When did you find out...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

theantmeister

When did you find out...

Post by theantmeister » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:44 am

If you, like me, started gaming when you were a wee lad you probably just played games without knowing anything about them (or caring, frankly).

But as time goes on you learn things. Some of which are kinda surprising. For example, the thing that inspired this thread was when I realised Rockman and Megaman were, in fact, the same thing :idea: I'm not sure how I worked that out though. :?

Anyway, anyone else had (what alcoholics refer to as) a moment of clarity?

Negative Creep

Re: When did you find out...

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:53 am

Never knew until I was much older that Mario 2 was a reskin. Never stopped to think why the gameplay and world was so different to the rest of the series.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:40 am

I was interested to learn that Dan Dare III was a graphical hack of an unrelated game that had been submitted to the publisher.

And I always thought Bo Jangebourg had ripped off The Artist with the draw-and-fill routines that made up the levels in Fairlight. Until I found out the same guy had written both. Somehow I imagined games programmers and utility programmers were entirely different species...

And I was slightly disturbed to learn that about half the reviewers and writers I'd admired during my younger days of reading 8-bit computer magazines were entirely fictitious.

Also a bit disappointed watching footage of 80s software houses (I never saw that 'Commercial Breaks' originally), as I'd imagined they had these huge luxurious buildings with their name on the front, rather than being crammed in the corridors and basements of pokey little old office blocks full of all sorts of other dodgy two-man-one-phone businesses.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:54 am

i had no idea the Zzap! crew were kids not knowing what they were really doing flying by the seat of their pants. But I think because of this they injected a lot of humour into the mag which made it so brilliant, they were clearly enjoying themselves.

That's one thing I really miss. RG is great and Iain Lee's column provided a hearty laugh each month and removing that, for me, was a big let down. It needs a bit more of an injection of humour in my opinion. Just as an aside.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:22 am

ncf1 wrote:That's one thing I really miss. RG is great and Iain Lee's column provided a hearty laugh each month and removing that, for me, was a big let down. It needs a bit more of an injection of humour in my opinion. Just as an aside.
The reaction to Rev Stu's Kick Off article seems to have put a damper on that sort of thing.
joefish wrote:And I was slightly disturbed to learn that about half the reviewers and writers I'd admired during my younger days of reading 8-bit computer magazines were entirely fictitious.
Wait, what?

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:41 am

I didn't think Stu was actually trying to be funny though.. I think he was just really, really getting some things off his chest :lol:

William S

Post by William S » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:41 am

The Great Giana Sisters was one of my favorite games on the C64.
I had no idea it was a rip-off of Super Mario Bros, until I got a NES around '90-'91.
Hooked it up, sat down, pressed play... :o Wait... WHAT!? :o
I still prefer The Great Giana Sisters over SMB.
ImageImageImage

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:42 pm

I always thought regional name changing was odd - when I first got into Mame this became apparent.
Gryzor was actually called Contra everywhere else, ditto Nemesis and Gradius. they were loads of games i'd never heard of and eagerly downloaded, only to be greeted by x'ain d sleena or gladiator going by a different name.

Also it blew my mind that some arcade games had file sizes that let them fit on one floppy disk! sometimes you could get loads on a single floppy too - for some reason I had it in my head because the graphics and sound in arcade games like r-type and thundercross were so much better than anything on an amiga they'd be massive files - especially when some crappy looking/sounding amiga games came on multiple discs.

also a recent one one - finding out last month that the neo geo can't scale sprites, only reduce sprites. no wonder there's never been a space harrier type game for neo geo

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Going online and learning that most of the world had never played a Master System was a big revelation for me. When I was at school, it seemed like every gamer had one.

Finding out that Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was a reskin of Puyo Puyo was an early one, but it wasn't until much later that I found out that Puyo Puyo is a spin-off of the Madou Monogatari RPG series.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:14 pm

theantmeister wrote:
ncf1 wrote:That's one thing I really miss. RG is great and Iain Lee's column provided a hearty laugh each month and removing that, for me, was a big let down. It needs a bit more of an injection of humour in my opinion. Just as an aside.
The reaction to Rev Stu's Kick Off article seems to have put a damper on that sort of thing.
joefish wrote:And I was slightly disturbed to learn that about half the reviewers and writers I'd admired during my younger days of reading 8-bit computer magazines were entirely fictitious.
Wait, what?
A slight exaggeration from Joefish there. A couple of Newsfield reviewers were made up, to make sure there was the minimum of 2/3 opinions per big review. An example - Paul Sumner was actually an alias for Dominic Handy (but various writers did reviews as PS). The Scorelord appeared for a short while as a ZZAP reviewer but again was cover for other writers.

And many of the writers posed as characters, particularly for the Adventure column.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:01 pm

I thought the only fictitious character in all that was Gordon Houghton? :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:16 pm

ncf1 wrote:i had no idea the Zzap! crew were kids not knowing what they were really doing flying by the seat of their pants. But I think because of this they injected a lot of humour into the mag which made it so brilliant, they were clearly enjoying themselves.

That's a great call. At the time, as kids you thought they were just so cool Lol. You look at pics of those days now, wow they were just kids themselves

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:27 am

ncf1 wrote:I thought the only fictitious character in all that was Gordon Houghton? :lol:
Nope, he's real and a published author.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:50 pm

theantmeister wrote:Wait, what?
merman wrote:A slight exaggeration from Joefish there. A couple of Newsfield reviewers were made up, to make sure there was the minimum of 2/3 opinions per big review. An example - Paul Sumner was actually an alias for Dominic Handy
I was mainly referring to Your Sinclair, particularly under editor Teresa Maughan, which used multiple pseudonyms for some contributors. But they really went to town on it with editorials that discussed fictional backgrounds, gossip and relationships between these pseudonyms. One mentioned repeatedly was an on-going romance between reviewers Gwyn Hughes and Rachael Smith, who were in fact both pseudonyms of contributing writer John Minson (along with 'Sue Denham' and others). And even genuine contributors were given fictional office roles like trainee, tea-boy, new-girl, etc. to cover for the fact that they only wrote occasional articles.

Amongst Spectrum owners the most famous, though most obvious, was Crash's 'editor' Lloyd Mangram.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:05 am

When i was younger i didn't realise that the Genesis was the american mega drive. I always assumed it was some sort of budget range.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image