Gaming predictions 2017

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Trixta

Re: Gaming predictions 2017

Post by Trixta » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Horizon will be a huge hit
sony will either offer backwards compatibility or offer ps play at a cheaper price.
res7 wont live up to the hype and damage the franchise even more.
capcom goes back to just porting even more "hd remakes"
Marvel Vs Capcom will launch in the summer but the roster of chars will be lower then previous games.
nintendo switch will sell out, but wii u owners will be pissed they have to buy all their games again
shenmue 3 will be nothing but trailers
Sega announce shenmue 1+2 HD
Yooka-Laylee will be one of the few kickstarter games to live up to expectations.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Trixta wrote: Sega announce shenmue 1+2 HD
Possibly already got this correct if rumours are true http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/01/06/s ... shenmue-hd
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:01 pm

I can see them doing some kind of big E3 reveal of more Shenmue 3 with like some kind of "Revisit the first 2 games on PSN/XBONE/PC right now!" sort of announcement at the end to not only hype the 3rd game further and get more people interested, but make SEGA some huge bucks in the process...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Might be a bit of a bugger for Xbox1 as 3 is PS4 bound (also PC)

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:13 pm

DPrinny wrote:Might be a bit of a bugger for Xbox1 as 3 is PS4 bound (also PC)
Oh yeah.......then they can always make the XBox port of 2 backwards compatible when Original XBox games work with XBONE. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Many gamers have both machines these days.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:34 pm

-Switch will do well. Not in context to it's rivals, but pleasing enough for Ninty and it's fans. Of which I'm one, and look forward to it. I love the idea of returning to a cart based system too :)

-VR will go very well. Once a few AAA titles start to show what it can do, it will be very popular this year IMO. Whether it is like Pokémon Go with a Boom time and then settles down remains to be seen. But for the short term, it will be seen as the 'next level' IMO, and the media will certainly run with that when the mainstream media looks at it.

-I predict I will continue to enjoy the 360, and will mop up plenty of dirt cheap AAA titles to enjoy! And the only system I may buy this year will be a Switch. Unless I get swallowed up in the VR stuff as well :)

-Someone will start a 'what is retro' topic which be reduced to a handbags to ten paces bitchslapping contest by the time it's 2-3 pages in :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Not really gaming as such and not a prediction, a wish: Would love to see a really good CGI animated movie on Silent Hill emerge. Like the Final Fantasy/Resident Evil ones. Give us a decent movie based around Silent Hill 2, pull out all stops to make it amazing. C'mon Konami

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Since we’re at the end of the year I thought I’d bump this to see how we all did. I think I did quite well!
LAIS wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:39 pm
* It'll become abundantly clear that VR is NOT the next big thing - Don't get me wrong, I think we'll see a healthy stream of releases at first, but I think they'll be small games from smaller developers. I don't think we'll see much from bigger companies. I think the PS VR will end up similar to the Vita sales wise, and the likes of the Rift and HTC Vive are just too expensive to take off. By the end of next year I think the number of games being released on it will be winding down.
I’m gonna give myself this one. I think it’s clear now that the VR bubble has burst. For now, at least.
* We'll get a sequel announcement for Shadows of Mordor - It's GOT to happen surely. This was a great game.
Not only did this happen, but it’s been released too. I can’t believe we didn’t know about this game a year ago. It didn’t live up to its predecessor for me, but it exists.
* The Nintendo Switch will do well sales wise, but will lack a game-changing Nintendo exclusive - I think Nintendo will release perfectly serviceable original titles, but this console will lack a Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time game. A game with the "wow" factor (I'm not including the new Zelda as it's also out on Wii U). I also think we'll end up seeing a lot of Wii U ports.
Half right. It’s done well sales wise, but who’d have thought it would have such a great line-up already? Well...someone might have but I clearly didn’t.
* The Switch will be cartridge based - A carry over from a 2016 prediction I made.
Correct, but this is only a minor win. I clearly played it safe here.
* The Switch launch line-up (or launch window) will include Zelda, Mario and Pokemon - I think Nintendo will go all out to ensure all their big guns are available quickly in some form. I think we'll get the new Zelda, a Mario 3D World sequel and some kind of take-on of Pokemon Sun/Moon.
Why the heck did I predict that the Switch would lack a classic and that we’d get all these games in 2017?!
* Shenmue 3 will be delayed until mid-2018
Well, it’s not out yet but I’m also not sure it was even supposed to release this year.
* We'll hear very little about the PS4 game "Dreams" - I think this game will end up being in development for some time, or may end up disappearing from the radar altogether. It seems massively ambitious, perhaps too much so.
Have we actually heard anything about Dreams this year?
* The sequel to Skyrim will be released by the end of the year - This is a bit of a long shot, but I do believe this is coming, and if it doesn't come in 2017, I'm certain it'll come in 2018.
WRONG! Bethesda has been too busy releasing other versions of Skyrim! But it’s gotta strive in 2018, right...?
* Brexit will push game prices up noticeably - I hope I'm wrong on this one, but I expect to see some big changes as economic uncertainty continues.
Wrong again. I’ve not noticed a difference anyway.
* The Final Fantasy VII remake will start releasing episodes, the first one will disappoint - Another carry over prediction from last year. I think Square Enix will say it's taking criticism on board from episode 1, and try to fix episode 2...but it won't do a brilliant job of that either. We won't see the full game next year.
Wrong again, and goodness knows when this will actually happen!

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:09 pm

LAIS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:41 pm
Since we’re at the end of the year I thought I’d bump this to see how we all did. I think I did quite well!
* We'll hear very little about the PS4 game "Dreams" - I think this game will end up being in development for some time, or may end up disappearing from the radar altogether. It seems massively ambitious, perhaps too much so.
Have we actually heard anything about Dreams this year?
It was shown at this years e3 during the sony presentation.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta