Sega Saturn Collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Saturn is certainly rising in price, especially Japanese titles.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Saturn is certainly rising in price, especially Japanese titles.

I have recently noticed this. I always knew a lot of Pal games were getting silly, but recently checked out the Japanese games as going to sell most of my PAL stuff and pick up the Japanese games.

I was lucky and got a load of Japanese titles early and literally pnly paid a couple of pound for each game in a big bundle years ago, Recently got them out to sort out and price up.

Shocked is an unserstatament.

Considering I own

Xmen vs streetfighter, Marvel vs Streetfighter with Ram packs ion the boxsets. and a few of the Fatal fury, samurai shodown. and King of fighters ones.

Plus

Castle of illusion/Quackshot double pack
Chase HQ/SCI double pack
Metal slug
power drift

etc

I also have elevator action returns and shocked at the price that is going for.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:27 am

Saturn stuff has got a little more expensive since I started collecting, but over the last year all import stuff has gone stupid because the exchange rate is no longer in the pounds favour against the yen.
couple of things that caught my eye over the last year:
Saturn batsugun bought for £55 in 2015 now £155 (same retailer), super famicom super star wars £29 in 2015, £69 now from the same retailer

there is no way i'd start a Saturn collection now and expect to get the more desirable games for a reasonable price (however radiant silvergun is still around £110 which is what I paid for it 6 or 7 years ago). there are consoles that are still relatively cheap to collect for PC engine, psone, ps2 dreamcast, megadrive, N64 and gamecube spring to mind.

however on my last trip to japan even common stuff like strider for the megadrive was coming in at around £30 because of the exchange rate. fricken sucks.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:08 am

sorry to hijack the thread but ive got
Manx TT
Clockwork Knight
Firestorm thunderhawk 2
virtua fighter 2
daytona usa

that I need to get rid of as I dont have the space or have a saturn
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 am

When I got into the Saturn about five years ago, it wasn't that expensive at all. The console was £20 (including a 50/60 Hz mod), the Action Replay was another £20 and I think another £20 got me an X Men/Marvel vs Street-Fighter bundle. I was able to buy everything in bits and bobs over a period of time without any major cash outlay. I didn't get into the expensive shooters (the only one I have is Layer Section) and the most expensive Japanese game I bought was Metal Slug (Radiant Silvergun is available on XBLA if you have an XBox 360 BTW).

There are plenty of games available in the PAL library, though. Most of the big PS1 titles from the mid to late 90s are also available on the Saturn (I didn't have a PS1 back in the day so I was able to take full advantage of this).

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Saturn games now seem to be at a premium unfortunately. There is no way I could justify buying what I now own at today's prices.

If importing and you don't want to mod, then get an NTSC console and use an AR cart to cover US, JP games and non-optimised PAL games which run fine at 60Hz. By mixing and matching regions you can keep the price down sometimes.

Most of the big PAL releases will glitch a bit at 60Hz as they received some optimisation - but imports of these are usually pretty cheap to pick up and are still decent games:

Sega Rally, VF2, Nights, Fighters Megamix, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Athlete Kings and Winter Heat are all good and probably easy to get no matter what the region.

Saturn Bomberman is excellent but pricey - I think the JP version is affordable but then you have JP menus to contend with and the game has a lot of options.

Saturn got a solid version of Tempest 2000 with a steadier framerate and red book audio over the Jaguar version.

Baku Baku Animal is an excellent underrated puzzle game which is superb in 2 player.

Exhumed got a solid port on Saturn. And if you get Duke Nukem - also good - you can unlock Death Tank Zwei which is like a non turned based version of Worms - well worth a look.

If you like Video game pinball - check out Last Gladiators which is excellent. Also Tilt (aka Hyper 3D Pinball in JP) and Pro Pinball:The Web which loads 10 times faster than the PS1 version for some reason. Last Gladiators got a sequel called Necronimicon which is supposed to be great but it's JP only.

If you like Sonic, then Sonic Jam is well worth a look with recreates all the main Megadrive games in the series complete will cart lock ons. (PAL version a bit iffy though - better to import).

The elephant in the room with Saturn though is that its best games are 2D shooters and versus fighters and they are going to cost and will require importing.

Layer Section*, Soukyugarentai, Parodius series*, Gamer Paradise, Gradius Deluxe Pack, Salamander Deluxe Pack, Radiant Silvergun , DoDonPachi** are all rightfully highly thought of as are The Streetfighter and Darkstalkers series. The Capcom versus games are great too. Thing is they have a price to match. A lot of the later fighters (SFA3, XMen v Streetfighter, Marvel v Streetfighter, Vampire Hunter) need a 4MB RAM pack but if you have an AR cart that will do the trick.

