When did you find out...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SpockIOM

Re: When did you find out...

Post by SpockIOM » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:09 pm

I didn't realise that Probotector and Contra were the same game/series until I'd played Super Probotector and seen Contra 3 as a challenge on Gamesmaster. Even back then I thought the censorship idea was being really soft.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Astonished to find out that Father Christmas does exist. Your parents actually just lied to you when you were 11 and said it was them to try and make you like them more during your teenage years. :lol:
Last edited by joefish on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:47 am

theantmeister wrote:
ncf1 wrote:
joefish wrote:And I was slightly disturbed to learn that about half the reviewers and writers I'd admired during my younger days of reading 8-bit computer magazines were entirely fictitious.
Wait, what?
Zzaps Paul Sumner, Richard Eddie and Lloyd Mangram where all fictitious, never read crash but remember reading somewhere some Crash reviewers where made up... I always wanted to know who Mean Yob was, as I'd cry with laughter at his insults..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:42 am

joefish wrote:Astonished to ind out that Father Christmas does exist. Your parents actually just lied to you when you were 11 and said it was them to try and make you like them more during your teenage years. :lol:

If Father Christmas doesn't exist who leave the presents under the tree and eats the cookies I leave out? Explain that with your precious "science"!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:54 am

Shinobi wrote: Zzaps Paul Sumner, Richard Eddie and Lloyd Mangram where all fictitious
Paul Sumner was Dominic Candy from Crash, who got drafted in when Bob Wade and Chris Anderson decided not to move to Ludlow. Richard Eddy was very much real afaik, he ended up going to work at Codemasters.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:59 am

Negative Creep wrote:
joefish wrote:Astonished to ind out that Father Christmas does exist. Your parents actually just lied to you when you were 11 and said it was them to try and make you like them more during your teenage years. :lol:

If Father Christmas doesn't exist who leave the presents under the tree and eats the cookies I leave out? Explain that with your precious "science"!
That's the 3 stages of Father Christmas:

You believe in Father Christmas
You don't believe in Father Christmas
You are Father Christmas

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Negative Creep wrote:If Father Christmas doesn't exist who leave the presents under the tree and eats the cookies I leave out? Explain that with your precious "science"!
I just said he did. Grief there's some reactionary types around here... :lol:

My mum once showed me a picture of me as a tiny sprog sat on Santa's knee at a village jumble sale, completely unaware - at the time - that it was my own dad behind the false beard. And no, this is not because of some dodgy past, before you ask! :mrgreen:

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:05 pm

I used to wonder when Sega was going to release the Genesis over here, assuming it was an upgraded Megadrive...
Going Solo...................

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:30 pm

It wasn't until I tried (and failed) to learn Greek a few years ago that I realised the lettering on the cover image for Rasputin on the Spectrum was the cyrillic way of writing 'RASPUTIN', 'РАСПУТИН'.

Also, that means 'ПУТИН' is 'Putin'. And that backwards 'R' in Toys'Я'Us is actually pronounced 'Ya' (as in 'Yak'). And whenever some advertising moron writes the word 'GRΣΣK' to advertise a youghurt that's in no way Greek at all, that's actually an 'S' sound. I would suggest rubbing their noses in it, but it doesn't seem to have done much for that talentless s***-singer in the adverts.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:34 am

I didn't know how exchange rates worked, and I kept looking at prices for games and systems in UK and US magazines and wondered why things were so much cheaper than in Australia.
Turns out, even with exchange rates things were cheaper overseas (just not as much as I thought).
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:40 am

lavalyte wrote:I didn't know how exchange rates worked, and I kept looking at prices for games and systems in UK and US magazines and wondered why things were so much cheaper than in Australia.
Turns out, even with exchange rates things were cheaper overseas (just not as much as I thought).
Heh, I still have my copy of Super Street Fighter 2 that cost me R250 (south african rand).

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:00 pm

I didn't know that the SEGA Saturn was coming out back in I think it was 94? I remember hearing people talking about the 32x and assumed that was the replacement for the Mega Drive. Found out years later that it was an add-on and that the Saturn was the proper full on replacement for the Mega Drive!
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT