football management games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

rtrgrl78

Re: football management games

Post by rtrgrl78 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 pm

I used to play an american football on for the Commodore 64, it was from the budget range but annoyingly cannot for the life of me remember the name. Suspect it is still in parents attic, along with the Commodore 64, games and bits and bobs. I want to say John Maddden, that might be completely wrong.
Last edited by rtrgrl78 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Ah, Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the Snes, what a game. Loved it.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:28 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Ah, Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the Snes, what a game. Loved it.
love the player manager games though 99 onwards it was pretty much just anco's answer to prem manager
This guy are sick

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:22 am

I put many hours into Championship Manager back in the day. It was the cause of many fights in my house; one PC shared between two brothers who were addicted to the game.

It was certainly an institution back then, Everyone I knew played it; people at school would often talk about their teams and tactics, and sometimes you'd get one guy who'd reached his 20th season and could tell you which young players become world beaters. I was one of five Man City fans in the entire school (from my family and my best mates family) and obviously had to play as them, making the game a bit harder for me. I also liked playing with the fake generated players occasionally, as it added to the challenge.

Championship Manager Season 01/02 was the best, for me. It hit that balance of having lots of content and features whilst still maintaining the series' degree of simplicity and straightforwardness. What I loved about these games was that you could spend ages being really meticulous with everything; or, you could just rush through game after game and focus only on transfers and team selection.

That all started to disappear with CM4; that was the point where the series (and Football Manager thereafter) become too complicated and lost its fun factor. I tried to get into it again with FM 2013 but I became bored with it very quickly.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:37 pm

rtrgrl78 wrote:I used to play an american football on for the Commodore 64, it was from the budget range but annoyingly cannot for the life of me remember the name. Suspect it is still in parents attic, along with the Commodore 64, games and bits and bobs. I want to say John Maddden, that might be completely wrong.
There were a few, most of which were quite bad. 4th and Inches was poor, think there was one called 'Touchdown' or Endzone - again bad.

I used to play Headcoach on the Spectrum tons, so much i discovered when you hit season 100 it crashed !

Anyway back to the original topic...

Player Manager - LOVED this game on the Amiga, you had to keep your player in the squad or you couldnt play the game (So could only manage). Despite our player being about 70 and hardly moving we still won the league a ton (me and my mate played this loads).

Football Manager - The classic and still great game, very slow now to play it but i quite like the new rehashed iOS version by Kevin

Championship manager - Back in the early 90's i had some sort of cheat to get infinite money. So loved doing a 'Chelsea' and buy up all the top high priced players