There are some shmups such as Blastwind and Battle Garegga which are ultra expensive - their cost has shot through the roof - £200 or thereabouts and higher depending on condition, spine cards etc.

* Layer Section got a PAL release called Galactic Attack. The first Parodius disc also got a PAL release.
** DDP looks really rough unless you use the excellent TATE mode and rotate your screen.(Layer Section benefits from this a great deal too though it looks fine in normal mode).

Saturn also got some really nice Sega Ages series games - Afterburner 2, Space Harrier and Outrun are on one disc in PAL but they run letterboxed and the Outrun timer was adjusted incorrectly and runs too quickly. JP got Sega Ages individual releases and are probably better to go for (again can be more expensive) but you get some others like Fantasy Zone which is a lovely game.

The Saturn 6 button controller is excellent and you really won't need to invest in anything else - look out for the 2nd version which is considered a bit better by most. There is a 3D controller which some games support and looks a bit like an early version of the DC controller - but it feels a LOT better to use. You can get arcade sticks but the JP versions are better to get which pushes the prices up again.

RGB SCART is the way to go. If you get a JP machine you may need to get a JP SCART lead. They can be got from UK suppliers reasonably easily (at least you could last time I checked). You will also need a step down power converter for an NTSC machine - again pretty easy to get hold of.

Also look out for an official memory cart if yo don't get an AR cart to save games on. You will also need a button battery for the system clock and also some on-board backup memory built into the console.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:05 pm

Trixta wrote:sorry to hijack the thread but ive got
Manx TT
Clockwork Knight
Firestorm thunderhawk 2
virtua fighter 2
daytona usa

I would be happy to *ahem* relieve you of Daytona and Clockwork Night (PAL copies right? )

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:53 am

Just packing up my games room for the move, I wont see the Saturn Games again for a little while

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:50 pm

^Certainly look nicer then some of the conditions of my Saturn games (Not by me, darn cardboard.). :lol: Just amazing how we went from the perfect Mega Drive boxes to the crappy cardboard plastic hybrid Saturn cases to the Dreamcast which while better, still easy to crack sometimes but at lease you can swap out both front and back covers unlike PS1.

Speaking of PS1, even some of that stuff has gone up a little. Was surprised that both my listings for the Crash trilogy and the Spyro trilogy when for over £80 each. Especially when I remember the days of Crash 1 being only a few quid....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:41 am

RetroMartin wrote:
Trixta wrote:sorry to hijack the thread but ive got
Manx TT
Clockwork Knight
Firestorm thunderhawk 2
virtua fighter 2
daytona usa

I would be happy to *ahem* relieve you of Daytona and Clockwork Night (PAL copies right? )
sorry I should've said, I wanna get rid of them as a bundle. I also have shinobi X box and Manuel (no idea where the disc is)
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:33 am

merman wrote:Finding boxed games in good condition is getting tougher - those stupid cardboard covers!
In the US we got hard plastic boxes.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:46 am

Tabe wrote:
merman wrote:Finding boxed games in good condition is getting tougher - those stupid cardboard covers!
In the US we got hard plastic boxes.
They are pretty brittle though. I have a couple of US Saturn games and I reckon the cases would shatter easily. They look far nicer though. Later PAL Saturn releases got DVD style cases which were much better, but the white background of the US game is more pleasing.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Apparently, the US Saturn used the left over US Sega CD cases as well, hardly anyone had a SEGA CD back then. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 pm

I thought i would revive this topic as I've not posted here for a few years, its nice to be back.

Ive been collecting for Sega Saturn since 2008. Mainly Japanese games but later with hardware. After all these years there are still loads of games I've yet to play or pick up, even simple ones like Tomb Raiders and House of the dead.

Im still after my first arcade stick so i can really enjoy all the shooters properly. I grew up with consoles and controllers so I'm not a kid of the arcade. Im so much looking forward to playing the arcade ports how they were meant to have been.

I don't see an end of my collecting for the Saturn, it's a gorgeous system and with that said, here is a lovely pic of my saturn consoles......
Attachments
Riddler.jpg
Riddler.jpg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 110 times

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:53 pm

nice selection of consoles riddler. I have a white one and a derby stallion version myself.

at some point I wlll pick up a bog standard launch release model too so I can play space harrier and outrun properly.