football management games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

stayAwhile

football management games

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:02 pm

any footy management fans here? i used to play the championship manager and premier manager games on amiga and continued to play premier manager on ps1 and ps2, I also played football manager on psp and am holding out on a ps4 version but untill then i'm going to buy premier manager on ps3
This guy are sick

Antiriad2097

Re: football management games

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:05 pm

I've not played a football management game since the original port to the Speccy (though that was a hooky copy, I only had the original for my ZX81).

Fun at the time, but too much like work now when I spend most of my day looking at spreadsheets.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:43 pm

Posted in the what are you playing thread that I'd just installed a mod for Football Manager 2016 that adds leagues down to level 23 of the Football Pyramid into the game. I'm trying to take Shaw Lane Aquaforce to the Premiership.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:53 pm

Treguard wrote:Posted in the what are you playing thread that I'd just installed a mod for Football Manager 2016 that adds leagues down to level 23 of the Football Pyramid into the game. I'm trying to take Shaw Lane Aquaforce to the Premiership.
anything is possible in fm i guess
This guy are sick

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:00 pm

yes, I've probably spent more time playing Championship Manager/Football Manager than any other gaming series.

still on FM14, always think you can miss a couple of versions although my PC probably wouldn't run FM16 anyway.

Player Manager on the Amiga was good too, you could import all your teams into Kick Off 2 which was a brilliant touch.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:38 pm

I haven't played many, but I liked Player Manager, The Manager (nice animations of the gameplay), and Soccer Supremo (written in AmigaBASIC). All on the Amiga.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:45 pm

Audiogenic Super League Manager on the Amiga - probably the best footie manager game there is. No stats, players are rated on match reports and reports from your scouts. Hook it up with Emlyn Hughes or Wembley International Soccer and you could play some games also. Top, top game but largely forgotten. Easily better than the more well known Gremlin management game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:59 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:yes, I've probably spent more time playing Championship Manager/Football Manager than any other gaming series.

still on FM14, always think you can miss a couple of versions although my PC probably wouldn't run FM16 anyway.

Player Manager on the Amiga was good too, you could import all your teams into Kick Off 2 which was a brilliant touch.
dino has said he might make player manager 2, as for fm if you want the latest newcomers buy each one casual player can skip a year without missing much i had it when it was cm 92 with a 93 update disk bundled in but played prem manager alot more
This guy are sick

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:34 pm

I was rather pleased to find my 2009 Macbook runs Football Manager 16 rather well.
Going Solo...................

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm

I'm not a fan of football at all, but love the idea of football management sims, played a few but give up as I know maybe two players.

I then found out about ewr, and have recently downloaded tew2016 to give that a go, love the game ideas,

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:43 am

Always loved my football management sims. The first one I played was Premier Manager 97 on the Mega Drive and then discovered the Championship Manager series on PC a couple of years later. The latest one I have is Football Manager Touch for 2016.

IMO the SI sims really need to be played on a PC. The scaled down console versions have never been as good.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:28 am

I was always a fan of the LMA Manager games - I like how they were specifically designed for consoles with the way the buttons were used for the interface. They weren't just a compromised conversion of a PC game.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:36 am

These have been the football management highlights for me:

Football Manager (Amstrad CPC) - played this all the time in my youth (also the first game I played with a proper save feature)
Championship Manager (Amiga) - another favourite, but the loading/processing times were painful
Premier Manager 3 (Amiga) - my favourite in terms of layout, menus etc. but I found it was too hard and unforgiving
Sensible Soccer (Amiga) - obviously not really a management sim, but when playing a full career it certainly feels like it!
LMA Manager (PS1) - great fun, nice animation highlights - shame the save took up a whole memory card
Football Manager Classic (Vita) - the best portable management sim out there, although it does lack the depth of it's PC brother

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 am

Lost a long time to CM/FM in the past but try as I might I can't get any long term enjoyment from them these days. FM16 and 15 and 14 before it just aren't fun, even the slimmed down versions. Also they absolutely blast hell out of the battery in my macbook air.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:40 pm

JackBurton-Me wrote:Lost a long time to CM/FM in the past but try as I might I can't get any long term enjoyment from them these days. FM16 and 15 and 14 before it just aren't fun, even the slimmed down versions. Also they absolutely blast hell out of the battery in my macbook air.
i'm gunna dl cm 2010 for 4 quid see how it fares to the old games
This guy are sick