Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15049
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:38 pm

I got a Switch Lite at Christmas so I can finally join in. Original and exclusive games aside, I was surprised at how many remakes and ports of stuff had completely passed me by. Usually I'm not one for (gaming) sloppy seconds but some, such as NMH 1+2, are mighty tempting.

So far I've just got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I played this to death on the Wii-U to be fair so it's very familiar, but I'm impressed with how it looks/performs on the Switch, and I prefer having it on a handheld anyway. Having quite a lot of fun with it. Definitely the best Mario Kart since MKDS imo, probably better.

I'll have a look at what to get next once I'm done with Final Fantasy 8 HD Remaster over on the PS4 as that's commanding my attention for now.

Does anybody know if the first part of the NMH remakes include the extra stuff that was thrown into Heroes Paradise on the PS3? I seem to remember that version was 'uncut' after the Wii original.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
TheAlex
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by TheAlex » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:05 pm

I'm really getting into Full Metal Furies (£5 in the e-shop sale) - it's a superb action RPG with a depth I didn't realise it had at first. It's got to be the best co-op RPG I've played since Secret of Mana in the 90s and seems to be a bit of a hidden gem (single player doesn't lose anything). I like the 16-bit style too.

I'm a big Contra (especially Super Probotector) fan, and it scratches that itch too, in terms of action and difficulty, though there is an easier mode.

It also has humour that actually makes me laugh on a regular basis and although it's cheesy and meta at times, it doesn't feel forced like some games, such as Golf Story. It also avoids the kind of long cut scenes that annoyed me on Golf Story - the most recent RPG I played before Full Metal Furies.

I did like Golf Story. The closest equivalent I can think of to Full Metal Furies is Castle Crashers, and I prefer Full Metal Furies:
https://www.igdb.com/games/full-metal-furies

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5531
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:38 pm
Does anybody know if the first part of the NMH remakes include the extra stuff that was thrown into Heroes Paradise on the PS3? I seem to remember that version was 'uncut' after the Wii original.
It's a remake based on the North American Wii version. Only the European and Japanese releases were censored.

You're getting most of the extras in Heroes Paradise that mattered, such as the HD graphics and Japanese language support, but you're obviously not getting the boss fights from NMH2 as that's getting a separate release.

Sadly, it's also got one of the down sides of Heroes Paradise in that the song "Heavenly Star" by Genki Rockets has been left out. I can only guess that they negotiated a one-off deal at the time and the price suddenly went up when they got around to porting it.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15049
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:02 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:38 pm
Does anybody know if the first part of the NMH remakes include the extra stuff that was thrown into Heroes Paradise on the PS3? I seem to remember that version was 'uncut' after the Wii original.
It's a remake based on the North American Wii version. Only the European and Japanese releases were censored.

You're getting most of the extras in Heroes Paradise that mattered, such as the HD graphics and Japanese language support, but you're obviously not getting the boss fights from NMH2 as that's getting a separate release.

Sadly, it's also got one of the down sides of Heroes Paradise in that the song "Heavenly Star" by Genki Rockets has been left out. I can only guess that they negotiated a one-off deal at the time and the price suddenly went up when they got around to porting it.
The bosses being left out don't really bother me to be fair. Does the Switch version have the Very Sweet Mode though? I've tried searching it but can only find discussion on the game's technical performance and the Genki Rockets issue.

Just wondering because I was considering getting the ports and chopping in my older editions since Heroes' Paradise is a £50 used game on ebay. But if they still have exclusive bits then I might at least hold onto Heroes' Paradise...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5531
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 pm
The bosses being left out don't really bother me to be fair. Does the Switch version have the Very Sweet Mode though? I've tried searching it but can only find discussion on the game's technical performance and the Genki Rockets issue.

Just wondering because I was considering getting the ports and chopping in my older editions since Heroes' Paradise is a £50 used game on ebay. But if they still have exclusive bits then I might at least hold onto Heroes' Paradise...
No, there's no Very Sweet Mode.

