Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Nintendo NX Reveal Coming Tomorrow!

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:49 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
kiwimike wrote: Fair points. I'm not quite as quick on, but as said I love the design, and love the cart based aspect for no mucking about turn on and play gaming. It's doubtful it's going to be cutting edge latest tech etc
Infact, it does have cutting-edge tech (Nvidia Tegra Pascal based), but in mobile standards. When compared to home consoles, it's obviously behind, but as I said, for mobile standards it's very good and there's a large audience for mobile gaming these days
Yes, another fair point. And that's another plus for me. I like handheld/mobile gaming, but not on my phone, I prefer to keep it separate. So to have this machine, and have both a nice home system and a decent portable gaming device with tablet like screen but decent controllers- That definitely has me interested. Sure there are more powerful home systems, and there will always be those that HAVE to have the most cutting edge and be the first on the block to have it. But there are plenty where that isn't the be all end all. Some tend to get silly comparing the slightest specs to have boasting rights to the most gruntiest game rig in a console possible, when in actual reality the average Joe couldn't tell the difference between them, or there was only the slightest of differences. This isn't aimed at those gamers, and it never was. As long as it is decent...from there it will only be game quality and price that goes into consideration. :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:11 am

General Opulence wrote:Well from early indications it's puts it here;

XB1 - 1.3tf
NS - 1.5tf
PS4 - 1.8tf
PS4Pro - 4.1tf
Scorpio - 6tf est.

So if these are true it puts only just above the lowest of this gen consoles which themselves will be over 3 years old, but more than 'slightly behind' the mid gen upgrades, for me if the Switch is priced over £200 it will be overpriced.
It's only overpriced if you never intend to pick it up out of its cradle and play it on the hop. If you do, a rather different comparison applies:

New 3DS - 0.005 tf
Vita - 0.056 tf
Shield Tablet - 0.365 tf

Next to those, 1.5tf is off the chart. This is promising to be the most powerful handheld games device by a margin that's frankly ridiculous. If they can do it for £200, I'll be buying two; well, assuming they don't find some other way to screw it up, of course.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:18 am

Matt_B wrote: This is promising to be the most powerful handheld games device by a margin that's frankly ridiculous. If they can do it for £200, I'll be buying two; well, assuming they don't find some other way to screw it up, of course.
This is the thing really. The Switch isn't a console. It's a handheld with a docking station.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:37 am

killbot wrote:
Analog wrote:I like the switch from what I have seen, I think this should be more successful than wii u. it's ticking all the right boxes so far, and audiences seem much more receptive and positive than with the wii u unveiling.
I think the video released on Thursday shows Nintendo have learned a lot from Wii U. When Wii U launched there was almost no attempt to communicate to players what it was or what it did, all people saw was a new Wii show up in stores that had a kind of funny tablet thing with it. Four years on and a lot of people just don't understand that it's even a different console. Those that do know still don't seem to understand what it does or what it offers. With Switch they've dropped the Wii name (which will help) and the video is very clearly setting out the concept of the console, what it does and why you should want one in the way they just never did with Wii U.
yup! I think they got it right in that respect.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:36 am

This post is almost the polar opposite to my own feelings. I'll try to explain why beneath:
General Opulence wrote:The trouble is they said this is their home console first, so no matter what the whole tablet part is a gimmick, it compromises the home console by reducing its possible power with portability, yet the portable side isn't very portable, the lynx and game gear were slagged off for being too big and not portable and that was in the late 80s, yet because its Nintendo it's now defined as acceptable!

Did they say it's their 'home console first'? I thought they said it was a device that offered a new conecpt in gaming. That may be a bit overblown but I get what they mean. The comparisons with the Game Gear and Lynx are spurious for a number of reasons. For a start, in those days, there was an alternative (the Game Boy) that offered more games, was cheaper and had a better battery life. There's no direct competitor to the Switch. The closest thing would be tablets, but they are still a slightly different market.

As I said in an earlier post, I'd rather pay less and have a console without the gimmicky tablet, plus the fact people have to buy another controller just to get one with a dpad, again something that Nintendo fans point out to PlayStation or Xbox when the dpad looks naff, but again it gets overlooked, not acceptable to me.

