Top 5 games you played this year

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Top 5 games you played this year

Post by theantmeister » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:02 am

So we've had the top 5 games released this year, let's have the top 5 games you played this year that weren't necessarily released in 2016.

Negative Creep

Re: Top 5 games you played this year

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:15 am

Doom - massive breath of fresh air, everything I was hoping it would be. Ok so it got a bit samey in later levels, but it was a blast to play
Fallout 4 - I never really got into the crafting side, but loved all the small touches thy made to improve the overall experience
Rise of the Tomb Raider - looked beautiful, played really well .Score attack was a bit pointless, but the main game was good enough for me not to care
Forza Horizon 3 - stunning graphics, massive amount to do, looking forward to Blizzard Mountain
Rocket League - so simple to play yet difficult to master. The only competitive multiplayer game I play, since it always feels like a loss is down to my lack of skill rather than cheapness or exploits

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:27 am

Personally, I had a brilliant year when it comes to games. I decided to finally play through some proper classics:

Castlevania: Symphony of the night
The prototypical metroidvania, I really enjoyed this game. I think I missed a load of stuff though.

Doom (2016)
This was on my top 5 of 2016 and I think it ranks up there with the other games on this list.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
An epic game. Maybe a little too epic (it outstays it's welcome a touch), but not enough to ruin the experience.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
Under the mock 80's movie neon style (which I love, personally) there's a great first person shooter. The save system nearly made me abandon the game on the first level though. But it redeemed itself and I actually 100%'d it.

Super Metroid
It was a close run thing between this and XCOM 2, but Super Metroid is a classic for a reason. I didn't like it as much as Metroid Fusion, but it is still my second favourite Metroid game. That's mainly down to the controls, which can be a bit fiddly. Wall jumping is a nightmare and the screw attack is too hit and miss.

There were so many games that didn't quite make my list that still deserve a mention. I constantly played Fallout 4, Civ VI and loads of indie games (The Stanley Parable was probably the highlight) and even Yoshi's Island.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:50 am

1. Amazing game.

2. Story based visual novel a sort of cross between Phoenix Wright and a surgical sim

3. Always addictive and probably the best structured platform game I've ever seen

4. MM play this every year at some point

5. Surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Too short though

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:08 pm

1. Fallout New Vegas - backwards compatibility really helped me get into a wide range of old games this year, and this was one of them.

2. I Am Setsuna - I'm playing this right now. I'd ranked it slightly lower in my 'best games released this year' - and I've since come to love it even more.

3. Klaus- a brilliant, criminally underrated indie game.

4. Superhot - Another indie game I adore. Very original.

5. Football Manager 2017 - I forgot to include this on my original list. I've played a lot of FM this year for the first time in a long time, and I'm having a heck of a lot of fun doing so.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:10 pm

disney infinity (almost got all the characters for it and need about twenty-odd power discs too)

lego indiana jones original adventures (i was stuck on a stupidily easy bit, the end of the raiders levels, and couldn't bloody work it out! one read on gamefaqs and it was easy peasy :lol: )

tomb raider legend (found out my PC could play the demo and got right back into it, that first big puzzle section was such a censored, and only recently found it was childishly easy :oops: i did get to the end of the bolivian level on the PS2 game ..... stupid helicopter!)

umihara kawase (thanks retro gamer magazine :mrgreen: and now i'm gonna punch you for me playing such a bastard of a game :D )

and of course, the eleventy billion hours of GTAV, spent a few all nighters just on that!!!!

simmed FIFA07, FIRE PRO RETURNS and NHLPA93 to play out my custom competitions

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:20 am

#1 - Overwatch
#2 - Hearthstone
#3 - Doom (2016)
#4 - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X
#5 - Project Diva: Future Tone

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:21 pm

In no particular order.

1. Fallout 4 PS4 for the improved physics and graphics though Fallout 3 is the stand out game of the series. I mean in 3 your weapons need fixing so no relying on that same weapon all the time.

2. Broken Sword 5 PS4 nice to play a different style of game.

3. Skyrim Special Edition PS4 just to experience the improved graphics and not played it since the original one came out etc...

4. Monkey Island special edition collection xbox 360 finally got to play it in the summer..

5. Pinball Arcade season 2 PS4 - It's got the Terminator 2 table and more!

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:07 pm

1- Darksiders Warmastered Edition PS4 Pro, this is simply a fantastic game, very much in the Soul Reaver category with some Zelda mixed in, please release a third instalment

2-Shovel Night, fantastic game PS4

3-Super Star Wars, loved it back in the day, still love it now PS4, where are the other two in the series

4-Destiny, still loving it 2 years after release although my interest is waning, need Destiny 2 asap PS4

5-The various Neo Geo releases on PS4
"Time fades even legend..."

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:33 pm

In no real order (not played very much, this year)

1 Doom Xone
2 The Bunker PS4
3 Lego Star Wars Force Awakens Xone
4 Mario Maker WiiU
5 Leo's Fortune Xone
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:37 pm

In no order:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii-U)
Until Dawn (PS4)
Enthusia Professional Racing (PS2)
Street Fighter III: Third Strike (PS2)
Project X Zone 2 (3DS)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.