Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

killbot

Re: Nintendo NX Reveal Coming Tomorrow!

Post by killbot » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:26 pm

An interesting point made over on Huffington Post; the melding of Nintendo's two markets (handheld and home) means that for the first time since 1989 all Nintendo's internal teams are working on the same console. Part of the reason we had to wait so long between AAA releases on Wii U is that many teams were developing 3DS titles, now that won't happen. Which theoretically means there will be many, many more first-party games released for Switch.

Personally I wonder if that drive to stop dividing teams was behind the decision to launch a hybrid system in the first place, because it's really hurt Nintendo this gen (not so much in previous generations where Nintendo could rely on third-parties to take up some of the slack).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:59 am

Elsewhere, Nvidia have finally confirmed that it's a custom Tegra chip that's being used:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/2 ... do-switch/

So, yeah, I pretty much called it eighteen months back. Smug mode. :D

I'd still have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the design of it though, so I can see why they held off until this late to make the reveal. Having the controller shell that the sides of the handheld slot into seems a nice touch, that nobody predicted, and whether the dock merely charges the unit and acts as an HDMI interface - or there's extra processing power built into it for TV visuals - remains a bit of a mystery.

As for the games, the prospect of having an entire generation's worth of Nintendo's output on a single platform is enough to sell it to me, but it would be nice to see a bit more success in courting third parties than they've had of late. Running on hardware that supports all the major cross-platform engines at launch would appear to put things on a much better footing than the Wii U, and even the 3DS, had but whether it'll be in the scope of AAA developers currently working for a PS4/XB1 paradigm remains to be seen. Even if it does get supported, it's going to be the ugly duckling next to the PS4 Pro and the XBox Scorpio, but then again you can play your games on the hop so it's not without a selling point.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:55 am

Sounded a bit nob in this topic but looks neat in the video. Wonder if its region locked. 5 months to save up.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:48 am

I love the way some people are making cast iron judgements based on a 3 minute video which is clearly designed to show the concept.

Me? I'm interested. The concept looks interesting, and the option to be playing a game on my TV (say, Zelda for example) and to then be able to just pick it up and carry on during my commute, or when I'm travelling? Yeah, that sounds good.

And I bet if Nintendo had unveiled a machine which seemed to be on a par with the Xbox One Scorpio, then people would have been complaining that they had made "just a generic console". Whicher route, someone would have been moaning about it.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I don't think it warrants comparison with the WiiU, since that is tied to the house. This is much more in the handheld gaming market where they've always triumphed. Its a handheld with the option of TV play, much like we've had since the PSP.
Yeah, that's the way I see it as well. Could be interesting, need to know more so will watch this space :)

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:29 am

Let's turn the tables on this shall we?, a device that showcased over a year ago and to be honest appeals more to me than the Ninvidia Switch, ohh sorry I mean the Nintendo switch. ..it seems Nintendo weren't to only company looking into doing the wireless detachible controller setup and my guess copied this idea from this company, I present the Morphus X300, more than just a gaming tablet, chk this sh*t out

http://www.aikun.co/index.php?ac=articl ... st&tid=114

And doesn't use a AA batteries for all components either, I believe Nintendo have managed to build a console that is historically obsolete before it is even released, but will look good as a museum exhibit right now. I wonder if they'll sell official Nintendo dust you can sprinkle over it to give the impression that you've forgotten about it before you've bought one. The gaming tablet world has grown up over the last few years and can't see this been anything other than outdated, sure you'll get your Mario games and zelda games of tried and tested gaming play formula that dates back to the snes days with very little in the way of innovation but will charge you big money for it..I hate to say it, but this is going to go the way of the WiiU where people won't know what it is or what to make of it?
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:36 am

Wow, some people learned a lot from a 3 minute trailer - I must bow down to your knowledge :lol:

I'm joking, of course.

My two cents - I'm primarily a portable gamer, so love the idea of the next Nintendo being handheld. I didn't go for the WiiU, mainly because I didn't have the cash and I still have a sh*t tonne of Wii games to play.

I think the actual hardware looks pretty ace.

My first thoughts are - I will buy one. I need to see more of it obviously, but as it stands I'm on a collision course with the Switch next March. This could be my first release purchase since the Gamecube. Roll on 2017!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:08 am

Personally I was quite underwhelmed in a cautious way that ive been burnt by nintendo far too often. The constant re re releases of different versions of the same console/handheld is top of my irritant list. Ds, Ds colours, Ds Xl, 2Ds, 3Ds, 3DsXl..etc.
I bought a wii u but have rarely used it. Not many -if any- titles released lately have interested me, the store is an overpriced mess of a store,no discounts or sales well if you bought mario kart64 on the wii you can have it on wiiu for a reduced price!! so basically pay to play games on every different nintendo console, far too much focus on amiibo thingys and skylander that are just clutter really.

