Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Gave the Splatoon 2 Testfire a go earlier. Sadly there were quite a few connection errors, whether its down to the hardware or just the sheer amount of people playing (25 of my friends on my friends list alone were playing, nearly all of them alone.) just hope they sort it out either though development or the first firmware update.

I did however get about half a dozen matches out of the hour' limited (Which I logged off 15 mins early to attend to something else) and yeah, its the same Splatoon fun with extra bells and whistles weapon wise My main concern was the map and not having a second screen to look at or just tap to launch to another player's location, but the "Press X to display the map, hold a d pad direction and A to jump to said location" system seems to work fine though takes some getting used to. Do miss the simple looking down at the map anytime to see what areas need my team's attention, but it still managed to be fun regardless.

UPDATE

Tried it again today. Zero connection errors whatsoever, big improvement.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Played new Bomberman last night

I was right, it really is s***e, no closing in blocks for the last minute to make the playing filed smaller, its really floaty, no clear idea as to if you are out of the explosions way the BATTLE FIELD OF CHAMPIONS is not the default

At least the revenge carts can be turned off, they are really game breaking

The best ones are still the Saturn (in 8 player with Looies turned off) and 93

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:19 am

Well, after buying it at the midnight launch, then moving house the next day, it was still un-opened yesterday so I sold it to CEX, £300 cash plus £47 for Zelda, so I made £20! Lol.
I will probably get one again in a few months when some more games are out for it, but as i still have work to do on the new house it won't get played yet.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:19 am

We only have 1-2 switch for the kids which predictable you is starting to wear thin. Zelda which will keep us going for months and snipper clips which is a good 2 player game. I genuinely wish the switch well I just wish the processor was a bit beefier.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:26 pm

sscott wrote:I genuinely wish the switch well I just wish the processor was a bit beefier.
For a handheld, it's certainly good enough, if we see it as a successor to the 3DS, the jump from 3DS to Switch is quite dramatic, however if we see it as a successor to the Wii U, a home console, then the jump is almost as small as the jump from GameCube to the Wii was, hardware-wise.

But unlike the Wii (and Wii U for that matter), the Switch has a pretty modern chip inside so a bit reduced ports from other systems should not be that hard to do, although the real seller will be exclusives so what the system needs is more "killer apps" to maintain it's momentum, as well as a steady flow of software, not droughts like the Wii U and some older Nintendo systems suffered from.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:43 am

DPrinny wrote:Played new Bomberman last night

I was right, it really is s***e, no closing in blocks for the last minute to make the playing filed smaller, its really floaty, no clear idea as to if you are out of the explosions way the BATTLE FIELD OF CHAMPIONS is not the default

It does having the closing in blocks.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 am

AceGrace wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Played new Bomberman last night

It does having the closing in blocks.
didnt see the option

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Got a whole load of envious looks while playing mine on the long-haul flight back home 8) certainly made the journey easier!

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:03 am

Despite the consoles very successful launch, still no big game announcements from the major publishers which is odd. Capcom have even ruled out a port of RE7 despite convincing Ninty to beef up the machine's specs specifically so it could run that engine. Maybe we'll hear something at E3.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:23 am

Well, the Switch probably isn't going to get too much attention from the big AAA publishers because it's an underpowered machine that lacks the solid online infrastructure needed for microtransaction support. Custom builds probably aren't going to seem too attractive to publishers looking for relatively easy and commercially viable ports. However, the indie support for it is growing really fast and that's where the best games are imo.
A library consisting of Nintendo first party products and top indie games shouldn't be a disaster.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:37 pm

The Beans wrote:Well, the Switch probably isn't going to get too much attention from the big AAA publishers because it's an underpowered machine that lacks the solid online infrastructure needed for microtransaction support. Custom builds probably aren't going to seem too attractive to publishers looking for relatively easy and commercially viable ports. However, the indie support for it is growing really fast and that's where the best games are imo.
A library consisting of Nintendo first party products and top indie games shouldn't be a disaster.
I still find Capcom's position weird. They make a big deal of convincing Ninty to double the machine's RAM specifically so that it can run the RE7 engine... then decide not to port the game.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:58 pm

killbot wrote: I still find Capcom's position weird. They make a big deal of convincing Ninty to double the machine's RAM specifically so that it can run the RE7 engine... then decide not to port the game.
Doesn't seem weird to me.
During development of the Switch various companies were asked for feedback and concerns were expressed about the available RAM. Capcom said their Resi engine would struggle. Ninty took the feedback and increased the RAM. You're just assuming that would automatically lead to Capcom doing Resi 7 on the Switch but they've been quite open about having nothing of that nature in the pipeline for the Switch. Maybe they'll do it at some point but it's obviously not a priority.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Well, the Resident Evil 2 remake has been in the making for awhile now. Maybe they've scored that as a exclusive (Timed or not) for the Switch like REmake 1 and 4 back in the day...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:47 pm

It's possible that, although Resi 7 itself may not be heading to the Switch, they may have another game for it in mind that would use the same engine.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:37 am

The Beans wrote:Well, the Switch probably isn't going to get too much attention from the big AAA publishers because it's an underpowered machine that lacks the solid online infrastructure needed for microtransaction support. Custom builds probably aren't going to seem too attractive to publishers looking for relatively easy and commercially viable ports. However, the indie support for it is growing really fast and that's where the best games are imo.
That's what I also think. With the Switch you're essentially buying a Nintendo + indie box, and that's not a bad thing. Ports of "AAA" games could still happen, but let's be fair here - they'd either be too watered down or reworked to really turn heads. Although I could see ports of GTA 5, Minecraft, Skyrim, Ass. Creed, Batman, NFS, Fifa, etc running just fine on it.