Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Re: Nintendo NX Reveal Coming Tomorrow!

Post by killbot » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:24 am

An impressive list. Interesting that after the relative failure of Wii U they can not only get the third parties they've lost back onside but bring in new ones who've never worked with them before like Bethesda.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:18 pm

most will jump ship soon enough

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:44 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:most will jump ship soon enough
Why not wait and see what happens first...

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:most will jump ship soon enough
Why not wait and see what happens first...
because if we all did that there would be nothing to talk about would there? but then it's no surprise that you would rather have no nintendo talk than negative nintendo talk, how soon before an "NX positive comments only" thread?

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:28 pm

i'm going to get one. Nintendo haven't let me down on the game front on any generation of consoles. they release enough games for the amount of time I have to play them, and they're usually at least fun, sometimes excellent and occasionally peerless.

don't care what the graphics chips are etc. Nintendo games always look comparable to the other consoles despite the power deficiency. actually they're usually nicer now I think about it, simply because I prefer their style of colourful charming games to whatever sony or Microsoft put out. I have an xbox one - it doesn't get used theres just nothing appealing about it, from being advertised at constantly through a service I pay for, to a crap dash, to 30 minutes installing before you can play a game (worse than tape loading ffs!). pad is nice though. I play my wii u almost every day. splatoon......is awesome.

the only thing I don't like about switch is the design of the console. it looks old fashioned in a weird way - the dock screams launch ps2 to me for some reason (which looked like a GCSE design project even back then) well, either that or a crap external hard drive case. this won't put me off but it does suck you can't get a 'grape' one or one that looks designed but someone with some aesthetic sense or design playfulness rather than by someone who likes generic grey slabs.

mind you the wii u and wii mini looked awful too I guess, so they have previous.

anyway - getting one.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:52 pm

I think it looks good. The portability doesn't interest me all that much but it's nice to have the option. Ultimately I'm interested in the system for the games, I know Nintendo will release enough quality and there will be some third party gems. I probably won't get one at launch as i've only just got a Wii U but I will certainly get one for the next new Zelda, if not before.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:43 pm

HEAVYface wrote:i'm going to get one. Nintendo haven't let me down on the game front on any generation of consoles. they release enough games for the amount of time I have to play them, and they're usually at least fun, sometimes excellent and occasionally peerless.

don't care what the graphics chips are etc. Nintendo games always look comparable to the other consoles despite the power deficiency. actually they're usually nicer now I think about it, simply because I prefer their style of colourful charming games to whatever sony or Microsoft put out. I have an xbox one - it doesn't get used theres just nothing appealing about it, from being advertised at constantly through a service I pay for, to a crap dash, to 30 minutes installing before you can play a game (worse than tape loading ffs!). pad is nice though. I play my wii u almost every day. splatoon......is awesome.

the only thing I don't like about switch is the design of the console. it looks old fashioned in a weird way - the dock screams launch ps2 to me for some reason (which looked like a GCSE design project even back then) well, either that or a crap external hard drive case. this won't put me off but it does suck you can't get a 'grape' one or one that looks designed but someone with some aesthetic sense or design playfulness rather than by someone who likes generic grey slabs.

mind you the wii u and wii mini looked awful too I guess, so they have previous.

anyway - getting one.
Fair points. I'm not quite as quick on, but as said I love the design, and love the cart based aspect for no mucking about turn on and play gaming. It's doubtful it's going to be cutting edge latest tech etc etc...but IMO it doesn't have to be. Nintendo hasn't joined in on the tech arms race for quite some time. As long as it has great games and a reasonable selling point to go with the slick design. They have my interest, they just need to tell us more to keep it. I have a 360 for the current machine, I've never upgraded, many are still like that, having not seen the need to upgrade yet. This may do it, as I'd keep the 360 and the cheap library and add this for Nintendo favourites and some third party stuff. What I'd love to see is some decent compilations of past Nintendo system titles on this...it could be an awesome Hub for all things Ninty :)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:10 pm

TBH, after how much I enjoyed 3D world, Hyrule warriors, and Mariokart 8, the power aspect does not bother me.

One thing I am happy about and not sure if anyone else is the same, is that it looks like the screen is not in use when you have it docked and you can use a normal controller.

So, Its going to be standard controls for all the games and no gimmicky 2nd screen, and no motion controls. That right there is enough for me to get excited about it.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:28 pm

The trouble is they said this is their home console first, so no matter what the whole tablet part is a gimmick, it compromises the home console by reducing its possible power with portability, yet the portable side isn't very portable, the lynx and game gear were slagged off for being too big and not portable and that was in the late 80s, yet because its Nintendo it's now defined as acceptable!

As I said in an earlier post, I'd rather pay less and have a console without the gimmicky tablet, plus the fact people have to buy another controller just to get one with a dpad, again something that Nintendo fans point out to PlayStation or Xbox when the dpad looks naff, but again it gets overlooked, not acceptable to me.

The only redeeming feature at this point in time is the cartridge slot, if the games can be played from shop to screen then I'll still be interested, but I don't understand people above who own a Wii u. Like me, in the trailer most of those games are on the Wii u, albeit earlier versions and Zelda to come, bar a port of NBA and skyrim, the only new game is mario and it looked average at best.

Of course there is still 6 months to launch, all I'm saying at this time is there is not a lot to get exited about, so excuse me for not joining in and slightly bemused at the early hype!

