Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK Temp

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK Temp » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Namco Museum is coming July 28th in-case you wanted another version of Pac Man (Though it does have a version of Pac Man Vs on it.)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... ndo_switch

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:29 pm

News on Super Mario Oddysey: You cannot get Game Over!
“If Mario’s health drops to zero, or if he falls down a bottomless pit, you’ll lose 10 of your coins. But…! No matter how many times you’ll mess up, there’s never a game over.”
And yet coins are, quite clearly, present in abundance in Super Mario Odyssey. So what do they do now? The fact that you lose them for playing poorly, but don’t need them to continue playing, suggests that instead of granting extra lives coins now serve some other purpose to incentivize skillful play.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/07/05/n ... o-odyssey/

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:46 pm

We're getting a crazy keyboard add on similar to the Gamecube one! :lol:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... e_keyboard

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Rumours now that we're getting the remastered version of LA Noire. Table Tennis, Bully, LA Noire... why will Rockstar bring so many of its games to Nintendo but not GTA? Aside from a few hand held spin-offs we've never seen a GTA title on Nintendo, and the Switch could run any of the titles in the series (maybe not the remastered version of V) without breaking sweat.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Double post
Last edited by killbot on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:29 pm
“If Mario’s health drops to zero, or if he falls down a bottomless pit, you’ll lose 10 of your coins. But…! No matter how many times you’ll mess up, there’s never a game over.”
And yet coins are, quite clearly, present in abundance in Super Mario Odyssey. So what do they do now? The fact that you lose them for playing poorly, but don’t need them to continue playing, suggests that instead of granting extra lives coins now serve some other purpose to incentivize skillful play.
They've obviously been taking lessons from the Lego games which employ a similar mechanic. If it's like that, you'll get rewards for finishing the level with a certain number of coins which is where the incentive for not dying will come in.

Still, its a shame. Mario was one of the few franchises that still let the player reach a fail state if they played badly enough, though they could still restart from a saved game. I do find the idea of games which are impossible to fail at a strange one.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:39 pm

killbot wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 pm
Nikolai wrote:
They've obviously been taking lessons from the Lego games which employ a similar mechanic. If it's like that, you'll get rewards for finishing the level with a certain number of coins which is where the incentive for not dying will come in.

Still, its a shame. Mario was one of the few franchises that still let the player reach a fail state if they played badly enough, though they could still restart from a saved game. I do find the idea of games which are impossible to fail at a strange one.
I guess it all depends on how hard it is to get all the moons in Mario. Hopefully a few of them have a nice skill curve to them rather than having the game way too easy, as I'd rather have a game kick my ass for a while until I master it versus the game being a push over (the Mario series has really suffered this issue, I've not really been all that challenged by any of them since Mario Sunshine, that includes Super Luigi U). Speaking of which, if any game needed to get rid of lives/fail state - its Sunshine. Having to jump through several hoops to access certain hidden levels just to be kicked back out to the hub world on death was bloody frustrating. Its the only Mario game I've not 100%ed still thanks to that (well, that and blue coins).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:54 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:39 pm
killbot wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 pm
Nikolai wrote:

I guess it all depends on how hard it is to get all the moons in Mario. Hopefully a few of them have a nice skill curve to them rather than having the game way too easy, as I'd rather have a game kick my ass for a while until I master it versus the game being a push over (the Mario series has really suffered this issue, I've not really been all that challenged by any of them since Mario Sunshine, that includes Super Luigi U). Speaking of which, if any game needed to get rid of lives/fail state - its Sunshine. Having to jump through several hoops to access certain hidden levels just to be kicked back out to the hub world on death was bloody frustrating. Its the only Mario game I've not 100%ed still thanks to that (well, that and blue coins).
I agree that 'Game Overs' can be overly frustrating, especially as games move further and further away from their arcade roots (where fail states were necessary in order to keep players pumping in cash). But the Call of Duty model - where you have infinite lives, regenerating health and even if you do die it generally only costs you a minute or two of progress - is too far the other way; you can't feel any anxiety about death if the punishment is so trivial. That's not to say that I want a return to the days of death meaning 'Screw you, start the whole game again from scratch' but there should be a middle ground; I think the 3D Mario games had pretty much nailed that middle ground but now obviously they're changing to a dramatically different model.

