Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by LAIS » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:53 am

Anyone else having hardware issues? I'm dealing with a few.

Sometimes the joycon becomes unresponsive - if it's not pointing directly at the console (say my leg blocks it off) the controls can go funny. It caused Link to suddenly turn suicidal and run off a tower in BOTW.

I'm getting the left joycon sync issue now and again. It happened to me during a fight in Zelda, and I died.

It's also not connecting to Wifi automatically.

I may just be desperately unlucky, but to me it seems as though this console has been released before it's ready. I hope a firmware update fixes everything but I'm hugely concerned that the hardware itself is the issue and some of these issues can't be fixed so easily.

I'm seriously tempted just to get rid of the console.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:30 am

LAIS wrote:Anyone else having hardware issues? I'm dealing with a few.

Sometimes the joycon becomes unresponsive - if it's not pointing directly at the console (say my leg blocks it off) the controls can go funny. It caused Link to suddenly turn suicidal and run off a tower in BOTW.

I'm getting the left joycon sync issue now and again. It happened to me during a fight in Zelda, and I died.

I may just be desperately unlucky, but to me it seems as though this console has been released before it's ready. I hope a firmware update fixes everything but I'm hugely concerned that the hardware itself is the issue and some of these issues can't be fixed so easily.

Yeah, there's teething troubles. Plenty of people are reporting various issues but it doesn't seem to be a majority of owners. The Xbox One and PS4 had their own launch issues too. It's part and parcel of early adoption these days. Your Switch should still be under warranty so at least you've got the option of exchanging it for one that might be less troublesome before you bin the console outright.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 am

The Beans wrote:
LAIS wrote:Anyone else having hardware issues? I'm dealing with a few.

Yeah, there's teething troubles. Plenty of people are reporting various issues but it doesn't seem to be a majority of owners. The Xbox One and PS4 had their own launch issues too. It's part and parcel of early adoption these days. Your Switch should still be under warranty so at least you've got the option of exchanging it for one that might be less troublesome before you bin the console outright.
On the plus side, being just the controller at issue (from what internet investigations suggest) a fix for this should only mean sending the left joycon back if it is a hardware issue. Better than sending the whole console back and losing all of your save data.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Was looking at the upcoming Mario game vid, that looks very cool.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 am

I've had one error message crash and one incidence of the unit freezing and not responding to anything.

I read on a PSP/Vita group one guy ridiculing the tiny Switch D pad, claiming it was the worst design he'd ever seen. We had to tell him he was looking at the Plus button :lol:

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:56 pm

The Splatoon 2 Global Testfire begins on Friday with multiple sessions on Saturday and Sunday too. The demo's available to download now.

Anyone going to take part? Not sure about the Friday but I'll try for Saturday.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 am

botw almost dies on switch if you enter the lost forest (town area), which is really strange considering its a closed off area. The amount of times ive gotta stuck inside of invisible trees is silly.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 am

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:20 pm

A Seiken Densetso Collection (Secret of Mana) is coming to the Switch.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... ndo_switch
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:00 pm

For those who care about tech - the Switch uses a regular Nvidia Tegra X1 chip:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2463 ... -processor

The tech-freak in me says it were better if they went for a more capable mobile chip so that they would have better attracted "AAA" devs or that they should have went with a standard, compact home console without any extra screens but capable internals (something like a Pascal GTX 1050 Ti paired with Intel Atom quad core, 8 gigs of XDR2 RAM and 64 gigs of upgradable flash storage) as such a system would have ran the new Zelda in 1080p@60fps and good AA and AF with ease instead of the current 720p@30fps with framerate drops, but doing so would also make them much more like the competition and the unique handheld/console "hybrid" would not have been a thing.

Anyway, the Tegra X1 is capable enough to host a bit toned down ports from other systems, and if Nintendo intend to support it well without dropping a new "proper" handheld soon, it should have a very good line-up of games from Nintendo themselves as well as several 3rd parties.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Snipper clips has been awesome! Great 2 player game!

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Can Nintendo keep the sales momentum going with sparse new games over the next couple of months! Momentum is key after the Nintendo Faithfull have already splashed out the cash.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:54 pm

^Only if the scalpers can keep on scalping them

Still

Ir has more exclusive games coming out for it than the Xbox one has

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:04 pm

sscott wrote:Can Nintendo keep the sales momentum going with sparse new games over the next couple of months! Momentum is key after the Nintendo Faithfull have already splashed out the cash.
this is where I foresee problems in the short term. I noticed this earlier although I am not entirely sure how good an indicator this is? aren't gamestop the us equivalent of our "game"?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2944 ... ost_11.php
GameStop COO Tony Bartel told investors today that the company is seeing "incredibly strong" demand for Nintendo's newly-released Switch console, in the process sharing some notable (if vague) data the company has about how well Switch games are selling in relation to the hardware.

"The demand is incredibly strong for this. As soon as we get it into our stores, it’s out within hours. So we anticipate we’re going to be chasing supply this entire year," Bartel said of Nintendo's new hardware.

"The other thing is, every game that’s out there, to have over a five and a half attach rate to this, signifies that a lot of people are finding this a great platform and they’re picking up any games that they can. I mean, we have almost a one-to-one attach of Zelda.”

Bartel was responding to a question a shareholder actually put to GameStop CEO Paul Raines about why Raines had described the Switch as having "potential to be Wii-like" during an earnings report that showed sales of new game hardware at GameStop dropped nearly 30 percent in its 2016 fiscal year.

His comments suggest Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is seeing brisk sales on Switch. Moreover, that general 5.5 attach rate figure suggests more than just Zelda is selling well in relation to Switch consoles, though it's unclear if the figure Bartel is quoting is the attach rate for Switch games and accessories or just games alone. [Update: the 5.5 attach rate figure does include both software and accessories.]

If it includes accessories it's a bit less impressive, especially since the Switch went on sale alongside optional accessories like additional controllers, controller docks (both powered and unpowered) and a separate, "Pro" controller.
but keeping momentum during sparse periods is key, a strong e3 would be a great way for them to bridge any possible drop off from interest in the switch as its sort of in the middle of the launch and mario.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:02 pm

a 1:1 attach rate for Zelda just reinforces there's not much else worth looking at yet. I want to like the Switch, but it doesn't have the games for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.