Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

samhain81

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:03 pm

ALK wrote:Wii U already ditched the Friend Codes. I doubt they'll go back. :lol:
Whoops. Swear they had them. Shows how much I played Wii U Online. Don't think I've ever added a friend if that's the case :lol:

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:28 pm

I've got most of the Wii U first party games so the software lineup isn't exciting, and £280 is overpriced, so I won't bother till Black Friday 2017 or later.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:42 pm

samhain81 wrote:
ALK wrote:Wii U already ditched the Friend Codes. I doubt they'll go back. :lol:
Whoops. Swear they had them. Shows how much I played Wii U Online. Don't think I've ever added a friend if that's the case :lol:
Yeah, I guess the confusion comes with the 3DS which kept the Friend Codes (Released before Wii U) except having just 1 master FC instead of 1 for every game like on Wii. Shows what some of us were playing more.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm

ALK wrote:
samhain81 wrote:
Yeah, I guess the confusion comes with the 3DS which kept the Friend Codes (Released before Wii U) except having just 1 master FC instead of 1 for every game like on Wii. Shows what some of us were playing more.... :lol:
Can confirm I was definitely playing the 3DS more at that time.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:43 pm

DPrinny wrote:^Nintendo will probably meet demand on them, as there might not be a huge one
kiwimike wrote:
DPrinny wrote:I wait till bundru

Might get a WiiU
I'd still love a WiiU if I could find one cheap enough. There's a lot of great games I'd be keen to put a few months into. Nintendo consoles tend to hold their price though.
Look on ebay, can get the black one with a few games for around £150, people now will be getting rid
Yeah, will deffo keep an eye on the second hand market for a bulk lot with the games I'm keen on included, or at least most of the games then hunt out a couple of titles seperate

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:49 am

Wait, are people really swallowing the insane use of mobile for voice chat? It just seems utterly bonkers to me.

Blah, blah, think of the children

What are parental controls? What are mute buttons? What are chat parties?

As a supplementary option it actually sounds very nice, but not as the only way to have voice chat.

Also if it comes to that, I think I'd just use Discord, I've met people for Overwatch and SFV through it and it works great.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:20 am

Ive never picked up a console at launch. I've pre-ordered the switch, based purely on the fun I've had (am having) with the wii-U.

But I'm underwhelmed. The launch games are very disappointing. Zelda looks impressive and I'm sure will be a good game. The rest? Nothing of particularly interest, sure Mario Kart 8 deluxe will be great fun, but its only a patch different to the wiiu version, from what I've seen. ARMS and 1 2 switch look terrible.

32GB on board, of which Zelda will account for 40% if you download, although the SD cards are cheap enough.

The cost is about what I expected, but more than I'd hoped. The weak pound, I presume, hasn't helped here and is probably a sign of things to come, as it looks like the pound is set to remain at this level for some time.

The accessories are ridiculously priced. I pre-ordered a pro controller and the red and blue controllers... £130.

I want the switch to be fantastic, but it looks short of that and I fear this will be Nintendo's final console, if it performs like the wiiU.

But, hey, let be upbeat.... time for it to get better yet.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:33 am

As Nintendo phases out the 3DS over the next year or so I expect we'll see more games announced regularly. The big advantage of the Switch is that it removes the need for Nintendo to divide its teams between two formats, So although the launch line-up isn't all it could be I'm not anticipating the lengthy droughts the Wii U went through after launch. The first year will bring us Mario, Zelda, Skyrim, ARMS, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Xenoblade, Shin Megami Tensai, Bomberman, Sonic and that new Square RPG which looks great. Plus Just Dance and 1-2-Switch which look fun if you like your party games. And that's only what's been announced; EA, Activision and Ubisoft haven't made a formal announcement yet but it looks like they're all bringing at least some of their big hitters to Switch.

So while it maybe isn't the greatest launch window ever it's definitely an improvement on Wii U's first year, and as I say I expect more announcements as internal teams finish whatever 3DS games they're working on and start moving over.

What I'm pleased about is that those who've had a hands-on with it have said it is in roughly the PS4/Xbone bracket grunt-wise, which is good. I'd be a lot less happy paying 280 quid if it was a very slightly beefed up Wii U.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:41 am

Switch won't have Miiverse or Streetpass.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... streetpass

Well, there goes my only reason to take the system out with me, except maybe to show to the odd friend. I thought Streetpass was a nice feature on 3DS and a good reason for me to return to my older games to do a bit more to that 100% completion.

