Games that never get mentioned

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ferret Oxide

Games that never get mentioned

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm looking at expanding my PS2 library, but there are so many games for it that I've never heard of before. So I thought I'd ask for assistance.

I've seen plenty of hidden gems lists, but what I'm interested in are games that are "ok" but not great. The games people never really talk about because they are neither good nor bad enough to register on people's radar.

Oh, and please give a bit of information about the game. I love lists as much as anyone, but it would be nice to have more than titles.

As an example, I have been looking at X Squad. An early third person shooter that's clunky and basic without doing anything particularly wrong.

Megamixer

Re: Games that never get mentioned

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Urban Chaos: Riot Response - an awesome FPS where you play as a riot officer fighting terrorists. The game has live-action news broadcasts between stages (which I thought were cool) , you can bring up your riot shield at any time to block incoming bullets/knives/axes and there is more than just shooting to do i.e. rescuing people trapped in burning buildings etc. Really unique FPS that costs a few quid and never gets mentioned anymore.

BloodRayne 1 + 2 - Action game where you play as a female vampire fighting a cult plus nazis. You have to suck blood from enemies to regain health plus there is a fantastic slow-mo mode which is great fun when hacking up enemies with your blades. BloodRayne 2 is a big improvement with better graphics, loads of new moves and finishing kills etc.

Death By Degrees - Tekken spin-off where you play as Nina Williams in a 3rd person action game. I really liked the combat in this since all attacks are performed by pressing the right analogue stick towards enemies and combining it with buttons for different moves. There are some cool x-ray-style bone-breaking special moves and some puzzly bits reminiscent of the older Resi games. The press slated the game at the time but I really enjoyed it. It looks quite nice too.

Enthusia Professional Racing - Kind of like a Gran Turismo game i.e. realistic physics/handling but with a more Japanese arcade feel to the music and atmosphere. Circuits are really challenging and need to be tackled properly (the Nurburgring is terrifying as always!) and there are well over a 100 real, licensed cars. The attention to detail on the car models and overall graphics are really amazing for a PS2 game. Again, this never gets mentioned.

Sensible Soccer 2006 - People who played the originals seem to hate this but for a few quid, it's great fun. You can score ridiculous goals and the aftertouch feature makes for some lovely swervy shots.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Nano Breaker.

It's a fun hack and slash game by Konami where your weapon can change into other weapons while unleashing combos. Picked it up years ago and never really saw it in the wild again. Average game but I find it really fun.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:32 am

Ferret Oxide wrote:I'm looking at expanding my PS2 library, but there are so many games for it that I've never heard of before.
thats mainly because the PS2 has LOTS and LOTS of spamware s**t, (lassie?)

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am

One day I'll actually buy this. Its cheap enough...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:29 am

c0nfu53d wrote:One day I'll actually buy this. Its cheap enough...

Its short, but kinda fun

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Roadkill. It was the substitute for the lack of a GTA game the year it came out. I remember liking it quite a bit. From what I remember, it was a bit like GTA, but you didn't get out your car. Lots of shooting and chasing about a open world. I can't remember the specifics.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:34 pm

DPrinny wrote:
c0nfu53d wrote:One day I'll actually buy this. Its cheap enough...

Its short, but kinda fun
Agreed. Hated the controls for some of the levels but it's too damn weird (and fetishist?) to not find entertaining!

Another one I just remembered which is actually bloody good fun and stylish to boot: Bujingai Swordmaster. Again, costs hardly anything to pick up.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:20 pm

How about I-Ninja, pretty good game apparently but hardly ever talked about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-Ninja
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Please keep them coming, as i am definitely going to look into some of these.

Incidentally, does anyone remember an early-ish ps2 game similar to Onimusha or Dynasty Warriors in which you can play as a guy with a sword or a girl with a rifle? I seem to recall some reviews and i would like to track it down.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:58 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. Please keep them coming, as i am definitely going to look into some of these.