Like I said, they went back to the North American Wii version and enhanced things from there. That does leave Heroes Paradise out on a limb, so it'll remain very collectable.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15049
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:46 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 pm
The bosses being left out don't really bother me to be fair. Does the Switch version have the Very Sweet Mode though? I've tried searching it but can only find discussion on the game's technical performance and the Genki Rockets issue.

Just wondering because I was considering getting the ports and chopping in my older editions since Heroes' Paradise is a £50 used game on ebay. But if they still have exclusive bits then I might at least hold onto Heroes' Paradise...
No, there's no Very Sweet Mode.

Like I said, they went back to the North American Wii version and enhanced things from there. That does leave Heroes Paradise out on a limb, so it'll remain very collectable.
Cheers. I'll keep hold of Heroes' Paradise then. For it's various issues, it sounds like it will still be worth revisiting in the future. I'm a big enough NMH fan to allocate a shelf space for the PS3 edition :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty
Posts: 5627
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:30 pm

Bowser's Fury looks great, with a more open Odyssey style gameplay by the look of today's trailer. Will be double dipping on this one.

Also, a Mario themed blue and red Switch announced.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25262
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by DPrinny » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:50 pm

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/ ... _to_switch

SNK vs Capcom coming to Switch

The NeoGeo Pocket one.
Its is one of the best games on it, the Olympic mode is great
6 mini games based on various other franchises, Ghost trip is probably the best of the bunch

pratty
Posts: 5627
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:34 am

New Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow. Will be 50 minutes focused on existing releases and games to be released in the first half of the year.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5531
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:33 pm

I picked up Urban Flow in the sale. It's one of those multi-tasking games where you've got to manage the traffic lights at an increasingly crazy set of intersections. It starts off easy and gradually ramps up to sheer maddening levels. There's co-op multiplayer that makes the late game go a bit more smoothly though.

It's a nice game for a couple of dollars even if I probably wouldn't have even looked at it at full price. It's all quite reminiscent of what good tablet games used to be like before everything when down the microtransaction toilet.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25262
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by DPrinny » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Another sword user in Smash.............
A few other things
Mario golf something, its a new one, no you don't use the Switch as a club

Ninja Gaiden smegma collection
Samurai warriors 5?????????????????????
I didnt know they made a 3 and 4
Fall guys months after people have moved back to Fortnite
Hyrule Warriors AOC DLC
EA Battle royal (I aint making this up, maybe the name)
Apex Legends
Star wars hunters
Skyward Sword HD, I look forward to cursing the w**k sword controls, wishing the sky had more stuff in it and fighting the same boss several times again.

Splatoon 3, did enjoy 2, but got annoying when you had teams that where s**t

pratty
Posts: 5627
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:03 pm

I'm pleased with the Direct, loved the Smash trailer

I reckon I'll pick up 4 or 5 of the titles mentioned, especially Mario Golf and Skyward Sword, I'll be having those Zelda Joycons aswell. 8)

Glad I held off buying Hades digitally, will probably pick up the physical release.

The year is starting to look pretty stacked and Nintendo definitely have more up their sleeves. :)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25262
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by DPrinny » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:05 pm

pratty wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:03 pm
I'm pleased with the Direct, loved the Smash trailer

I reckon I'll pick up 4 or 5 of the titles mentioned, especially Mario Golf and Skyward Sword, I'll be having those Zelda Joycons aswell. 8)

Glad I held off buying Hades digitally, will probably pick up the physical release.

The year is starting to look pretty stacked and Nintendo definitely have more up their sleeves. :)
Only Mario golf and Splatoon 3 are of interest to me

choastgaming
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:33 am

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by choastgaming » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:44 am

I love what Nintendo brought to the table with the switch! The games they have released are epic and I love how they are brining back the classics! The mario all stars 3-in-1 is such a bombbbb trilogy!

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25262
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by DPrinny » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:58 pm

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/ ... _the_eshop

Blizzard arcade collection
The Lost Vikings, Rock N Roll Racing, and Blackthorne.
Bit steep for just three games

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests