD, with covers and notes. But I'm certainly happy that I could get all the Silent Hill soundtracks without paying ebay prices, and the Shadowman soundtrack I'm not even sure was available...via downloading from online :)

Dannyhalifax

Post by Dannyhalifax » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Last generation I was firmly in the physical camp,the thought of digital downloads didn't appeal at all.

However since getting my Xbox one I have been fully digital, sales are constantly on and are so cheap it makes it viable, the only game I paid full price for is Fallout 4. I have 211 games on my HDD including backward compatible ones and I have bought them all on the cheap. I got Witcher 3 GOTY edition for 17.50,and apparently there's hundreds of hours gameplay there, others off the top of my head were both saints row games for £6, both metro games for £6. And thanks to places like cdkeys I got the Division and halo 5 for a tenner a piece.

Also most importantly I don't have to put disc's in the player and get up to change it when I want to swap games,cos I'm a lazy censored.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:44 am

Not sure if this is some kind of Stockholm Syndrome talking now, but I think limited space on consoles is going to be good for me in the long run, forcing me to
1) Be more picky about what I spend time on
2) Actually stick to one or two games at a time and complete the damn things :lol:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:09 am

Dannyhalifax wrote:Last generation I was firmly in the physical camp,the thought of digital downloads didn't appeal at all.

However since getting my Xbox one I have been fully digital, sales are constantly on and are so cheap it makes it viable, the only game I paid full price for is Fallout 4. I have 211 games on my HDD including backward compatible ones and I have bought them all on the cheap. I got Witcher 3 GOTY edition for 17.50,and apparently there's hundreds of hours gameplay there, others off the top of my head were both saints row games for £6, both metro games for £6. And thanks to places like cdkeys I got the Division and halo 5 for a tenner a piece.

Also most importantly I don't have to put disc's in the player and get up to change it when I want to swap games,cos I'm a lazy censored.
Even with XBL sales I find the discs are usually cheaper

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Pretty much every WiiWare title is thankfully available on torrent sites (whether they are de-listed or not), and therefore can still be played on a modded Wii, so I guess/hope the same would happen with PSN/XBL titles, and our hacker friends are doing a similar job in preserving these games/files so that we can all still play them in the future, even if the official developers don't want to, or can't be bothered/afford to (maintain and provide them in an official manner).

Yeah, I know its not ideal, but I guess it may not be feasible for some companies to keep these digital games officially listed and available, especially if they have costly 3rd party license fees to pay (i guess one of the reasons Turtles might have been pulled).
is the wii store closed now?
This guy are sick

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:49 am

stayAwhile wrote: is the wii store closed now?
Nah, I don't think so yet. I believe you can still log on to the Wii Shop channel on both the Wii and the Wii U (in "Wii mode" in the latter) and still access the store, although some titles have already been removed for probably license reasons. I don't believe anything has been added to it in a long while either.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
stayAwhile wrote: is the wii store closed now?
Nah, I don't think so yet. I believe you can still log on to the Wii Shop channel on both the Wii and the Wii U (in "Wii mode" in the latter) and still access the store, although some titles have already been removed for probably license reasons. I don't believe anything has been added to it in a long while either.
I've obly ever bought 1 game from there due to the points being cheaper off amazon but that means waiting on a code and also dls are slow i think it may be that its still open due to it makes a profit/all nintendo stores are possibly. on one server(since the rest of the wii online stuff has ceased)
This guy are sick