The console itself again concerns me with the constant removing or clicking into place of controllers or other peripherals, what if the connections wear or fail to connect over time. Im not a fan of remote gaming as with the vita and wiiu there is a definite second difference between what is shown on the pad and what is shown on your tv. The lag i find is game breaking whereby its only people that are watching you play that benefit, i look at the pad to play rather than the tv, but i want to look at the tv not the pad.

So for me regardless of zelda or mario hype, ill skip this console thingy, stung by the past to really bother.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:43 am

Greyfox wrote:Let's turn the tables on this shall we?, a device that showcased over a year ago and to be honest appeals more to me than the Ninvidia Switch, ohh sorry I mean the Nintendo switch. ..it seems Nintendo weren't to only company looking into doing the wireless detachible controller setup and my guess copied this idea from this company, I present the Morphus X300, more than just a gaming tablet, chk this sh*t out

http://www.aikun.co/index.php?ac=articl ... st&tid=114

And doesn't use a AA batteries for all components either, I believe Nintendo have managed to build a console that is historically obsolete before it is even released, but will look good as a museum exhibit right now. I wonder if they'll sell official Nintendo dust you can sprinkle over it to give the impression that you've forgotten about it before you've bought one. The gaming tablet world has grown up over the last few years and can't see this been anything other than outdated, sure you'll get your Mario games and zelda games of tried and tested gaming play formula that dates back to the snes days with very little in the way of innovation but will charge you big money for it..I hate to say it, but this is going to go the way of the WiiU where people won't know what it is or what to make of it?
Removable controllers certainly aren't new. The Razer Edge Pro and WikiPad both did that years ago. They're both largely forgotten because they tried to piggyback other platforms though - Windows and Android respectively - and saw little in the way of games development tailored towards their unique capabilities; I expect that the X300 will suffer the same fate, and good luck especially finding something that'll use the 3D screen these days.

It's worth remembering at this stage that Nintendo never do anything first. You might as well have pronounced the DS dead at launch because the Palm Pilot existed, or the Wii because the EyeToy already allowed motion control games. Rather, it's all about doing it in a fashion that's more accessible and fun. And indeed, the main reason Android tablets come with detachable controls is that for 90% of the best games you don't need them and they're dead weight. They're certainly not so you can use them while it's plugged into the TV, as you're usually far too busy looking at the touch screen while you play to watch them that way. So, on that point at least, I'd think that Nintendo appear to have scored a design win here. It's a long and twisty road ahead for them before they've got a successful platform out of this though, and that's really going to depend on the quality of the games they can come up with, as well as their ability in keeping other big developers interested in it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:52 am

c0nfu53d wrote:Sounded a bit nob in this topic but looks neat in the video. Wonder if its region locked. 5 months to save up.
Early indications show not! Let's hope those are true...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:58 am

If they could show that one of the controllers, when detached, acts as a screen pointer, and there's an equivalent touch-screen feature on the portable system, then there might be some hope for it. But then I don't think they're that bright.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:32 am

I was prepared to dislike it but the reveal trailer left me REALLY impressed. Sleek & sexy looking piece of kit which seems to place a real emphasis on local multiplayer.

As someone that mostly plays on portable systems (even when at home) this is right up my alley. Assuming it launches sub-£300 with a decent range of titles, I'll be picking one up on day one.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:57 am

Looking forward to it. Yes there are plenty of pitfalls and I'm not too sure on those tiny controls,but I love the idea of a handheld that becomes more powerful when it's plugged into a docking station for TV use. Nintendo still has strong presence in the handheld department, so it kind of makes sense to retreat (in a way) to it. The support is strong, but then, it was strong at Wii U, so it's not surprising that people have got skepticism towards it.

It's a new Nintendo console and they still make the best games out of the three publishers, so I'm getting one :)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:00 am

I think given Nintendo's history, it would be foolish to write them off as many have pointed out. For every relative failure, like the Wii U, they still have some pretty big recent success stories such as Pokemon Go and the 3DS. I think, and hope, Nintendo will have learned from the mistakes of the Wii-U and bounce back with something fairly fresh and appealing with the Nintendo Switch. It won't appeal to everyone on here, but I'm going to give it a chance before I judge it - I won't be a day one-r, but will definitely be keeping a close eye on it.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:15 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Looking forward to it. Yes there are plenty of pitfalls and I'm not too sure on those tiny controls,but I love the idea of a handheld that becomes more powerful when it's plugged into a docking station for TV use. Nintendo still has strong presence in the handheld department, so it kind of makes sense to retreat (in a way) to it. The support is strong, but then, it was strong at Wii U, so it's not surprising that people have got skepticism towards it.

It's a new Nintendo console and they still make the best games out of the three publishers, so I'm getting one :)
Has that actually been confirmed? All I've heard is it gets an extra 2gb ram when plugged in for higher res texture for 1080p (4gb vs 6gb) there's no extra cpu or gpu in the base unit, that was just rumours from a while back.

Btw I'm not alone in the not impressed boat, Nintendo investors agree with the share price falling by a whopping 7% after the announcement.
Last edited by General Opulence on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.