Incidentally, does anyone remember an early-ish ps2 game similar to Onimusha or Dynasty Warriors in which you can play as a guy with a sword or a girl with a rifle? I seem to recall some reviews and i would like to track it down.
That sounds like Konami's 7 blades one of the PS2 first releases I got given it off Black Ridge..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:25 pm

If we are going buy PS2 games I would add

Legend of Sayuki a 2d shooter sequel to the Snes Pocky and Rocky.. Very Japanese incredibly nuts bit of a difficult spike on the first boss a grim reaper/Skeleton type

Echo Night Beyond a survival horror game with you being the last human trapped on a space ship full of ghosts.. Most of the ghosts will help you or at least benign whilst others like the creepy ghost girl stalks you through the station trying to kill you. Mostly puzzle orientation as you solve puzzles that allow you to play exorcise the ghosts and progress further into the ship to find your missing girlfriend..

Blood May Tell very violent hack and slack game set in fedual japan samurai with a gun hand fighting demons

Fitness Fun Slightly pervy rythym game with the woman from Demolition Girl

Eye of Isis survival horror game set in the valley of the kings

Malice just for the most annoying character in a game ever!
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Ferret Oxide wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. Please keep them coming, as i am definitely going to look into some of these.

That sounds like Konami's 7 blades one of the PS2 first releases I got given it off Black Ridge..
Yep, 7 Blades was the name. I didn't personally like it but it's definitely a bit out there and stylish. Worth a go for a few quid anyway!

Another 4 I just remembered!:

- Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance - A 3D semi free-roaming beat 'em up by Capcom. It has a bit of a gritty, urban look to it but loads of nice touches such as having to alter your outfits to lower the chances of being spotted by rival gangs/the police, being able to rob ATM's and side-on fighting game style battles with boss characters. I really enjoyed just roaming the city, beating up thugs and messing about but there is a plot and multiple characters to try out.

- Fantavision - A fireworks, combo-based shooter thing (hard to describe it really!). Really addictive and creative, difficulty balanced just right and fantastic music/visuals. It's a real treat even today despite being a launch title and again, only a few quid for a copy! It's robbery I tell ya.

- Haunting Ground - Survival horror by Capcom whereby your heroine can't actually fight back against foes but has to hide until they lose your scent. Has a real Resi feel to the puzzles, the graphics are fantastic and it's properly scary/tense at times due to the atmosphere and generally feeling helpless against enemies you can't fight back against. This one is one of my favourites actually :)

- Shadow of Memories - A time-travel based adventure game with lots of decisions to make and loads of multiple endings depending on what you do throughout the game. The real star of this game is the plot/story because the way it all comes together after all the going back-and-forth in time is so clever. I really didn't want it to end!

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Shinobi wrote:If we are going buy PS2 games I would add

Legend of Sayuki a 2d shooter sequel to the Snes Pocky and Rocky.. Very Japanese incredibly nuts bit of a difficult spike on the first boss a grim reaper/Skeleton type
The problem with Legend of Sayuki is it costs too much.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:57 am

Megamixer wrote:
- Shadow of Memories - A time-travel based adventure game with lots of decisions to make and loads of multiple endings depending on what you do throughout the game. The real star of this game is the plot/story because the way it all comes together after all the going back-and-forth in time is so clever. I really didn't want it to end!

This was exactly the game I was thinking of when I read the title. Picked it up in WH Smith even though I'd never heard of it cause the cover looked interesting. The blurb on the back didn't give much away, but the review quotes sounded impressive so I bought it.

Absolutely loved it, had to use online guides a couple of times, and to find out about the multiple endings, but spent many hours playing that game. Rarely ever hear it get mentioned though.

Only other game I could think of was The Bouncer on PS2. Basically only existed to show off the Duelshock 2's analogue capabilities, but I thought it was great. Again, multiple endings, loads of character choice, a bit short but that meant it wasn't a chore to play through with a different/unlocked character and see the new ending. Would've loved a sequel.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.