Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: Nintendo NX Reveal Coming Tomorrow!

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:15 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I love the idea of a handheld that becomes more powerful when it's plugged into a docking station for TV use.
Does it actually do this? It has a dock, but is it giving it more grunt to shove out a higher res display for the TV, or is it just extra storage, charger and HDMO out (even if it has extra storage at all)?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:17 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I love the idea of a handheld that becomes more powerful when it's plugged into a docking station for TV use.
Does it actually do this? It has a dock, but is it giving it more grunt to shove out a higher res display for the TV, or is it just extra storage, charger and HDMO out (even if it has extra storage at all)?
I'm sure ive seen it confirmed somewhere. Skyrim seemed to look better on the big tv

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:34 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
I'm sure ive seen it confirmed somewhere. Skyrim seemed to look better on the big tv
I'd bear in mind that anything you see in the video is almost certainly a bullshot.

That said, there are plenty of rumours floating around that the tablet will be 900p, while the TV picture is 1080p. Whether that's down to scaling or extra processing power is descending even further into conjecture though.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:59 am

killbot wrote:An interesting point made over on Huffington Post; the melding of Nintendo's two markets (handheld and home) means that for the first time since 1989 all Nintendo's internal teams are working on the same console. Part of the reason we had to wait so long between AAA releases on Wii U is that many teams were developing 3DS titles, now that won't happen. Which theoretically means there will be many, many more first-party games released for Switch.

Personally I wonder if that drive to stop dividing teams was behind the decision to launch a hybrid system in the first place, because it's really hurt Nintendo this gen (not so much in previous generations where Nintendo could rely on third-parties to take up some of the slack).
That is an interesting point IMO. If they can produce some stunner titles for it, and if their teams are all totally focussed on this...well, games make the system and that is what will shift units.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:23 pm

General Opulence wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Looking forward to it. Yes there are plenty of pitfalls and I'm not too sure on those tiny controls,but I love the idea of a handheld that becomes more powerful when it's plugged into a docking station for TV use. Nintendo still has strong presence in the handheld department, so it kind of makes sense to retreat (in a way) to it. The support is strong, but then, it was strong at Wii U, so it's not surprising that people have got skepticism towards it.

It's a new Nintendo console and they still make the best games out of the three publishers, so I'm getting one :)
Has that actually been confirmed? All I've heard is it gets an extra 2gb ram when plugged in for higher res texture for 1080p (4gb vs 6gb) there's no extra cpu or gpu in the base unit, that was just rumours from a while back.

Btw I'm not alone in the not impressed boat, Nintendo investors agree with the share price falling by a whopping 7% after the announcement.
I would wager that the share price drop was more to do with the lack of game announcements. Don't forget that it actually rose by 5% before the announcement as well. So very little in the way of difference.

Cautiously optimistic myself. I like what i see and can see why Nintendo are taking this route and seeing Epic Games show support with Unreal Engine may satisfy a lot of the third party complainers however i don't want to leap out of my seat yet.

Mind you, if it released for £200-£250 with a game, (and that is very doable) Then i could see them doing really well with it.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:31 pm

When is the next Nintendo Direct? Does anyone know?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:53 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:When is the next Nintendo Direct? Does anyone know?
Wall Street Journal have reported there'll be no further official announcements about games or specs this year.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:24 pm

January 5-8 2017 is the CES show in Vegas so maybe it could be shown there with a direct around that time?
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Nintendo has said no more details till 2017. It did however confirm a few more things after the reveal.

*The obvious one, physical Wii U and 3DS games are not compatible with the system, as the carts are much thinker then 3DS ones.

*"Famitsu also asked about what would be contained in the box, and was told that it would include the console, the Joy Con and its detachable controllers. No mention of the dock was made - which is odd, given that Nintendo is positioning this as a home system first and foremost - but it was added that full details will be revealed at a later date, so that could be subject to change. Battery life was the final big question, and Nintendo didn't give much away, only stating that the system's stamina will allow people to play "comfortably" away from a plug socket."

*They won't confirm whether the screen is a touch screen or not.

*It will support amiibo

I'd like to hope maybe Nintendo has something else it's chosen not to reveal yet. I mean they did reveal the Wii with the console first, then the controller and name at a later date then after that the Home Menu which was fairly new-ish at the time....
Last edited by ALK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 pm

They're probably still deciding on what they're going to pack in. We may well get a basic (budget) pack and premium pack again, like we did with Wii U.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:29 pm

JamesC wrote:They're probably still deciding on what they're going to pack in. We may well get a basic (budget) pack and premium pack again, like we did with Wii U.
Hopefully, I'd take a cheaper pack without the handheld and horrible controller, give me the pro controller anyday!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Interesting mixed reactions so far, looks like it's already a divisive system... :wink:

It deff. looks slick and elegant, quite far removed from the clumsy and awkward-looking Wii U. The hardware power rumours seem adequate, for a portable system, they're very good. 3rd parties so far seem to be impressed and/or supportive of it, but we will see how this will pan out on the long run. The real question here is, can they fill a sizable niche. This is obviously not going head to head against the more capable home systems, but it should be appealing to those who are a lot on the move but still want to game. The real competition will be with other portable systems which will likely advertise non-gaming features over it. One good thing about this system is that it's a "all in one", meaning that it will receive a steady support of Nintendo's own software as well as 3rd party stuff. There probably won't be another system from them soon, but if this doesn't sell that well they always got "plan B" (aka 4DS). Hardcore Nintendo fans seem to be impressed so that's atleast 10+ million units sold. How it'll resonate with the mainstream masses comes down to things like marketing, pricing and software support, as well as a little luck that is required to make systems seem "cool" or generally likable.

ant512

Post by ant512 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:22 am

ALK wrote:*They won't confirm whether the screen is a touch screen or not.
I don't see how it could be a touch screen without severely compromising the experience when the tablet is connected to a TV. Unless your TV is also a massive touch screen.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:58 am

I really like it. It ain't groundbreaking, but it's a cool design. And it's cart based which I like. Time will tell, and the proof will be in the titles. It'll be the games that will decide it for me. And of course pricepoint. Get those right and it could easily be manys 'second system' option :)

William S

Post by William S » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:01 am

Megamixer wrote:the return of EA?
Yeah, they're back.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/1 ... ndo_switch
ImageImageImage