Gaming predictions 2017

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LAIS

Gaming predictions 2017

Post by LAIS » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:39 pm

I did OK with my 2016 predictions, but I'd like to do even more OK next year, so...

* It'll become abundantly clear that VR is NOT the next big thing - Don't get me wrong, I think we'll see a healthy stream of releases at first, but I think they'll be small games from smaller developers. I don't think we'll see much from bigger companies. I think the PS VR will end up similar to the Vita sales wise, and the likes of the Rift and HTC Vive are just too expensive to take off. By the end of next year I think the number of games being released on it will be winding down.

* We'll get a sequel announcement for Shadows of Mordor - It's GOT to happen surely. This was a great game.

* The Nintendo Switch will do well sales wise, but will lack a game-changing Nintendo exclusive - I think Nintendo will release perfectly serviceable original titles, but this console will lack a Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time game. A game with the "wow" factor (I'm not including the new Zelda as it's also out on Wii U). I also think we'll end up seeing a lot of Wii U ports.

* The Switch will be cartridge based - A carry over from a 2016 prediction I made.

* The Switch launch line-up (or launch window) will include Zelda, Mario and Pokemon - I think Nintendo will go all out to ensure all their big guns are available quickly in some form. I think we'll get the new Zelda, a Mario 3D World sequel and some kind of take-on of Pokemon Sun/Moon.

* Shenmue 3 will be delayed until mid-2018

* We'll hear very little about the PS4 game "Dreams" - I think this game will end up being in development for some time, or may end up disappearing from the radar altogether. It seems massively ambitious, perhaps too much so.

* The sequel to Skyrim will be released by the end of the year - This is a bit of a long shot, but I do believe this is coming, and if it doesn't come in 2017, I'm certain it'll come in 2018.

* Brexit will push game prices up noticeably - I hope I'm wrong on this one, but I expect to see some big changes as economic uncertainty continues.

* The Final Fantasy VII remake will start releasing episodes, the first one will disappoint - Another carry over prediction from last year. I think Square Enix will say it's taking criticism on board from episode 1, and try to fix episode 2...but it won't do a brilliant job of that either. We won't see the full game next year.

ALK

Re: Gaming predictions 2017

Post by ALK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:27 am

Nintendo Switch- Does notably better then Wii U. Not Wii numbers, but a strong start. As well as Mario, the system launches with a game that's the Wii Sport/Nintendo Land pack in of the system, as well as a "Spla2n". The Wii U and 3DS Virtual Consoles are combined for the ultimate VC with some way to do the DS and Wii U games, but still that small charge to redownload our libraries. Reveal a ton of new stuff at E3 2017. Fair few ports and HD remasters, but there's a good mix of new stuff too.

3DS/Wii U- Wii U dies. Might get the odd shovelware or Justdance 2018 but its done for real. 3DS continues but support shrinks and shrinks the longer the year goes.

Nintendo Mobile- Pokemon Go gets up to the 3rd Gen this time next year, with the 4th being saved for 2018 and eventual Diamond and Pearl remakes on Switch in 2018 (Which sees a 3rd version of Sun/Moon in 2017). The Animal Crossing game/app is meh, Fire Emblem does pretty well. Another Pokemon mobile game is announced, though more spin off then Go sized.

XBox- Scorpio is a gamer's dream but has a hefty price tag. Original Xbox games get backwards compatibility.

Playstation- Spyro gets the remake treatment too after strong responces towards Crash. Pro does not light the world on fire, the VR becomes their focus with tons of VR games or compatible ones revealed at E3.

FFVII- Episode 1 gets a release by the end of the year. The season pass for all episodes is priced at a high "Internet moans and moans" price.

Shenmue 3- Trailers.....and that's it.

COD- Call of Duty's gimmick for that year will be Playstation VR. That's the only idea I can think of that they can do, other then make a Skylanders out of it with figures of Guns and stuff.