The lack of a D-pad is a compromise to facilitate diverse functionality. That isn't the case with the MS or Sony pads.Personally I hope the compromise was a wise one and we'll find out at launch. I certainly wouldn't deem it 'unacceptable' at this stage.

The only redeeming feature at this point in time is the cartridge slot, if the games can be played from shop to screen then I'll still be interested, but I don't understand people above who own a Wii u. Like me, in the trailer most of those games are on the Wii u, albeit earlier versions and Zelda to come, bar a port of NBA and skyrim, the only new game is mario and it looked average at best.

The software library is the thing I'm most excited about. The very fact that Nintendo is consolidating all of it's talent to develop for a single system is as near as you're ever going to get to a cast-iron 100% guarantee of gaming excellence to come. I'm not sure how you can make a judgement on Switch Mario based on a couple of seconds of footage but all of my 30+ years experience as a gamer leads me to conclude that a new Mario game on a flagship system is likely to be at least better that average.

Of course there is still 6 months to launch, all I'm saying at this time is there is not a lot to get exited about, so excuse me for not joining in and slightly bemused at the early hype!
Of course, we don't know a whole lot at the moment, but nothing I've seen or heard leads me to be anything less than optimistic.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:23 am

"Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost" that's been quoted from Nintendo, you see they are already confusing gamers again with what it's supposed to be! :x

The comparisons with the Lynx and Gamegear were todo with size, I was measly pointing out Nintendo fans laughed and pointed at the size of them, now they have their own big 'handheld' that won't fit in most trouser pockets.

The lack of dpad with the bundled controller means at some point people who want a dpad have to shell out at extra cost to the system for a pro controller (excluding 2nd pads on any system)

Sure I can't tell how good Mario will be, but the whole point of a teaser trailer esp early ones like this is to stop consumers buying the competitions hardware, the N64 teaser worked because they had some good looking and enticing hardware, this trailer as mentioned did nothing to warrant me not buying a ps4 pro this Xmas and as such maybe not buy their hardware in the spring as my main console.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:24 am

Thing is, I've seen kids in town carrying large iPads many times before, so honestly I don't think the size is much of an issue these days, especially when Nintendo's accessory partners sell you all kinds of additional carry cases, screen protection and so on. I'm sure kids will lose their minds if the Switch has Minecraft and COD ports that are not a huge downgrade they can take with them on their family days out :lol:

As for the battery, don't forget Nintendo did eventually sell a better battery for the Wii U gamepad, which sure was an extra £25 but did certainly add a few more hours. And honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo partnered with one of these charging brick things I've seen many people carry with their phones. Could easily see a Nintendo branded one of those.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Early indications suggest a 6.5" screen and a total width of about 9.5" including the controllers. And it's the size it is because that's the smallest that the technology will allow; the Tegra X1 has only previously been used in larger 10" tablets, as the power draw and heat dissipation are just too much to deal with in a smaller device. I suppose they might come back with a comfortably pocket-sized 5" model in a few years time, but it definitely couldn't launch with one.

I suppose the market is pushing towards larger tablets and smartphones and 10" screens for the former and 6" for the latter, are now pretty much the norm. As such, a handheld with a 6.5" screen probably won't seem overly enormous to most people who might use it. That said, it's still a big jump over even the largest models of the 3DS, and I don't doubt that there'll be a certain amount of anxiety at Nintendo as to whether that's going to be off-putting, even if it really is 300 times more powerful or whatever.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:21 am

Matt_B wrote:This is promising to be the most powerful handheld games device by a margin that's frankly ridiculous. If they can do it for £200, I'll be buying two; well, assuming they don't find some other way to screw it up, of course.
There's no reason why they can't, its just basically the next gen nvidia shield tablet with a docking station and clip on controls, and with the buying power of Nintendo £199 is easily doable, and the upper price if they want to sell to above just the Nintendo fanbase, and the end of the day average consumers will see this as a tablet that can be played on the tv.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 am

General Opulence wrote:the end of the day average consumers will see this as a tablet that can be played on the tv.
And what's wrong with that, coming from Nintendo, one of the leaders of handheld and home gaming? I see it offering far more than either my Android or iOS devices.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:35 am

There is one thing that really bugs me about the Switch so far. What about the kids? It's a pretty big handheld with a large screen which can break no matter how much Nintendo build quality they stick on it. Also those detachable controllers will get lost, easily. Also note how there were no children in the reveal video.