Miiverse, it was good at the start but has pretty much dropped dead lately. I'll check if there's a notification but I don't post all that often anymore. Guess it will always be remembered in history for "Why can't Metroid crawl?".... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:48 am

killbot wrote:As Nintendo phases out the 3DS over the next year or so I expect we'll see more games announced regularly. The big advantage of the Switch is that it removes the need for Nintendo to divide its teams between two formats, So although the launch line-up isn't all it could be I'm not anticipating the lengthy droughts the Wii U went through after launch. The first year will bring us Mario, Zelda, Skyrim, ARMS, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Xenoblade, Shin Megami Tensai, Bomberman, Sonic and that new Square RPG which looks great. Plus Just Dance and 1-2-Switch which look fun if you like your party games. And that's only what's been announced; EA, Activision and Ubisoft haven't made a formal announcement yet but it looks like they're all bringing at least some of their big hitters to Switch.

So while it maybe isn't the greatest launch window ever it's definitely an improvement on Wii U's first year, and as I say I expect more announcements as internal teams finish whatever 3DS games they're working on and start moving over.

What I'm pleased about is that those who've had a hands-on with it have said it is in roughly the PS4/Xbone bracket grunt-wise, which is good. I'd be a lot less happy paying 280 quid if it was a very slightly beefed up Wii U.
Again, I think they'll save something for E3. Sure there'll be updates for existing games like Mario, but I'm sure they're also looking at the feedback from the presentation at least about the lack of diverse titles. A port of Smash Bros 4 was one of the heavily rumored games as well as a 3rd version of Pokemon Sun/Moon. I'll be surprised if the Smash port didnt show up for a release this year down the line (Which yeah, another port but one I think they need right now.)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 am

killbot wrote: What I'm pleased about is that those who've had a hands-on with it have said it is in roughly the PS4/Xbone bracket grunt-wise, which is good. I'd be a lot less happy paying 280 quid if it was a very slightly beefed up Wii U.
Well, it's not quite PS4 level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzIZWO1qdg

But having a pretty modern Nvidia chip there, it's a lot more advanced than the Wii U and supportive of modern APIs like Vulkan and Direct X 12 (which it won't be using, unless Nintendo's willing to pay MS to use it). Combined with the docked mode and Nvidia's own low-level API, I do believe they will be able to push it pretty well and provide Uncharted 4 level games, with a few cuts in the resolution and finer details.

What I wonder is if Sony will give the portable market another shot too. After the commercial underperformance of the Vita, I kind of doubt it, but you never know.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:32 am

slacey1070 wrote: But I'm underwhelmed. The launch games are very disappointing. Zelda looks impressive and I'm sure will be a good game. The rest? Nothing of particularly interest, sure Mario Kart 8 deluxe will be great fun, but its only a patch different to the wiiu version, from what I've seen. ARMS and 1 2 switch look terrible.
Arms is another game that should be a budget one, play for a bit then shelf

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 am

So, the "free" monthly NES or SNES game you get as part of the online service has apparently been confirmed. You play it free for a month and then it's gone ... unless you choose to buy it outright.

Next rumour up for scrutiny is having to pay for the voicechat app once the free online ends and the premium service starts.

Great days.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:51 am

ALK wrote: Guess it will always be remembered in history for "Why can't Metroid crawl?".... :lol:
I found the lack of Metroid disturbing... :wink:

They really have to bring it back now, it's long overdue and fans have been waiting (in)patiently for years. F-Zero, Wave Race, EarthBound and Eternal Darkness should also happen, if they want to please their long time fans and maybe get some new audiences on board too.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:53 am

DPrinny wrote:
slacey1070 wrote: But I'm underwhelmed. The launch games are very disappointing. Zelda looks impressive and I'm sure will be a good game. The rest? Nothing of particularly interest, sure Mario Kart 8 deluxe will be great fun, but its only a patch different to the wiiu version, from what I've seen. ARMS and 1 2 switch look terrible.
Arms is another game that should be a budget one, play for a bit then shelf
I thought it looked pretty decent. Okay, more motion controls but its another new IP at least. Suppose it'll depend what modes the game will have to offer (Story, challenges, etc.) to last awhile but there's an online multiplayer at least.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.