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:55 pm

On the power question, I'm expecting a sizeable step up from Wii U. People like Bethesda and From Software wouldn't be signed on if they thought the machine would struggle with the games they put out. I'd expect it to be roughly in the same ballpark as the 'stock' Xbox One and PS4, but slightly behind the new iterations of those machines.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:55 pm

killbot wrote:On the power question, I'm expecting a sizeable step up from Wii U. People like Bethesda and From Software wouldn't be signed on if they thought the machine would struggle with the games they put out. I'd expect it to be roughly in the same ballpark as the 'stock' Xbox One and PS4, but slightly behind the new iterations of those machines.
You're maybe expecting too much if you're basing it all on a glimpse of Skyrim. The game runs on a 360. It's a fairly easy, undemanding, straightforward port for the Switch with none of the hassle of having to develop extra game elements for the WiiU gimmicky controller. You're assuming it's the full remaster. That doesn't have to be the case. What have Bethesda said? I haven't looked into it tbh. I think people are jumping the gun a bit if they think having a publisher or developer signed up automatically means anything on the XO/PS4 is coming to the Switch in the same form.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Analog

Post by Analog » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:57 pm

games on nintendo systems historically tend to be more bug free than other systems (since devs started putting out broken games...) but we have skyrim on nintendo?

does this mean we might actually see a bug free skyrim? I thought there would be a better chance of hell freezing over tbh! :lol:

I like the switch from what I have seen, I think this should be more successful than wii u. it's ticking all the right boxes so far, and audiences seem much more receptive and positive than with the wii u unveiling.
if all the 3ds buyers migrate to this and wii u owners get one (ruling out those that have both) it will mean more units sold, just how many more is a bit of unknown quantity and will be dependent on how this pans out, as long as it remains appealing to both audiences then there is potential for much higher profits.. just get the games on there, make the price right and people will buy it, I don't even think that performance/spec power is that important or that much of a deciding factor. I think nintendo are doing a lot of good things at the moment, they seem to be striking it right with making stuff people really desire, amiibo last year, nes classic this year, mobile gaming being the top selling games when released. in fact if they play this right, they could easily transfer a lot of that lucrative audience onto the switch, games that work as gateways to their main console. :idea:

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:17 pm

killbot wrote:On the power question, I'm expecting a sizeable step up from Wii U. People like Bethesda and From Software wouldn't be signed on if they thought the machine would struggle with the games they put out. I'd expect it to be roughly in the same ballpark as the 'stock' Xbox One and PS4, but slightly behind the new iterations of those machines.
Well from early indications it's puts it here;

XB1 - 1.3tf
NS - 1.5tf
PS4 - 1.8tf
PS4Pro - 4.1tf
Scorpio - 6tf est.

So if these are true it puts only just above the lowest of this gen consoles which themselves will be over 3 years old, but more than 'slightly behind' the mid gen upgrades, for me if the Switch is priced over £200 it will be overpriced.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:37 pm

killbot wrote:An impressive list. Interesting that after the relative failure of Wii U they can not only get the third parties they've lost back onside but bring in new ones who've never worked with them before like Bethesda.
Bethesda didn't support them because they had inadequate hardware for their games. And while the Wii could have ran a special, motion-control enabled version of Morrowind and the Wii U a cut-down version of Skyrim with the screened pad inventory and map, they'd likely reach just a few thousand people, making these ports kinda redundant when the games were selling in millions on other platforms. This is the main issue with 3rd parties and Nintendo, Nintendo needs more sufficient hardware and a larger audience for them.
kiwimike wrote: Fair points. I'm not quite as quick on, but as said I love the design, and love the cart based aspect for no mucking about turn on and play gaming. It's doubtful it's going to be cutting edge latest tech etc
Infact, it does have cutting-edge tech (Nvidia Tegra Pascal based), but in mobile standards. When compared to home consoles, it's obviously behind, but as I said, for mobile standards it's very good and there's a large audience for mobile gaming these days.
General Opulence wrote: Well from early indications it's puts it here;

XB1 - 1.3tf
NS - 1.5tf
PS4 - 1.8tf
PS4Pro - 4.1tf
Scorpio - 6tf est.

So if these are true it puts only just above the lowest of this gen consoles which themselves will be over 3 years old, but more than 'slightly behind' the mid gen upgrades, for me if the Switch is priced over £200 it will be overpriced.
Terra Flops don't translate into "better graphics" by themselves, though. Did you know the PC had graphics cards that exceeded the power of both, the XBO and PS4 (Radeon 4870 X2) back in 2008? But I would not say it produced better graphics than either, things like architecture types, features support and low-level APIs matter a lot too. So those supposed "1.5 TFlops" of power that the system will have under the hood could produce some pretty fine results, given the right tools and programming magic. The Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti is rougly around 1.5 TF too, but paired with a decent CPU (e.g. Intel i3), it matches or exceeds console performance with ease.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Analog wrote:I like the switch from what I have seen, I think this should be more successful than wii u. it's ticking all the right boxes so far, and audiences seem much more receptive and positive than with the wii u unveiling.
I think the video released on Thursday shows Nintendo have learned a lot from Wii U. When Wii U launched there was almost no attempt to communicate to players what it was or what it did, all people saw was a new Wii show up in stores that had a kind of funny tablet thing with it. Four years on and a lot of people just don't understand that it's even a different console. Those that do know still don't seem to understand what it does or what it offers. With Switch they've dropped the Wii name (which will help) and the video is very clearly setting out the concept of the console, what it does and why you should want one in the way they just never did with Wii U.