Toys to Life- Speaking of which, amiibo continue on but nowhere near the numbers of the Smash Series. Lego marches on but by the end of the year, they pull the plug on that series too. Skylanders as rumored dies but a new game company decides to soak its foot in the Toys to Life market to fill the void left by DI and Skylanders.

Other- Mother 3 gets a release...on the Switch's Virtual Console. At least 1 game franchise we never thought would ever be on the Switch comes to the Switch. WWE returns to Nintendo consoles....with an app for the WWE Network. :lol: Both Sonics turn out great while SEGA release yet another M+S Winter Olympics for Xmas and 2018's games, Wayforward get to work on a Rescue Rangers Remastered and Konami releases a Snatcher.....pachinko machine.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:02 am

Same s**t, different number

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:24 pm

The first 'game of the year' will be forgotten in weeks

Vr will be constantly debated

Gt7 will be delayed further

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Half Life 3 is still dead.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Star Citizen will be released and it will be the most amazing game out there, making people upgrade their PCs just like they did for Wing Commander, F1 Grand Prix, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Half-Life and Crysis back in their times. :wink:

Other than that, new Zelda and Gran Turismo will be out and I'm also interested in the new Quake, although part of me would rather see a dark, gothic and menacing Quake game with a single-player component again, just like the first one was.

Oh, and Halo 6 will be on PC this time too. MS want to unify their Xbox and Windows PC divisions it seems. Making the Scorpio compatible with Windows PC games would be quite the "killer app" that could push the PlayStation to the wayside.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Honestly, I have no idea what to predict. I don't even have that many wild dreams that I'd like to predict :|

I reckon I'll leave it up to everybody else to incorrectly predict this year (especially seeing as how I was completely wrong with 2016's edition) :P
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:25 pm

More of a wish, but I think if Dangun Feveron and Battle Garegga do OK, there'll be more to come. Armed Police Batrider would be swell.

MvC 4 won't live up to fan hype, at least to start with.

More mobile first-party content from Ninty feels like a sure thing. I would love a Zelda title that took a page from Pokemon GO's book.

Terry Crews will be Doomfist.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:51 pm

I predict that the VR bubble will burst, I think overall hype will die down and there'll be a general lack of quality AAA titles released for it.

I also predict that we'll at least see an announcement of the next Elder Scrolls game. Of course, that's less prediction and more wish fulfillment on my part :lol:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 pm

theantmeister wrote:Half Life 3 is still dead.
Yep. Seconded.
Rayne wrote:I predict that the VR bubble will burst, I think overall hype will die down and there'll be a general lack of quality AAA titles released for it.
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much for either for the Occulus Rift or Sony VR.

I think we will hear more about 4K gaming coming to the fore. More about how 4K Blu Rays will be the media of choice(although - I suspect that downloads will play a big part).

As for Skyrim 2 - it'll probably be delayed until the end of the year, and when it does finally get released - it'll suffer from a load of bugs.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:08 pm

More great games for current gen machines.

The Switch will be an umitagated success.

Scorpio will be class... but expensive.

The same few people that call themselves gamers but basically hate games will moan and moan and moan that this and that ain't this or that.

Next Elder Scrolls game announced.

New Metroid game announced.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:17 am

More soulless first person shooters, another FIFA rehash (but oooh, the movement feels a bit different off the ball).

I really miss the platformer games, they need to make a comeback (mobile phone games don't do it for me).

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:06 pm

Jimmy Corkhill wrote:More soulless first person shooters, another FIFA rehash (but oooh, the movement feels a bit different off the ball).

I really miss the platformer games, they need to make a comeback (mobile phone games don't do it for me).
They already made a comeback, some of the best games I've played in recent years are modern platformers. I'm not sure how you've missed them, but mobiles certainly aren't the place to look.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:31 pm

I think VR will absolutely dominate things in the gaming world, and for years to come. I think it will only get better and better, but I do think this is a complete overhaul, something gaming has been waiting for for decades, and now that its here will be explored to every inch of its incarnation.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:29 pm

VR will still be nothing more than a platform for short casual games and an option for additional modes in traditional games.

Switch will be a success.