The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Will you buy a The64?

Yes
21%
No
63%
Can't Decide
16%

Total votes: 38

kiwimike

Re: The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Post by kiwimike » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:08 pm

killbot wrote:It would make more sense if the handheld could be docked in the keyboard for desktop use, rather than them being two seperate deviced sold seperately. If I want to play games on the go and at home on my TV I have to pay twice? Nah.

If the price was right I might be tempted by the desktop version but these things are always so expensive. The Vega was £100 at launch and this is likely to be even more; I'm saving up for a Switch at the moment so this is low on the list of things to get.

These kind of things, when they originated, used to be fairly cheap. Things like the Atari Flashback and the Intellivision plug-n-play were cheap 'n cheerful, as were the old Blaze Megadrive units. Since that bloody awful Neo Geo X came out there seems to have been a switch to selling them as premium products at a premium price, even if the device itself is just running very dodgy emulation. It's all a bit odd because people wanting a bit of cheap nostalgia won't pay £100-£200 for it, and hardcore fans won't want it because it just isn't accurate enough. The new NES and Mega Drive units, which sell for £50 or less, are more like it.
You're absolutely spot on. The early plug n plays were priced right, and were good enough but not perfect. And fun. I loved the idea of Neo Geo x but just could not bring myself to hand over so much for what was a flash looking plug n play. As you say, too expensive for the casual or nostalgic fan, not accurate enough for the trainspotters :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:07 pm

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare it to mass produced plug-and-plays price wise, as they are typically made in the hundreds of thousands - if not millions - and benefit considerably from economies of scale. There just aren't going to be many devices where there's enough of a market to do that with though, and even when there is it tends to saturate pretty quickly.

That said, even a £100 device still need to fit enough of a niche to sell a few thousand units, and it looks like they're struggling a bit here.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:30 am

Yeah to a degree that's fair- For example you expect to pay more for a book in a niche market limited run than a mainstream. Still- These products- which when said and done ARE plug and plays with emulators- Tend to be overpriced. And if you are going to set that price, they absolutely have to be spot on.

I am looking for the Colecovision version with built in games though! :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:17 am

A new update from the team behind this:
Update 3 of 3 (9th April 2017)

Ladies and Gentleman, backers, supporters and pre-order supporters… We take great pleasure in presenting to you all for your eyes for the very first time, the first trial plastics for…

THE64 MINI

These plastics and CAD files are now with the manufactures, to prep and finalise, and we are tying in (as we said before) the whole range to be manufactured for maximum efficiency for obvious reasons. So while we are slightly behind where we hoped we would be in the time line, we hope you will enjoy this first official glimpse of THE64 MINI, it is approximately 50% the size of an original computer, but does a lot, and with a full modern specification while still allowing you to play the built in games but also use as a computer as well. Fuller details very soon!

As per the prior updates, keep watching for more in the next few weeks, with information, choices, game polls and so on, as we now motor this project along.

Once more thank you all for your patience, your faith, and your support, now we will leave you all to feast your eyes on the future, which is the past, and now the future again!!
Facebook Page

Article at Flickering Myth

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm

I forgot that was even coming!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:31 pm

I am a little concerned (not that I was locked into buying either) of the incestuous connection with this and the infamous Vega, the interconnections with former members etc. Little bit of a war of words going on FB. So like everyone, will get my popcorn out of the microwave, take a seat and see what happens!

It does my head in :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:13 am

kiwimike wrote:I am a little concerned (not that I was locked into buying either) of the incestuous connection with this and the infamous Vega, the interconnections with former members etc. Little bit of a war of words going on FB. So like everyone, will get my popcorn out of the microwave, take a seat and see what happens!

It does my head in :lol:
Actually there is very little connection between this and the Vega+, that is the whole point. The current RCL people wanted a piece of this pie too and were told no, which then caused a big argument which contributed to Andrews and Smith resigning. The64 was meant to be a project that was done after the Vega+ so it wouldn't interfere or cause confusion. After Andrews and Smith left that didn't matter anymore, so it was brought forward. The64 was always Darren Melbourne's baby, he wasn't part of the Vega team.

I have seen a prototype of The64, and it's pretty cool, despite me not being a fan of the commode :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:52 am

markopoloman wrote:I forgot that was even coming!
I'm no Commodore fan but this does look very good, told my old C64 mate from back in the day and he loves the look of it. Its been delayed (As other campaigns have been ;) which is quite common. Does look good though, hope all goes well for it. Love the look of the handheld console

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:49 pm

I was at their head office today for a business meeting and got to try one of the very first units off the production line. A video below for those that are interested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CRXR0d5NY"

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:41 am

The Laird wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:49 pm
I was at their head office today for a business meeting and got to try one of the very first units off the production line. A video below for those that are interested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CRXR0d5NY"
Wow, that looks awesome. All the games seemed to run perfectly.
Scott me up beamie!

Back in Time Sime

Post by Back in Time Sime » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Looks good, but been burnt once to often... once bitten twice shy and all that...

So may get one when its real and I can buy and get one a day later...

Shame but crowd funding is just such a risk...

Taaa
Sime
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Back in Time Sime wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:19 pm
Looks good, but been burnt once to often... once bitten twice shy and all that...

So may get one when its real and I can buy and get one a day later...

Shame but crowd funding is just such a risk...

Taaa
Sime
It's already real and has been shipped to people like Argos this week.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Worth pointing out here that the keyboard on the C64 mini is entirely decorative and non functional.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Isn't there a full sized version coming out? That's supposed to have a full sized working keyboard - I'll be waiting for that rather than what looks like a cheap plastic model with a D64TV joystick attached!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:59 pm
Isn't there a full sized version coming out? That's supposed to have a full sized working keyboard - I'll be waiting for that rather than what looks like a cheap plastic model with a D64TV joystick attached!
Yeah, there should be a full sized version eventually, plus a handheld; indeed they were part of the original pitch. However, the Mini got far more interest from retailers - presumably on the back of Nintendo's similar classic consoles - so that became the priority.

To be fair, it doesn't need a keyboard for the games it comes with, putting one in would add a lot to the price, and it'd be far too small to type comfortably with. I think they've made the right choice for the market it's aimed at.