MAME + 4K + GLSL/HLSL

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

planetmatt

MAME + 4K + GLSL/HLSL

Post by planetmatt » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:28 am

Guys,

I'm looking buy a high end MAME cocktail cab.

Genuine 19" 15Khz CRT is out the question as nobody sells them now but I want the screen as close to genuine as possible. With this in mind, I want a system that can run GLSL/HLSL shaders to emulate the curve, bloom, and scanlines of a real CRT (not the crappy image overlay scanlines). What spec GPU do I need to run a 4K screen with shader support and not drop under 60FPS in any pre-1995 Arcade Game?
"1984 was not intended to be a guide"
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings"

Bluce_Ree

Re: MAME + 4K + GLSL/HLSL

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:33 pm

I don't know owt about all that techie gubz (c)RP but hi Matt!

outdated_gamer

Re: MAME + 4K + GLSL/HLSL

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:58 am

I'd say a GTX 750 Ti would do this job perfectly, but you could also go for a 2nd hand GTX 650 Ti for twice less money but still fully able to handle this. You might be lured in the budget, passive cooled GPUs like the GT 730, but know that those are pretty bottle-necked when it comes to memory (64-bit memory) and as such I don't know if they would be well-suited for 4K native displays (they're 720p/1080p cards, really). If you got a more recentish Intel CPU or a AMD "A" one, you can first try out the intergrated graphics and see how that works and then buy a discrete card if it doesn't do the work.