If Nintendo makes a SNES Classic Mini...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: If Nintendo makes a SNES Classic Mini...

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:46 am

Putting my realist hat on, I'd say the line up would be very similar to those SNES games available on the e-Shop with a few minor tweaks:

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthbound
F-Zero
Final Fantasy III
Final Fight
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Mega Man 7
Pilotwings
Starwing
Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Stunt Race FX
Super Castlevania
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Probotector
Super Punch-Out
Super Soccer
Super Tennis
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Yoshi's Island
Zelda: Link To The Past

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:20 am

NHLPA 94
NHL 95
NHL 96
NHL 97
NHL 98
Wings 2.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:37 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Putting my realist hat on, I'd say the line up would be very similar to those SNES games available on the e-Shop with a few minor tweaks:

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthbound
F-Zero
Final Fantasy III
Final Fight
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Mega Man 7
Pilotwings
Starwing
Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Stunt Race FX
Super Castlevania
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Probotector
Super Punch-Out
Super Soccer
Super Tennis
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Yoshi's Island
Id rather people gave up with the American final fantasy numbering. We all know there were 6 before the rest of the world got a look in. Its just silly when someone goes 'do you mean ff3 on nes or snes?' um i mean ff3, because why bother now we all know and can easily play them properly. (not a dig at you personally, i know they always just use'ff3' when rereleasing a non-japanese ff6 on snes because theyre lazy)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:11 pm

As long as I could use my own SNES carts on any SNES mini then I'd be happy to get one - even if the device was to back up the game in on-board memory (which would be a pretty good way to get around dead save batteries without having to open the carts)
Where logic won't work, I will

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:20 pm

gunbladelad wrote:As long as I could use my own SNES carts on any SNES mini then I'd be happy to get one - even if the device was to back up the game in on-board memory (which would be a pretty good way to get around dead save batteries without having to open the carts)
That'll never happen.

1. About 4 people will use the facility.
2. It'll push the cost up.
3. It brings additional support issues for the 4 people that use it.
4. Size. A SNES mini might not even be wide enough for an original cart slot.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
gunbladelad wrote:As long as I could use my own SNES carts on any SNES mini then I'd be happy to get one - even if the device was to back up the game in on-board memory (which would be a pretty good way to get around dead save batteries without having to open the carts)
That'll never happen.

1. About 4 people will use the facility.
2. It'll push the cost up.
3. It brings additional support issues for the 4 people that use it.
4. Size. A SNES mini might not even be wide enough for an original cart slot.
5. They'll still want us using their Virtual Console service after all. ;)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:35 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Putting my realist hat on, I'd say the line up would be very similar to those SNES games available on the e-Shop with a few minor tweaks:

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthbound
F-Zero
Final Fantasy III
Final Fight
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Mega Man 7
Pilotwings
Starwing
Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Stunt Race FX
Super Castlevania
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Probotector
Super Punch-Out
Super Soccer
Super Tennis
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Yoshi's Island
If your realist hat was working properly, then it should be prudent not to list any Super FX based game, which rules out Yoshis Island, Starwing and Stunt Race FX. These Super FX chip games have never appeared officially on any of Nintys services sadly, and its unlikely they ever will (still not entirely sure if its licensing issues with Argonaut Games, or if they just think emulation isn't solid enough, probably the former).

Starwing/Stunt Race FX I can live without, since they were very much of their time (revolutionary, but aged very poorly), but Yoshi's Island obviously uses the chip differently to enhance its look, which is still thankfully very much 2D. Its a pity this original game probably won't see a release, but I guess officially the GBA version isn't too bad and doesn't require Super FX technology, hence why that ones up on the Wii U VC instead.

Good list overall. Like the mention of "Super Soccer" - it doesn't get the attention it deserves! Its timeless (like Super Tennis, as it doesn't use real players etc) and is super "arcadey" in its approach. Its flawed to buggery and there are a few cheap goal-scoring methods, but its still fun, and bringing the goalie out to dribble the ball all the way to score in the opponents net will always bring a smile (thats if you can avoid a shoulder-barge tackle/foul by the aggressive Cameroon squad!).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:45 am

Starwing is still playable and there's no reason they couldn't offer a higher frame rate option in their emulation. Purists may hate that, but it's all it would take to make it much slicker for a modern audience
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:50 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Starwing is still playable and there's no reason they couldn't offer a higher frame rate option in their emulation. Purists may hate that, but it's all it would take to make it much slicker for a modern audience
Probably the argonaut legal issue.

As for the emulation, not sure if it's that easy to do. There are emulators that already boost the speed but it screws up timing on the audio and glitches more in general. Would Nintendo bother reprogramming the game and emulator just so it can appear on this device?

Now a full HD remake of the original would be an idea!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 pm

I'm aware of the legal issues but there's no reason they can't be sorted out eventually. Even with the hat, I'm still allowed a bit of wishful thinking surely?

As for the emulation, I believe that the emu software used in the Mini is completely different to that used in the Virtual Console downloads. I don't see why that shouldn't also be the case with a SNES version.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:16 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
As for the emulation, I believe that the emu software used in the Mini is completely different to that used in the Virtual Console downloads. I don't see why that shouldn't also be the case with a SNES version.
I agree, emulation won't be a problem, as the old 2006 Wii (and in fact, the slightly underclocked predecessor the Gamecube) can run Starwing via homebrew without issues, so a more modern system would do it fairly effortlessly. I think its basically the license issue that has prevented them (as even if they didn't like Starwing for whatever reason, they surely would have released Yoshi's Island by now).

In fact, SNES9X on the Wii has a Super FX chip "overclock" setting (two extra speeds) - and it boosts the framerate to an "amazing" 20 frames per second! Sadly, its all out of sync and doesn't quite work properly - this would be what I'd imagine Nintendo wouldn't be arsed to fix. So we'd be left with the bog standard chugging single digit framerate - which is surely the only authentic choice!

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:11 am

seen this topic come up a lot in discussions ,my choices would probably never be on it, but I thought this up mainly for fun.
smw
pilotwings
super gouls n ghosts
super mario kart
earthbound
super star wars
nhlpa hockey 93
f-zero
chrono trigger
secret of mana
the lost vikings
super metroid
super pang
pocky and rocky 2
shadowrun
international superstar soccer
unirally
tmnt; turtles in time
killer instinct
super aleste
axelay
mega man x
zelda a link to the past
donkey kong country
kirby super star
super bomberman 3
sim city
mario paint
contra the alien wars
final fantasy 6

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:12 pm

DPrinny wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Be surprised if they do one before they milked the mini-NES as much as they can.
Think the scalpers are doing that for them
Totally.
Scalpers in some of the FB game selling/trading groups were taking pictures of the walls of NES MINIS they were selling for stupid money to people that couldn't get them in the shops. Reprehensible behaviour in my opinion and I was happy when some of the groups starting deleting the posts of the Scalper scumbags.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Starwing is still playable and there's no reason they couldn't offer a higher frame rate option in their emulation. Purists may hate that, but it's all it would take to make it much slicker for a modern audience
Probably the argonaut legal issue.

As for the emulation, not sure if it's that easy to do. There are emulators that already boost the speed but it screws up timing on the audio and glitches more in general. Would Nintendo bother reprogramming the game and emulator just so it can appear on this device?

Now a full HD remake of the original would be an idea!
They actually did make a sort of remake of it in Wario Ware for Wii:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5HK_g4Kng8

They just didn't make it a "proper" stand-alone release. I also like the high-res and high framerate "flat shaded" polygon look.