Sega Saturn Collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroPlayer
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by RetroPlayer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:36 am

Going to pick up another Saturn in the new year, as I still own copies of Sega Rally, Virtual Fighter 2 and Nights.

Seen a few for sale at around £85/£90. Is this a decent price these days?
Any game suggestions for the Saturn would be appreciated too? :)

User avatar
Big Shoes
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: Crawley

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:27 am

A console should be around £30-£40, ignore the hopers trying to get a high buy-it-now price. You should get one with a few games for about £50.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24340
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:50 am

And hope to get lucky on buying a few games, Saturn stuff is bloody expensive

Unless you go Japanese

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by theantmeister » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:02 pm

Big Shoes wrote:A console should be around £30-£40, ignore the hopers trying to get a high buy-it-now price. You should get one with a few games for about £50.
Yeah, I paid £50 for mine with an RGB cable and three games a few years ago in a high street video game store.

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6337
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by merman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:42 pm

Finding boxed games in good condition is getting tougher - those stupid cardboard covers!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RetroPlayer
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by RetroPlayer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Cheers guys.
So no more than around £50 for a reasonable Saturn. I'll get looking. :)

merman, I already have copies of both Virtual Fighter 2 and Nights Into Dreams with cardboard box covers, along with a plastic boxed copy of Sega Rally from back in the 90's, when I first owned the Saturn.
Kept them in good condition in the hope of playing them again someday.
Looking forward to playing them soon. :D

ALK
Posts: 2940
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by ALK » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Maybe a modded console so you have the best of all worlds? Another thing to consider is I believe someone finally cracked it's anti-piracy coding or such not long ago, so we might be getting some kind of Everdrive-like device in the not too distant future.

I also heard the disc drives are failing more often lately, so yeah be careful with what you buy.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
c0nfu53d
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:35 am

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:15 pm

I still have my Saturn. Never gonna part with it.

I'd recommend Baku Baku Animal, Burning Rangers and Shining The Holy Ark. Baku is cheap but the other two will set you back abit, though

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24340
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:28 pm

ALK wrote:Maybe a modded console so you have the best of all worlds? Another thing to consider is I believe someone finally cracked it's anti-piracy coding or such not long ago, so we might be getting some kind of Everdrive-like device in the not too distant future.

I also heard the disc drives are failing more often lately, so yeah be careful with what you buy.
Its been cracked for years, you can mod a Action replay 4-1 to act like a mod chip

The Rhea can be used for loading ISOs off a SD card, it replaced the disc drive
merman wrote:Finding boxed games in good condition is getting tougher - those stupid cardboard covers!
Not really cardboard, just the outer part is

User avatar
RetroMartin
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:18 pm

Ive got 2 PAL ones, one the laser is a little iffy so the odd bit on a game judders during cutscenes but thats rare, the other has a really wavy start up splash but runs the games fine.

I picked up christmas nights this year. I dont have many games and no rare ones but im still hopeful to get shining force 3, bug 2, dark saviour, normal nights, burning rangers and a replacement copy of croc sometime (my copy wont load thebody just the eyeballs and the backpack which makes for an awesome hard mode)
Image

PSN username - MartinPhantom

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24340
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:35 pm

RetroMartin wrote:a replacement copy of croc sometime (my copy wont load thebody just the eyeballs and the backpack which makes for an awesome hard mode)
Thats a problem in PAL copies

http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/2616

User avatar
silvergunner
Posts: 1916
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:09 pm
Location: Stockton

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by silvergunner » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:52 am

DPrinny wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:a replacement copy of croc sometime (my copy wont load thebody just the eyeballs and the backpack which makes for an awesome hard mode)
Thats a problem in PAL copies

http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/2616
Aye strange how booting up the machine without a disc in then putting croc in solved the issue.

Got to love idiots who think it's a pain in the backside to boot their saturn up without a disc in :lol:

User avatar
RetroMartin
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:57 pm

silvergunner wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:a replacement copy of croc sometime (my copy wont load thebody just the eyeballs and the backpack which makes for an awesome hard mode)
Thats a problem in PAL copies

http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/2616
Aye strange how booting up the machine without a disc in then putting croc in solved the issue.

Got to love idiots who think it's a pain in the backside to boot their saturn up without a disc in :lol:
Think my copy is buggered then because originally i had to do that on my first saturn to get it to load stuff. Still had the croc issue
Image

PSN username - MartinPhantom

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:57 pm

Seems to be very little middle ground with Saturn games, they're all either cheap or stupidly expensive
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24340
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:38 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Seems to be very little middle ground with Saturn games, they're all either cheap or stupidly expensive
But you can get quality on the cheap,
The likes of Sega rally, Virtua fighter 2 and errrm

Ok two games OTTOMH

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests