Bluetooth joypads for PC?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Bluetooth joypads for PC?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:41 am

For a good few years now, a wired 360 joypad has been my general purpose all rounder for PC gaming, since the wireless one needed a USB adapter thingy.

What are my options for joypads that will just use the internal bluetooth on my Windows 10 tablet now?

Wii? PS3? PS4? XBone?

I'm thinking the XBone pad is a good option, since being MS, Windows and PC games tend to be preconfigured with XBox controls in mind.

I do already have PS3 pads, are these an option? Or Wiimotes for simpler games, or I have a classic controller? I did have Wiimotes bluetoothed to my Android tablet, but an update killed the functionality.

Or is there a better 3rd party option (since, for example, the 360 dpad is awful).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Re: Bluetooth joypads for PC?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:19 am

I've not used it in a while, but the PS3 pad works well, is comfortable, great battery life, bluetooth range and crucially has an acceptable d-pad (unlike the MS ones as you suggested as well). I can't recall the software I used exactly, but it worked on Windows 10.

So yea, I would go for the PS3 option, although I tend to still be very much old school and use a SNES pad and USB adaptor - but then this is for emulation rather than modern PC games, in which case, the PS3 pad would be much more suitable!

I recall using a Wiimote with Classic Controller many moons ago as well out of curiosity and novelty value, which is also good, but the PS3 is better in that it requires no attachments or wires. Battery life is probably also superior, as I find wiimotes dying very quickly on standard non-rechargeable AA batteries.

Joey

Re: Bluetooth joypads for PC?

Post by Joey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:29 am

The Xbox one pad is probably your best bet as it feels pretty good, has a nice D-pad and is super easy to connect. Note that only the revised controllers (that came out with the Xbox one S) are bluetooth, the original ones will need the dongle.

The Dualshock 4 also needs the recently released dongle if you want to connect wireless.