Games that never get mentioned

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Re: Games that never get mentioned

Post by Shinobi » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:32 am

c0nfu53d wrote:
Shinobi wrote:If we are going buy PS2 games I would add

Legend of Sayuki a 2d shooter sequel to the Snes Pocky and Rocky.. Very Japanese incredibly nuts bit of a difficult spike on the first boss a grim reaper/Skeleton type
The problem with Legend of Sayuki is it costs too much.
Damn I just ebay prices £80!! When I bought Sayuki it was £7 new, same as pal Rule of Rose was £30 new if some nice French lady.. I guess I better start checking the games as some have sky rocketed in price and so always thought PS2 games where pretty much worthless..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:49 pm

Shinobi wrote: I guess I better start checking the games as some have sky rocketed in price and so always thought PS2 games where pretty much worthless..
I picked up Dragon Blaze from the local market a few years ago. Was £2 and seemed like a bargain as it sold for £30+. Seen it go between £75-£170 2nd hand now :shock:

On topic (I think I got this off of Shinobi)

I really enjoyed Trapt on PS2. There have been more titles in the series on PS3/4 under the the name Deception. The concept of the game is to kill various enemies in set stages using numerous traps. The traps range in placement, style and damage and various combos can be achieved increasing your score

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:21 pm

Which is the game that is meant to be like Resi 4 but set on an oil rig (and obviously not as good)?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:22 pm

Shinobi wrote:
c0nfu53d wrote:
Shinobi wrote:If we are going buy PS2 games I would add

Legend of Sayuki a 2d shooter sequel to the Snes Pocky and Rocky.. Very Japanese incredibly nuts bit of a difficult spike on the first boss a grim reaper/Skeleton type
The problem with Legend of Sayuki is it costs too much.
Damn I just ebay prices £80!! When I bought Sayuki it was £7 new, same as pal Rule of Rose was £30 new if some nice French lady.. I guess I better start checking the games as some have sky rocketed in price and so always thought PS2 games where pretty much worthless..

The ones on ebay ATM are sealed but even used it goes for 20 - 30

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:24 am

Megamixer wrote:Which is the game that is meant to be like Resi 4 but set on an oil rig (and obviously not as good)?
Cold Fear?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 am

I recently sold all of my mighty PS2 library and I liked to concentrate on more obscure titles.
Legend of Sayuki is a good shout.
Dragon Sisters is another. An often overlooked scrolling beat em up.
Spy Fiction is an excellent Metal Gear clone that you never hear about.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

retroman83

Post by retroman83 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:38 am

I kept forgetting to post about this game I picked up last year for £1, and this thread has reminded me!

It's called Freak Out, for the PS2.

I've only played it to test it works so far, but basically you're a child with some sort of demon hand sticking out your back and you run around grabbing giant b00bs with the hand and stretching them lol!

My and my girlfriend proper lolled about it when I got it home.

Here's a random video of it...

https://youtu.be/-KT3s3fwxSk?t=625
Giant b00bs from 10:25.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Which is the game that is meant to be like Resi 4 but set on an oil rig (and obviously not as good)?
Cold Fear?
That sounds about right (I think!). Will have to look it up.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:52 pm

7 Blades! That's the one, thank you.

I'm going to look into a few games on this thread now.

Prinny- have you actually played Lassie?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:Prinny- have you actually played Lassie?
Yes, its dreadful

The last mission is funny
METAL GEAR LASSIE!!

But if you want to scrape the barrel to the point where there is no barrel only the earth core theres Babe

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:55 am

DPrinny wrote:
Ferret Oxide wrote:Prinny- have you actually played Lassie?
Yes, its dreadful

The last mission is funny
METAL GEAR LASSIE!!

But if you want to scrape the barrel to the point where there is no barrel only the earth core theres Babe
I thought you might have done. What's the worst game you've ever played?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:13 am

Ferret Oxide wrote: I thought you might have done. What's the worst game you've ever played?
On PS2?

Red Ninja, horrible broken glitchy high budget game

The PS2 is blessed (?) with tons of shovleware, some it seems like they wernt even trying (Snow queens quest the Robin hood games bar defender of the crown as that one seems to be fun)

If you want something good that seems like shovleware try "Fantavision"

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:35 am

Ring of Red doesn't get enough love, but it's the best strategy game on the PS2 in my opinion.
Malice got unfair reviews mainly because it looks like a PS1 game on a PS2 (which is because it pretty much is) but it's a lot of fun.
Haunting Ground is a great survival horror game with an interesting dog ally/weapon mechanic that's worth putting time into if you can get past the bonkers and disturbing plot.
Kill.Switch is still my favourite cover shooter game ever.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:21 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Enthusia Professional Racing - Kind of like a Gran Turismo game i.e. realistic physics/handling but with a more Japanese arcade feel to the music and atmosphere. Circuits are really challenging and need to be tackled properly (the Nurburgring is terrifying as always!) and there are well over a 100 real, licensed cars. The attention to detail on the car models and overall graphics are really amazing for a PS2 game. Again, this never gets mentioned.
picked this up in cex today for £1 seems to be quite a good price for it. looking where else i could get interesting games from also showed one in a shopping centre i used to pass on my commute, unfortunatly i never explored that shopping centre after mrs apex witnessed an attempted armed robbery there, where when faced with a gun and told the empty the till the guy calmly refused.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:41 am

flatapex wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
Enthusia Professional Racing - Kind of like a Gran Turismo game i.e. realistic physics/handling but with a more Japanese arcade feel to the music and atmosphere. Circuits are really challenging and need to be tackled properly (the Nurburgring is terrifying as always!) and there are well over a 100 real, licensed cars. The attention to detail on the car models and overall graphics are really amazing for a PS2 game. Again, this never gets mentioned.
picked this up in cex today for £1 seems to be quite a good price for it.
I've just about exhausted my playthrough of it and it's really a fantastic game. Looking back at it's history, it came out 2 months after Gran Turismo 4 and was barely promoted by Konami (I do remember a TV advert for it though) which is why it sunk. Was listening to the soundtrack on Youtube the other day because it's that good. Honestly, you should love it. Great mix of technical street and track circuits and a real variety of vehicles. Also, I learnt that it was the first racing to game to authentically replicate automatic transmissions!

Another racer I highly rated was the Fast and Furious game which - despite loosely resembling Tokyo Drift - doesn't actually have a stupid storyline or any crap like that. Just satisfying arcade-style racing, great drifting and car modification etc.

Oh and Burnout Dominator. The last PS2 game in the franchise and even though I don't believe it was done by the same developer as the previous entries, it was superb fun. Looks beautiful, melts your eyes with the speed and is really challenging to 100% (it took me a long time!).