Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:35 am

Licensing deals. once the time runs out then the publisher can no longer sell them digitally.

The recent Turtles game has to be delisted after less than a year due to this. At least with physical copies they will still be in circulation years down the line.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24427
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:43 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Licensing deals. once the time runs out then the publisher can no longer sell them digitally.

The recent Turtles game has to be delisted after less than a year due to this. At least with physical copies they will still be in circulation years down the line.
Unless they are those types of games that require a online connection to play them

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:11 am

DPrinny wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Licensing deals. once the time runs out then the publisher can no longer sell them digitally.

The recent Turtles game has to be delisted after less than a year due to this. At least with physical copies they will still be in circulation years down the line.
Unless they are those types of games that require a online connection to play them
What are you talking about

1. they will still be available to buy.

2. most games only require an online connection to play multiplayer.

3. it would still be an issue with digital games, and seeing as how this was specifically about why I prefer Physical games then responding with an issue that affects both physical and digital is pointless really isn't it.

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:16 am

This probably doesn't affect that game, but what about patches? Some games are released in such a state that they're effectively mandatory.
Image

User avatar
gunbladelad
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:23 am

RodimusPrime wrote: 2. most games only require an online connection to play multiplayer.
Sadly there's an increase in games being released where an online connection is required simply to play the game at all - all in the name of DRM. Granted, it's not exactly a brand new issue - Phantasy Star Online & Phantasy Star Universe had Game Guard on the PC - which wouldn't even allow the game to boot up if it couldn't connect to the Game Guard servers. However, it's becoming far more commonplace now. From what I gather most games purchased on Steam can't even be launched unless Steam is able to connect to the online service.
Where logic won't work, I will

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24427
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:39 am

RodimusPrime wrote: What are you talking about

1. they will still be available to buy.

2. most games only require an online connection to play multiplayer.

3. it would still be an issue with digital games, and seeing as how this was specifically about why I prefer Physical games then responding with an issue that affects both physical and digital is pointless really isn't it.
Considering a lot of modern games want to install updates from the moment you put the disc in, what will happen when its a buggy, broken, obsolete (Obsolete) game (lets face it a lot are) needs these patches to run?

Remember the backlash Microsoft got with the always online DRM that was going to be on Xbox One?
Then the backlash

Also Ubisoft and EA with there own bloody online services that you need an account for

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by The Beans » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:56 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Licensing deals. once the time runs out then the publisher can no longer sell them digitally.

The recent Turtles game has to be delisted after less than a year due to this. At least with physical copies they will still be in circulation years down the line.
Lot of games wouldn't get a release at all if there was no digital market. No money in it.

Although if you're talking about Turtles Manhattan I think it got a physical release.

I'm not inclined to give a toss if physical releases disappear for good tbh. It bothered me once upon a time but now it doesn't. The ability to play a game years down the line has never been a factor for me when I buy anyway.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:15 pm

People are missing the point I was making. Issues regarding patches, and updates affect both physical and digital games. Those problems are not exclusive to either.

My point was a point about how I am not a fan of Digital releases and how the license issue was something that affects the only digital version being made available.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:16 pm

DPrinny wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: What are you talking about

1. they will still be available to buy.

2. most games only require an online connection to play multiplayer.

3. it would still be an issue with digital games, and seeing as how this was specifically about why I prefer Physical games then responding with an issue that affects both physical and digital is pointless really isn't it.
Considering a lot of modern games want to install updates from the moment you put the disc in, what will happen when its a buggy, broken, obsolete (Obsolete) game (lets face it a lot are) needs these patches to run?

Remember the backlash Microsoft got with the always online DRM that was going to be on Xbox One?
Then the backlash

Also Ubisoft and EA with there own bloody online services that you need an account for
Seriously, what has that got to do with preffering physical over digital.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26670
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:39 pm

It has a lot to do with it, since your physical release could be a horribly unplayable buggy mess when you buy it years later and the patch servers are no longer on.

I believe the solution is to buy games while they are available. This has the added benefit of keeping your preferred developers in business to make more games you may like, instead of waiting until theyve gone under and it's dirt cheap discount shelf fodder.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14893
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:14 pm

I know what you mean. There simply isn't time to buy and play everything that interests you so sometimes a game has already been pulled before you get around to it. I've got Afterburner Climax on my PS3 for example but will it ever be available again in the future for those that missed it? Who knows. It depends on whether Sega renew the license with the aircraft manufacturer(s) and it would seem unlikely just to get a pretty niche game back on PSN/XBLA. Same goes for Outrun Online.

I think we will definitely be relying on hackers and dodgy websites in the future to "acquire" a lot of stuff.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14893
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Megamixer wrote:I know what you mean. There simply isn't time to buy and play everything that interests you so sometimes a game has already been pulled before you get around to it. I've got Afterburner Climax on my PS3 for example but will it ever be available again in the future for those that missed it? Who knows. It depends on whether Sega renew the license with the aircraft manufacturer(s) and it would seem unlikely just to get a pretty niche game back on PSN/XBLA. Same goes for Outrun Online. Shame that neither got slapped on a disc or compiled together with other stuff such as the Daytona port.

I think we will definitely be relying on hackers and dodgy websites in the future to "acquire" a lot of stuff.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:It has a lot to do with it, since your physical release could be a horribly unplayable buggy mess when you buy it years later and the patch servers are no longer on.

I believe the solution is to buy games while they are available. This has the added benefit of keeping your preferred developers in business to make more games you may like, instead of waiting until theyve gone under and it's dirt cheap discount shelf fodder.

Again the same applies to a digital download. if the patch is no longer available, then its no longer available for either version.

And yes you are right, but the games when they are available, but as again the whole point of the thread is that due to license issues the physical versions are available longer.

Turtles delisted digitally 8 months after release. Physically you can get it 2nd hand and still a lot of new stock available to but.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Megamixer wrote:I know what you mean. There simply isn't time to buy and play everything that interests you so sometimes a game has already been pulled before you get around to it. I've got Afterburner Climax on my PS3 for example but will it ever be available again in the future for those that missed it? Who knows. It depends on whether Sega renew the license with the aircraft manufacturer(s) and it would seem unlikely just to get a pretty niche game back on PSN/XBLA. Same goes for Outrun Online.

I think we will definitely be relying on hackers and dodgy websites in the future to "acquire" a lot of stuff.
This is my point, Afterburner is unavailable to anyone now, if it was a physical release then you could still chase a copy 2nd hand.

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Digital games. Another reason why I have an issue.

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Pretty much every WiiWare title is thankfully available on torrent sites (whether they are de-listed or not), and therefore can still be played on a modded Wii, so I guess/hope the same would happen with PSN/XBL titles, and our hacker friends are doing a similar job in preserving these games/files so that we can all still play them in the future, even if the official developers don't want to, or can't be bothered/afford to (maintain and provide them in an official manner).

Yeah, I know its not ideal, but I guess it may not be feasible for some companies to keep these digital games officially listed and available, especially if they have costly 3rd party license fees to pay (i guess one of the reasons Turtles might have been pulled).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests