The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Will you buy a The64?

Yes
21%
No
63%
Can't Decide
16%

Total votes: 38

Crusty Starfish

Re: The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:34 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:26 am
Crusty Starfish wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:00 am
The Laird wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:01 pm
The bigger model isn't out yet but is in prototype stage, I've seen it!
I thought you didn't like the C64?! :?

Anyway, is there a release date for the bigger version and as the questions above by English Invader weren't answered: Can The64 handle multi-load games and cartridge files or not?
I didn't answer the multi-load question because I am not sure on the exact answer! Simple really, I didn't actually design this you know. I suggest looking at the FAQ and technical information on the official website for the answer: https://thec64.com/faq/

And what on earth does my opinion on the C64 have to do with me seeing prototype of the bigger model, I am not entirely sure how the two are even remotely connected.
I thought you were part of this company/promoting it? Yet you've said before you don't like the C64. As for answering the question, I just assumed with what I thought was a connection, you'd know or be able to find out - I was obviously mistaken. Never mind.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:30 pm

A definite early-ish adoption for me. Got a couple of USB keyboards so don't think I'll hold out till the full-size version.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:04 am

It looks cool, has some great games, and a fair price point. I may just treat myself this easter weekend if there's stock about :)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:34 pm

Had a go on mine today, unfortunately I think the joystick is garbage and I can't get any other usb one to register, if anyone else has managed to get one to let me know cos it'll make this way more useable.
Splink!

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:14 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:34 pm
Had a go on mine today, unfortunately I think the joystick is garbage and I can't get any other usb one to register, if anyone else has managed to get one to let me know cos it'll make this way more useable.
I think the quality and feedback from the joystick is fine, but I prefer a proper pad on any platform; using joysticks is just too difficult these days! It might have helped if they'd included suction pads on the bottom. Thankfully the USB Logitech pads are compatible with the C64 mini. Don't bother trying any PS3/PS4/XONE pads... they're not recognised.

Looking forward to the future firmware which will improve the way we can play ROMs. Currently, you can only have 5 on there at once (x1 USB, x4 save states).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Suction cups on A Comp Pro is just wrong. Handheld, and far better than a pad.

Though I don't like the USB Comp Pro I bought, its too loose and click, doesn't feel anything like my real one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:26 am

batman877 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:14 pm
felgekarp wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:34 pm
I think the quality and feedback from the joystick is fine, but I prefer a proper pad on any platform; using joysticks is just too difficult these days! It might have helped if they'd included suction pads on the bottom. Thankfully the USB Logitech pads are compatible with the C64 mini. Don't bother trying any PS3/PS4/XONE pads... they're not recognised.

Looking forward to the future firmware which will improve the way we can play ROMs. Currently, you can only have 5 on there at once (x1 USB, x4 save states).
Nice one, I'll look into getting one of those pads.
Splink!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Here is the worldwide exclusive reveal of the new full-size version of THEC64 - time to start saving those pennies everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOBMv4ClspE