Genuinely funny moments in games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LAIS

Genuinely funny moments in games

Post by LAIS » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:44 am

We all like a chuckle, but good comedy is something as a whole the world of gaming struggles with.

However, when gaming does get it right it produces classic moments that perhaps don't get the credit they deserve in the long term.

So let's give them credit now - which gaming moments have had you laughing out loud? For the right reasons, obviously!

For me:

* South Park: Stick of Truth - Parents bedroom - this whole game is hilarious, but this moment caught me off guard and had me in stitches. I'd link to it, but I'm pretty sure I'd be breaking a tonne of board rules!

* The Secret of Monkey Island - the vegetarian cannibals - again, there are loads of moments in this game that I could include, but meeting the vegetarian cannibals is my personal highlight. I'd include a link, but all Youtube videos seem to be of the special edition. That's all well and good, but I prefer the original. It's funny either way though.

* Portal - 'Still Alive' - Portal has a fantastic story, with some genuinely funny moments even though it's far from a comedy game. The song during the credits, 'Still Alive' is absolutely brilliant though. Genius. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI

merman

Re: Genuinely funny moments in games

Post by merman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:05 am

Nobby the Aardvark - packed with humour, including the amazing end sequence
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:45 pm

All of House of the Dead Overkill - one of the funniest scripts in a game for me. So many quotable moments!

A brand new one for me was the Piggy moneybank item in Paper Mario Colour Splash. It has to be seen to be believed so I'm posting a link to a video of it below (skip to around 0:40):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ij0ZaHgFSg
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:01 pm

Hey, great thread topic! This has got me thinking. There really haven't been all that many over the years, and I think its sadly lacking. I mean really, really sadly lacking because I really have to think hard to even come up with a handful. As opposed to the thousands and thousands ... and thousands of times I can recall blowing the limbs off of something.

I think the first hearty laugh I can recall is in Monkey Island, where Guybrush is digging in the cemetery and his pants fall down. Irreverent and brilliant.

Viz, on the Amiga, when you have to bounce or something to see whats happening over the wall, and whatever that scene is, is hilarious.

"No Tea" in your inventory in Hitchhikers guide. The vogon poetry reading bit in same game.

I'm sure I'll think of more as the day goes on but there really just haven't been enough funny moments in games, humour is desperately lacking I think in the video game world. And I mean really good humour, high quality stuff.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:40 pm

The Lego games, especially Lego Star Wars, The Complete Saga, proper laugh out loud moments.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:27 pm

The really cheesy dialogue from the original Resident Evil. 'Jill Sandwich', 'master of lock picking' and so fourth :)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Anything involving Torgue in the Borderlands games.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Shadows of the damned had me laughing quite a bit. That talking gun was crazy.

Also God Hand had some out there moments with the end credits roll being the greatest ever.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:26 pm

CPC Outrun because it was so terrible.

Eat your nans pants

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:20 am

The cut-scenes in the LEGO Star Wars games that are basically taking the p*ss are really funny. Such as the young Obi-Wan shaking his lightsabre as if the batteries are flat. Also some in-game things, like finding the 'Indiana Jones hat dispenser' for Han Solo, and finding that the 'secondary fire' action when riding a bantha makes it leave a pile of poo behind. :lol:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:57 pm

always thought the Lego cutscenes were funnier before they added voice acting though

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:06 pm

First game to actually make me laugh out loud was Punch Out on the NES. Purely from the characterisation and the animation in the game.

Typing of the Dead is a funny game. The word and phrase list is genius.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:09 pm

All the lego games arw funny to be fair. Killing Boromir with bananas instead of arrows in Lego LOTR was a nice touch hehe.

Zero wings into must top a lot of peoples list for its godawful translation.

Ill second house of the dead overkill as it has acracking script and that ending.... Wow! Typing ofthe dead amuses me because some of the sentences it makes you type are hilarious.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:11 am

Another vote for Godhand, a great set of special moves and awesome cutscenes

Portal 2, especially the bit where Glados is reduced to being a talking potato :lol:

I quite like Elpheit's victory quotes in Guilty Gear Xrd

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:18 am

Probably the biggest laughs in gaming are seeing people dying in stupid ways, flukes or accidents in multiplayer games.

Unfortunately I find most gags in RPGs and point-and-click adventures like Discworld and Monkey Island absolutely ruined by the painfully slow delivery of the animations and text. It's like having a six-year-old send you a Christmas cracker gag by morse code.