The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Will you buy a The64?

Yes
21%
No
63%
Can't Decide
16%

Total votes: 38

Antiriad2097

Re: The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:19 am

it isn't too small to type with. People type on phones all the time. Tiny bluetooth keyboards are available, some even small enough to fit on joypads. The range of Palm devices had keyboards and were smaller than the mini C64.

They've missed a trick imo. A fully functional keyboard, preferably usable as a bluetooth keyboard with other devices, would have warranted a purchase from me.

I don't want the big version, I want something small I can chuck down the side of the sofa/bed, like I do with the bluetooth Spectrum.

It might be fine for the built in games, but it'll impact on the ones you add yourself and completely rule out some games.

As it is, this isn't much better than the C64 DTV. Depending on how good the emulation is, it might even be worse.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Back in Time Sime

Post by Back in Time Sime » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 am

There is something that confuses me with all of such things, if you want to that original feel, then you use the original, my C64 is always close to hand, I have a disk drive and a tape drive for when I want that complete feeling, if I want the real hardware but maybe less fuss, then I stick my 1541 Ultimate cart in and its amazing... If though I just want to monkey around, then I just use emulation... There is so many ways to emulate anyway that a dedicated emulation device seems a little, well, pointless... but thats me, so any dedicated emulation device has to offer something amazing...
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:09 am

The DTV was done by the same person. So this a much improved version of that.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:19 am
it isn't too small to type with. People type on phones all the time. Tiny bluetooth keyboards are available, some even small enough to fit on joypads. The range of Palm devices had keyboards and were smaller than the mini C64.

They've missed a trick imo. A fully functional keyboard, preferably usable as a bluetooth keyboard with other devices, would have warranted a purchase from me.

I don't want the big version, I want something small I can chuck down the side of the sofa/bed, like I do with the bluetooth Spectrum.

It might be fine for the built in games, but it'll impact on the ones you add yourself and completely rule out some games.

As it is, this isn't much better than the C64 DTV. Depending on how good the emulation is, it might even be worse.
The operative word in what I wrote was comfortably. They could easily get a small keyboard suitable for two-finger pokery into it, but it's well below the threshold that's suitable for touch typing and the individual keys would be much smaller than even those on the Spectrum, making it a poor choice for controlling other devices.

Mostly, I suspect they left it out because the costs of including keyboards in small production run devices are high, with major up front expenses in getting custom mouldings made. I'm not sure how many they're making, but if the initial production run was only a few thousand that might be adding £50 or so to the price per unit. That's worth it for something like the GPD Win, which is much more expensive and would be barely functional without it, but very much an extravagance for a plug-and-play games machine.

In any case, I gather that it supports external USB keyboards, so if you want to play games that really need one on it that's your option.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:51 pm

It looks really cute, and has a cool list of games. Depends of what our final price is, but I can see me getting one of those.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 pm

The Laird wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:09 am
The DTV was done by the same person. So this a much improved version of that.
Well, at least they have a fantastic list of games for this thing. I have a D64TV and 80% of the games are pretty low scoring fodder.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:51 pm

The Laird wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:13 am
kiwimike wrote:I am a little concerned (not that I was locked into buying either) of the incestuous connection with this and the infamous Vega, the interconnections with former members etc. Little bit of a war of words going on FB. So like everyone, will get my popcorn out of the microwave, take a seat and see what happens!

It does my head in :lol:
Actually there is very little connection between this and the Vega+, that is the whole point. The current RCL people wanted a piece of this pie too and were told no, which then caused a big argument which contributed to Andrews and Smith resigning. The64 was meant to be a project that was done after the Vega+ so it wouldn't interfere or cause confusion. After Andrews and Smith left that didn't matter anymore, so it was brought forward. The64 was always Darren Melbourne's baby, he wasn't part of the Vega team.

I have seen a prototype of The64, and it's pretty cool, despite me not being a fan of the commode :lol:
Yes, in hindsight after following the social media saga I do realise now how it intertwines, the Vega+ and the Mini C64. And at the end of the day, after all the battle of words, actions do speak way more volumes than words. Which one is most likely to see the light of day, and which group seem the most honourable? I will no longer offer cash up front for any kickstarters except if they are from honest trustworthy crew with good track records (Like Fusion books) but happy to preorder from a distributor if an actual release date is locked in.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:39 am

Looks cute but essentially it's still just an emulator that just emulates one machine & by the time you've plugged in a separate joystick, a seperate keyboard, power lead & aerial lead I'm not sure how "plug & play" it is.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 am

This one doesn't spark as much interest with me as it is just an emulator running on raspberry pie'ish hardware. It's a nice little design but they could have made the keyboard functional even if not a practical size for proper typing. It also does't offer any new enhancements.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Well it's now available for preorder in NZ from a reliable source, so may just grab this. Got some good titles on board, love Hghway Encounter :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 am

Thinking about this, they should have made the mini a C64GS mini if the keyboard was going to be non functional all along. It makes more sense.

If you just want something that looks like a C64 but isn't wholly functional, you may as well just buy one of these for a fraction of the price:
https://retropicases.com/products/commo ... ry-pi-case
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:19 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 am
If you just want something that looks like a C64 but isn't wholly functional, you may as well just buy one of these for a fraction of the price:
https://retropicases.com/products/commo ... ry-pi-case
It goes back to the same argument as the NES Mini - do you want something official and 100% legal that supports the original developers of the games or not?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 am

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 am
https://www.c64forever.com/
Are you trying to tell me that all those 5000 ROMs it talks about are officially licensed? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:15 pm

ROMs? What ROMs? There's a database with 5000 prepopulated entries so you can add your own games without much fuss, it has all the background info to save you manually compiling it. Is that what you refer to?