Selling 3DS with downloaded games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retroman83

Selling 3DS with downloaded games?

Post by retroman83 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:04 am

Hi all, has anyone here ever sold their Nintendo 3DS and included the downloaded games?

I've realised the games are associated to the Nintendo ID thing, What a pain!!

I've got 5 decent games to include, and I'm actually happy to let the Nintendo ID go with the console as I'm not interested in using it again, but it's dodgy really isn't it.

As far as I can tell, the buyer can reset everything on my ID (with my help), apart from the username and date of birth.

But then if they already have their own Nintendo ID that they want to use then the games are gone.

What have you lot done when selling your 3DS, or even buying your 3DS?

Cheers :D

paranoid marvin

Re: Selling 3DS with downloaded games?

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:06 am

It was ever the case that the money we paid was for the right to play the game, not to own it or be able to part ex/sell it. But in the past with physical media, there wasn't a great deal that companies could do to stop it. Now with digital media they CAN do something about it. Which is the reason that software companies were so keen to go down that route, and an annoyance that prices of games don't reflect the change in circumstances.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:42 am

paranoid marvin wrote:It was ever the case that the money we paid was for the right to play the game, not to own it or be able to part ex/sell it.
Have any of you guys taken the time to read through the agreement/terms & conditions? I have no problem with not being able to re-sell digital content, as long as I own it. If not, then I would just be renting it, and any provider could just, in theory, choose to shut down their services for good any day, with no consumer rights violated? That doesn't seem right.

I must admit I expect Nintendo and Sony to maintain my Wii, and PS3 games availability, related to my account. With my Wii, this might be an issue?

It's strange how the digitalization of everything is a constant degration of all kinds of rights...
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:52 am

MediaCult wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:It was ever the case that the money we paid was for the right to play the game, not to own it or be able to part ex/sell it.
Have any of you guys taken the time to read through the agreement/terms & conditions? I have no problem with not being able to re-sell digital content, as long as I own it. If not, then I would just be renting it, and any provider could just, in theory, choose to shut down their services for good any day, with no consumer rights violated? That doesn't seem right.

I must admit I expect Nintendo and Sony to maintain my Wii, and PS3 games availability, related to my account. With my Wii, this might be an issue?

It's strange how the digitalization of everything is a constant degration of all kinds of rights...
You can see why companies are pushing for it. It rids them of all the red tape that comes with retail sales. No more refunds, no more second hand sales and no more promotions that they have no control over. Not to mention cheaper overheads for them and a captive audience. I wish people knew what they were getting into with this digital future.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image