The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Will you buy a The64?

Yes
21%
No
63%
Can't Decide
16%

Total votes: 38

Darran@Retro Gamer

The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:31 pm

What's everyone's thoughts about this?
Do you think it will reach the market? Are you surprised it didn't reach its funding goal?

English Invader

Re: The64 - Computer And Handheld Console

Post by English Invader » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:45 pm

This thread is the first I've heard of it and I'm happy enough with my original C64 so it's a no thanks from me.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:21 pm

It's not really aimed I me as I have two C64s with a 1541 drive and an SD card reader. Plus emulation. There's no reason I would want one.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:08 am

Curious, but like others have stated, I still have my C64C and Emulation via a PSP.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:50 pm

The what? Be a kind chap and include a link or summat, wontcha?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:54 pm

*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:57 pm

I'll would buy one if it ever goes on sale but I never ever do kick starters or fund raisers.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Hmm.. I'm actually quite surprised at how the vote count is going at the moment, and that the campaign failed, actually shocked at the results because I thought it would be a popular item and campaign. That said even as a '64 fan I wont be purchasing, because for me the focus has all shifted towards the next 'new thing' in VR, so my monies will likely go towards that. And I find the 64 is probably the least played retro console/computer I play, there just aren't enough games I go back to.

But again I really am surprised, particularly as the new spectrum and NES incarnations have done so amazingly well, I wonder why The64 isn't getting the same amount of love?

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm sure there is plenty of enthusiasm for the C64, it's just that $150 - the cost of one of the new machines - places it a fair way from impulse buy territory. Also I just wonder whether or not the fact that they were trying to market two products - the computer and the handheld - was just a bit over-ambitious?

Would I buy the handheld version, given that I already have a handheld device that will play C64 games? I dunno. I suppose I like the nostalgia value and design but the case for dropping $220 on something that adds no practical value is slim.

Will it hit the market? I must admit I have no idea. I haven't been to indiegogo much and wasn't aware that you could have a "flexible goal", so they did raise a fair old chunk of cash so I suppose it is not impossible. Perhaps they will just release the computer and not the handheld, or vice versa?

Oh, and setting the "complete package" version as $650.2 dollars, is quite a cute reference to the C64's CPU, if only they had got it right ... (it had a MOS6510)...
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:27 pm

Like others it's the first I'd heard of it. My first reaction was 'The ****ing what?!' :lol:

Like many of the other retro things coming out now I will reserve judgement until it emerges and then make a call. Some of these things are overpriced attempting to get coin off the hardcore retrofans who tend to be more savvy than the people releasing these things realise. Often they don't get off the ground so will wait and see. It has to be a fabulous kickstarter for me to put money in now. Been burnt a couple of times by them, although the last one I was in was great and restored my faith in how well they can be done (Oli Freys art book).

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:58 am

It would make more sense if the handheld could be docked in the keyboard for desktop use, rather than them being two seperate deviced sold seperately. If I want to play games on the go and at home on my TV I have to pay twice? Nah.

If the price was right I might be tempted by the desktop version but these things are always so expensive. The Vega was £100 at launch and this is likely to be even more; I'm saving up for a Switch at the moment so this is low on the list of things to get.

These kind of things, when they originated, used to be fairly cheap. Things like the Atari Flashback and the Intellivision plug-n-play were cheap 'n cheerful, as were the old Blaze Megadrive units. Since that bloody awful Neo Geo X came out there seems to have been a switch to selling them as premium products at a premium price, even if the device itself is just running very dodgy emulation. It's all a bit odd because people wanting a bit of cheap nostalgia won't pay £100-£200 for it, and hardcore fans won't want it because it just isn't accurate enough. The new NES and Mega Drive units, which sell for £50 or less, are more like it.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:11 pm

As an owner of a C64, Vic 20, 2 x C16 and a Plus 4, with an SD adapter that runs games on all four, this is of minimal interest to me, if I did not own them, then the price would still put me right off, far above an impulse buy, and requiring a massive leap of faith to put that sort of money down on one.

At least the Sinclair Vega plus has some of the involvement of Sir Clive and Rick Dickinson, to give the machine the boost of being something half official, there is nothing of that with this product, I would be surprised if it came to market.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:35 pm

yeah, didn't notice the ridiculous pricing.. no way, just no way.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:50 pm

I'd think the main problem with it is that the boat already sailed with the C64DTV. Most of us who ever wanted a re-made C64 bought one of those, played it to death and stuck it in the cupboard to either gather dust or only drag back out on special occasions. Finding reliable original hardware still isn't that hard either and it's also one of the most comprehensively well documented and emulated machines too, even if nobody's quite managed to get the SID filter done right. As such, the market for a re-made machine is very niche.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:44 am

Its a bit pricey isn't it?

No from me.