Where does "Retro" end?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gaming Jay

Where does "Retro" end?

Post by Gaming Jay » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:09 pm

This is a random question that I've thought about from time to time, and I know people have various opinions about it, so not expecting a definitive answer here, but what is a "retro game" to you guys, and where does "retro" end? For example, is a PS2 or Xbox game a retro game?

To me the true retro era ends around the time of N64, but Everything before the PS3 and Xbox 360 still feels old and "can" be called retro. On a long car ride recently I was wondering if we are reaching a point where we need a new term for the N64-Xbox 360 era like "old school" or something to differentiate it from like Atari and NES games

OK... long musing ramble over... let me know what you guys think!

c0nfu53d

Re: Where does "Retro" end?

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Only consoles with wood casing are retro. That plastic stuff is toooooo modern...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:35 am

Lol this will end well! :wink:

Retro never ends when all is said and done- it all becomes retro in the long run. Even the players...! But everyone tends to have their own definition. My one has always been you have current gen, previous gen, then late retro begins two gens previous. Of course, it's only a loose guide and in some cases it seems odd- Playing REmake or RE4 on Cube doesn't feel retro. But I find this guide works for me :)

Now! My tip for people wanting a collection of retro at a budget- go for 'late retro' because the value goes up quick!

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:08 am

This has been discussed a LOT, but for me, retro is before it all went 3D. After that, it's all pretty much the same as now, but the graphics were worse. So the main systems I think of as retro are the VCS, Vic 20, C64, Spectrum, and Amiga.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:53 am

Isn't it obvious? It ends with 'o'.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:04 am

necronom wrote:This has been discussed a LOT, but for me, retro is before it all went 3D. After that, it's all pretty much the same as now, but the graphics were worse. So the main systems I think of as retro are the VCS, Vic 20, C64, Spectrum, and Amiga.

I generally agree. However I do see older PC stuff like Twinsen, Ecstatica, Wing Commander etc as retro also.

But it's down to personal opinion. Some younger gamers may see stuff that's REALLY old as obsolete, and more modern systems (eg PS1, Saturn) as retro, in the same way that I wouldn't see a Model T Ford as retro but would be drooling over a 1966 Ford Mustang.

It's a matter of opinion, and I wouldn't say anyone else was wrong if their 'retro' was a PS2.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:48 am

As others have said this will not end well. When people ask this question they are looking for a set console or date. I think its more a matter of personal taste. For some people on this forum its the 8 bit micro computers others its later stuff like the Dreamcast. Personally I enjoy most games and systems however for me around 1995 / start of 3D era is were 'retro' stops and the more modern stuff begins. Games on the SNES / MD / Amiga all looked amazing yet when all the 3D stuff started it looked bad. All those early PS1 / Saturn games looked censored to my eyes, I think Mario 64 was the only 3D game I was interested in back then. Is that not part of the reason the Saturn did not do that well. Was it not designed as a 2D power house that could do 3D yet all the most of its games are in 3D because of the PS1.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:55 am

Old question with an old answer. Two generations is always the answer.

Right now PS2 is retro. PS3 isn't.

Or it is. I don't know.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:56 am

For me, N64/PS1 era are retro. everything after is not.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:09 am

PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube have now entered Retro territory for me.

Everything becomes retro by definition, you can't say it has to be a certain style, or it has to be 2d. Thats not how Retro works. Just like you can have modern 2D games, by the same token you can have Retro 3D games.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:06 pm

retro is whenever you want it to be.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:20 pm

For me 2 gens old is retro.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:32 pm

Retro = Dave

Eat your nans pants

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:29 pm

for me, anything post N64