I don't think that Nintendo are replacing handhelds with the Switch at all with this in mind. There is no way that parents will be okay with kids taking this thing to school or otherwise. I would wager that the 3DS will still be around for a while with this considered. I see it more as a home console with the ability to play untethered for a few hours. It seems to be aimed at adults which seems pretty uncharacteristic of Nintendo.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:37 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
General Opulence wrote:the end of the day average consumers will see this as a tablet that can be played on the tv.
And what's wrong with that, coming from Nintendo, one of the leaders of handheld and home gaming? I see it offering far more than either my Android or iOS devices.
Nothing wrong with that, i was pointing out the price point will have to reflect it being a tablet rather than a home console, both the PS4 and XB1 are £249 in the shops (cheaper online) for Nintendo to sell a tablet with a dock for more than that i cant see happening, well if it does i cant see it hitting above the Wii U in terms of sales, it has to be cheaper, it may well hit £249 at launch because of the exchange rate atm, but again sales wont get past the console fanbase levels until the price drops to an acceptable handheld price point.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:51 am

General Opulence wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Nothing wrong with that, i was pointing out the price point will have to reflect it being a tablet rather than a home console, both the PS4 and XB1 are £249 in the shops (cheaper online) for Nintendo to sell a tablet with a dock for more than that i cant see happening, well if it does i cant see it hitting above the Wii U in terms of sales, it has to be cheaper, it may well hit £249 at launch because of the exchange rate atm, but again sales wont get past the console fanbase levels until the price drops to an acceptable handheld price point.
I agree with this to be honest. It needs to be likewise in price or cheaper to stand a chance. I blame the asking price of the Wii U mostly for the lack of mainstream adoption. What made the Wii successful apart from the sense of wonder and imagination was the fact it was so cheap, The Wii U didn't have the same luxury.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:56 am

Grizzly wrote:There is one thing that really bugs me about the Switch so far. What about the kids? It's a pretty big handheld with a large screen which can break no matter how much Nintendo build quality they stick on it. Also those detachable controllers will get lost, easily. Also note how there were no children in the reveal video.

I don't think that Nintendo are replacing handhelds with the Switch at all with this in mind. There is no way that parents will be okay with kids taking this thing to school or otherwise. I would wager that the 3DS will still be around for a while with this considered. I see it more as a home console with the ability to play untethered for a few hours. It seems to be aimed at adults which seems pretty uncharacteristic of Nintendo.
Have you seen how many kids have iPads or Android tablets these days? I see far more kids playing with these than with 3DS or Vita.

Expect a higher initial price point, with a drop within a year or so. It'll sell better than the WiiU, I guarantee it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:32 am

General Opulence wrote:
Matt_B wrote:This is promising to be the most powerful handheld games device by a margin that's frankly ridiculous. If they can do it for £200, I'll be buying two; well, assuming they don't find some other way to screw it up, of course.
There's no reason why they can't, its just basically the next gen nvidia shield tablet with a docking station and clip on controls, and with the buying power of Nintendo £199 is easily doable, and the upper price if they want to sell to above just the Nintendo fanbase, and the end of the day average consumers will see this as a tablet that can be played on the tv.
I don't think it's easily doable. The current Shield tablet sells for £169 in a very barebones package that doesn't even come with a USB cable, let alone a dock and controller. Also, that's based on the older Tegra K1 chip and X1 tablets are typically much more expensive, like the Google Pixel C at £399. I'd think they could shave a fair bit off that latter price, as the Switch is unlikely to come with a quad HD screen, high resolution cameras, GPS, etc. but getting it down to £200 probably isn't going to happen straight away, unless they're prepared to take a big loss on every sale in a fashion that'd be very uncharacteristic of Nintendo.

Still, if they could get it that low - which is barely more than some of the New 3DS bundles are going for at the moment - it'd seem a good recipe for getting it to fly off the shelves.