Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm

A Surprise Nintendo Direct Mini aired today revealing new titles for the next few months like Mario Tennis Aces, Dark Souls Remastered, ports of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors, DLC for Mario + Rabbids and Pokken Tournament, YS VIII, a remaster of The World Ends With You, and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zahv-P7 ... e=youtu.be
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm

I enjoyed the presentation. Kirby and Mario Tennis Aces will likely be day one buys. I struggled to get on with Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U but I think I may give this port another chance. The dual screen battle system of The World Ends With You always put me off but hopefully that won't be an obstacle on the Switch, if the battle system is alright I'll probably give it a go.

I think people need to remember that these things aren't supposed to be the totality of what Nintendo is serving up on the Switch. Some will complain about the amount of ports but I think Nintendo are doing more new games for the Switch than people realise, off the top of my head they've done Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2, Arms, Xenoblade 2, and Fire Emblem Warriors, and they're doing Metroid Prime 4, a new Yoshi, Kirby, a new Pokemon, a new Fire Emblem main series game, and Mario Tennis Aces.

And the third paries have chipped in with Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Sonic Forces, Bayonetta 3, Dragon Quest, and quite a few digital games like Lost Sphere, Steamworld Dig 2, Golf Story, Sonic Mania, Stardew Valley, Project Octopath Traveler etc, so there are plenty of new games too.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Will Mario Tennis have a "no nonsense" mode? Can't remember if it was Power Tennis on the GameCube which had all sorts of nonsense when I just wanted a game of tennis!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Trust Nintendo to be the company that makes us all wanna buy cardboard. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Bd3HUMkyU
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm

They are testing to see how low they can get before those fans think they are taking the censored

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:03 am

At least now we know why the Switch library is so limited, they've been fannying about with Blue Peter stuff.

All very clever, but a bit censored at the same time.

If they're a pound a go, fine, but you can guarantee they'll want silly money for these.

Hopefully they've come up with some sort of system that lets people build their own things.

I'd much rather they just went the route of Google cardboard and offered a VR setup using the Switch at least.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:26 am

It does look a bit naff (the cardboard stuff), and I hope its not distracting Ninty from making great games and have "faith" it isn't. Hopefully it won't be too long before Nintendo's full attention goes into the Switch from the 3DS. I believe that is the ultimate strategy, given its a hybrid console and the 3DS has had a good run but seemingly no real plans for its successor.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Yeah, I suspect that this is is from the side of Nintendo that would otherwise be making games like 1-2 Switch, Wii Music or R.O.B. and consequently not diverting too many resources from the next Zelda or Mario.

I'm rather hoping that if I ignore it, it'll follow their lead down the memory hole.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:03 am
At least now we know why the Switch library is so limited, they've been fannying about with Blue Peter stuff.

If they're a pound a go, fine, but you can guarantee they'll want silly money for these.

Hopefully they've come up with some sort of system that lets people build their own things.

I'd much rather they just went the route of Google cardboard and offered a VR setup using the Switch at least.
Yeah, but Google Cardboard was cr*p, and most VR is almost as cr*p :lol:
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:54 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 am
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:03 am

Yeah, but Google Cardboard was cr*p, and most VR is almost as cr*p :lol:
I don't know about that. Pr0nhub does what Nintendon't
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 pm

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-labo.list

So that's £60 for the normal set, £70 for the giant robot set (Which I assume is the long in development Project Giant Robo Miyamoto thing right?), £9 for stickers, pens and such to add to your creations.

At the very least, I think I'll give the giant robot one a go as even if it is a gimmick, it resembles a videogame in some way while the other's more just for fun.

Wonder if EA will team up with Nintendo to do a Rock Band set with cardboard instruments... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:21 am

It's at least twice as much as I'd pay. There isn't a hope in hell I'd splash £60-70 on this.

The Rock Band comparison above is a good one. I think I was about £50 for a game with a full set of plastic drums that are still going strong. Not sure some cardboard would survive that long. Another game with plastic guitar, sub £30.

This will bomb at those prices, it'll never maintain sales, it'll be one hit for the Ninty fanboys to hoover stuff up then its gone.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:14 pm

I bit the bullet and bought the Pro Controller. Wow, it's nigh on perfect. Expensive yes, but, well, the money's spent now so I'll enjoy it for what it is.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:21 am
It's at least twice as much as I'd pay. There isn't a hope in hell I'd splash £60-70 on this.

The Rock Band comparison above is a good one. I think I was about £50 for a game with a full set of plastic drums that are still going strong. Not sure some cardboard would survive that long. Another game with plastic guitar, sub £30.

This will bomb at those prices, it'll never maintain sales, it'll be one hit for the Ninty fanboys to hoover stuff up then its gone.
You might have picked one up cheap in sale or second hand; certainly once they oversaturated the market and sales slumped they were very easy to get hold of at those prices or less, but the Rock Band controller sets were much more expensive than that when they first came out. I remember paying about £90 for mine and that was without any of the games. They're still charging around £70 for the legacy controller adapter so you can use them with Rock Band 4 on new consoles even.

£10 for a cardboard set seems relatively reasonable in comparison, especially when there's a DIY alternative that's practically free. I'm just struggling to think of how they're going to make a worthwhile game out of this concept that could outlive the initial hype. That "piano" certainly looks a lot more Wii Music than Rock Band to my eyes.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 am

On the Pro Controller topic, is there a carry case for it?

I've tried travelling with mine a couple of times, but I'm assuming buttons are pushed while in my bag, causing it to come to life, killing the battery. Not very handy for a portable system.