Where does "Retro" end?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Re: Where does "Retro" end?

Post by pratty » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:40 am

I don't think a fixed definition matters. The magazine covers old games (as well as new) much more than others and that sets it apart. And the majority of us here are general game enthusiasts, so we play and/or discuss games from all eras, just as film and book lovers don't limit themselves to only modern releases.

Though with gaming there does seem to be more of a distinction between gamers who play old and new and those who only play the current stuff. So from this perspective last gen might as well be retro, because say to the average modern gamer that you're still playing last gen systems and you'll probably get a weird look.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:10 pm

slacey1070 wrote: A machine that is still available in argos isn't retro.
You can still get an audio cassette player or walkman at Argos. That seems pretty retro to me.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:53 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
ArchaicKoala wrote:In regards to the "metre stick" approach, I'd have no quarms with an article on the early 360 titles such as Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Piñata and the subsequent early arcade titles in the near future ;)
indeed, the 360 should be in the mag, 11 years is a huge amount of time, readers who are now 40 will have been playing the 360 in their late 20's! that's a lifetime ago, nonsensical decision from daran to move the goalposts.
I explained why the decision was made. It's not nonsensical, but then it wouldn't be a thread without you coming along and taking a pop. We'll cover 360 stuff when its suitable because as you said to some it is retro, but its not a priority compared to the gen before it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Knew this would end well :lol:

Most people tend to view retro hand in hand within their own personal Nostalgia. So it's understandable there are so many opinions and yardsticks of it. I've always maintained mine is two gens previous from a specific point of view, but my heart always tells me retro are my childhood systems.

So I do understand the varying opinions and passion, the heatedness seems so silly at the end of the day when there's no real 'right' and no real 'wrong' and what we are talking about are entertainment games and toys. :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:23 pm

kiwimike wrote:Knew this would end well :lol:

Most people tend to view retro hand in hand within their own personal Nostalgia. So it's understandable there are so many opinions and yardsticks of it. I've always maintained mine is two gens previous from a specific point of view, but my heart always tells me retro are my childhood systems.

So I do understand the varying opinions and passion, the heatedness seems so silly at the end of the day when there's no real 'right' and no real 'wrong' and what we are talking about are entertainment games and toys. :)
More so when you realise these are grown men and not children in playgrounds...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:42 pm

English Invader wrote:
slacey1070 wrote: A machine that is still available in argos isn't retro.
You can still get an audio cassette player or walkman at Argos. That seems pretty retro to me.
:lol: I still have my Walkman, specifically because it has such a decent am/fm radio in it. But no cassettes to play!

GREENHORN

Post by GREENHORN » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:55 pm

To me retro never ends,
It's what you make of it,
Arguing about, what's right and the wrong, when retro began and stopped is a personal point of view.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:49 am

GREENHORN wrote:To me retro never ends,
It's what you make of it,
Arguing about, what's right and the wrong, when retro began and stopped is a personal point of view.
It is quite simple, Retro gaming has no set definition as it is different for everybody mainly due to age or when you first started gaming. It is a bit silly to argue anything as it's an argument people cannot win, I agree Retro will never end as every passing day brings retro closer to being called just that to someone.
I have been gaming since the ZX81, I loved it then and still love it now on my PS4 Pro.
All I am doing on my PS4 is playing retro games of the future, so I will decide when games are Retro, no one else can do it for me. Retro Gamer the magazine has to cater for the fourty something and the teenager who's definition of Retro will more than likely be different.
That in itself is a very hard task, just because someone has a different opinion on what constitutes a Retro Game doesn't make them right or wrong. As has been said countless times it's all down to the individual and how they perceive it.
Granted my son is only eleven but when I show him a Spectrum or Snes game he just laughs and dismisses it as garbage, Retro to him now he has an Xbox One is a Xbox 360.
The term Retro Gaming just is constantly changing With each gaming generation thus has no this is where Retro ends so has no set definition, imo of course
"Time fades even legend..."

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:41 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: More so when you realise these are grown men and not children in playgrounds...
Some of them are very small men though. So please offer some lenience.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:43 am

Where does the where does retro end debate end?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:43 pm

I think (as has been mentioned) that we are coming to a time when 'retro' isn't the right word to use, or at least isn't the only word that should be used.

Vintage could be used to describe old systems, 'retro' for games that imitate a style from a more recent past.

'Vintage Gamer' anyone?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:29 am

I'm not having the 360 as retro. Not in a month of Sundays!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:05 am

greenberet79 wrote:I'm not having the 360 as retro. Not in a month of Sundays!
But it clearly is going to be considered retro by the vast majority of the gaming population in 10 years+ time. It becomes a lot easier to discuss retro if you actually look at it from a non personal viewpoint. I think the main thing is that many people equate retro with nostalgia and as nostalgia is typically something people associate to their chidlhoods they can't place it with newer stuff. I've done it myself.

I think the sad thing is that in 20 years time the vast majority of 8-bit home computer games won't even be discussed by the gaming press (or whatever its equivalent is at that time).

davyK

Post by davyK » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:55 pm

I think the "-2 gen" stipulation is a good rule of thumb. The 360 is in transition. It isn't retro but it certainly isn't current gen. So the games will gradually dry up and having another rule of retro means having no games being published outside indie is another indicator. I don't believe in having any hard and fast rules - but you can those two to test if a console is bordering on retro or not.

There aren't any retro games anyhow - only good ones and bad ones.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:10 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote: All in all, who cares?
^^^
Most sensible words spoken so far I think!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.