The Lego games are worse. I was playing Lego City Undercover a few years ago when I realised that the game wasn't even taking studs off me when I died in the hub world. When I lost my four blocks of energy I simply disappeared and reappeared again with a full life bar and having lost nothing whatsoever. I did find myself wondering how we arrived at a state where what used to involve furtively scouring the back pages of mags for cheats is now the default way games play out of the box.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:51 pm

My guess is its probably to do with the size of the levels as it seems to encourage exploration in a similar way to BOTW (Whether it end ups up just as big, I doubt it). Perhaps they feel if kids lose all their lives when far into a huge level, they might be put off going back to the starting point. Think I can compare that to my common complain about Banjo Tooie being too big for its own good. Okay it has a warp system, but still got annoying when I had no idea where to go, where I've not checked and starting over when I lose a live or all of them.

Heck, if the classic Wario Lands can work with this system, I'm sure a Mario 3D game can too.
killbot wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm
Rumours now that we're getting the remastered version of LA Noire. Table Tennis, Bully, LA Noire... why will Rockstar bring so many of its games to Nintendo but not GTA? Aside from a few hand held spin-offs we've never seen a GTA title on Nintendo, and the Switch could run any of the titles in the series (maybe not the remastered version of V) without breaking sweat.
Kind of doubting Table Tennis and Bully. Tennis for it being a game you could easily find for a £1 on older systems which I doubt Rockstar would attempt to match price wise even if it was digital only, and Bully has a highly rumored sequel in the works. Unless they plan on getting the sequel on the Switch, I'm doubting they'd put the original on there just to say "Oh, buy another system if you wanna play the sequel!".
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 am

Sorry, when I said Table Tennis and Bully were available on Nintendo systems I meant the Wii, not the Switch.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:48 am

Never mind GTA, what about the Red Dead games? I'd love a portable Red Dead, Gun on PSP was ace (being the nearest approximation). With iOS/Android ports of the old GTA games, it's odd we've not seen Red Dead yet, even more surprising we have no Nintendo GTA beyond Chinatown Wars on DS.

Table Tennis was a bit rubbish anyway, the Wii Sports tennis/table tennis games were far more playable.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:10 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:48 am
Never mind GTA, what about the Red Dead games? I'd love a portable Red Dead, Gun on PSP was ace (being the nearest approximation). With iOS/Android ports of the old GTA games, it's odd we've not seen Red Dead yet, even more surprising we have no Nintendo GTA beyond Chinatown Wars on DS.

Table Tennis was a bit rubbish anyway, the Wii Sports tennis/table tennis games were far more playable.
Indeed. Rockstar say they are unlikely to port RDR2 for technical reasons, but a port of the original is easily within the console's capabilities. As the first game in the series available for a Nintendo system or a hand held, it would likely sell quite a few copies to people who hadn't played it before and could hitch a ride on the hype train from the second game. Seems obvious.

I don't understand why more devs don't take the view that if the Switch can't handle Xbone/PS4 AAA games they can just, for minimal outlay, being over older games in the same franchise. Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2, GTA IV/V, Fallout 3, Bioshock, Dead Space... they may be a few years old but all of these the Switch could handle in its sleep and they haven't appeared on a Nintendo system or - crucially - a hand held before. So if the price is right, a lot of people may be tempted to buy them all over again.

I can understand why this didn't happen much on the Wii U, which just wasn't popular enough to justify even the minimal time and effort required, but the Switch is selling like hot cakes and it feels like EA, Activision, Ubisoft and the like are leaving money on the table.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Has anyone picked up Implosion? It's a Switch exclusive on console (though it did start life as a mobile game) and is reviewing really well. It's a mash-up of a fighting game and twin stick shooter, with some light RPG elements. It stands out in the eShop for looking and feeling vaguely like a 2017 game rather than a pixelart homage to the 80s or 90s, though you wouldn't mistake it for a AAA PS4 game or anything.

It definitely transcends its origins as an iOS game and is a fantastic Switch port, and for a tenner is definitely worth a download.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Oh, I also picked up Levels+, a new puzzle game that's only a fiver on the eShop. I hadn't seen a review but gave it a go for the low price and was pleasantly surprised. It's a tile based puzzler that involves levelling up your characters, collecting treasure and fighting enemies and is REALLY addictive. It's not very polished or even original but it is stupidly good fun.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Been mostly occupied with other consoles having download sales to have any funds left for newer Switch Downloads (Except Shock Troopers 2nd Squad as I love the first game.). Still, now that they're doing a least 1 deal of the week now, maybe something will be in my price range. :lol:

But I will be picking up Sonic Mania day one.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.