Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

srj672

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by srj672 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:46 am

Just discovered the delights of online Mario Kart play. With friends though, playing against random opponents means I get destroyed by a hail of fireballs, shells and so on.

Any other quality multiplayer games out there?

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:38 am

Online or local?

Either way Smash Bros is the obvious one that springs to mind.

Splatoon 2 is great fun online. Maybe Mario Tennis for local multiplayer.

Overcooked is meant to be very good but I've not played it myself.

Monster Hunter Generations has online co-op.

Luigi's Mansion 3 has some multiplayer stuff but I've not looked into it.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:28 pm

Bomerman, its not the best version (93, Saturn), but its the best modern one, 8 player local.
Smash Brothers, its not a great game, its a good party game

srj672

Post by srj672 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 am

Just hope Nintendo see sense and bring out a version of Zelda Four Swords

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:10 pm

Some of my favourites so far on the Switch are multiplayer (local as I don't have online). Here are my early impressions of what I've played, single and multiplayer (favourites in bold):

Breath of the Wild - 9.5/10 - Wow.

Cadence of Hyrule - 6 - I just can't get into this.

Conduct Together - 8 - Crazy and difficult local multiplayer fun that cost <£1.

CrisTales - 7.5 - Played through the demo. A bit frustrating at times but looks intriguing. A great art-style.

Death Squared - 9.5 - I haven't played it single, but the local co-op is outstanding - perhaps the best I've played. Try and play it without communicating for ultimate difficulty, otherwise you'll need to talk. The voiceover can be annoying and is loud by default, but it can be turned down. One of those brilliantly surprising games that came out of nowhere for me.

Golf Story - 7.5 - A frustratingly long start, but pretty good once it gets going with some Earthbound-style humour and laugh out loud moments. Can still be annoying at times e.g. the graveyard level is just too weird and the rap battle that went on forever.

Gorogoa - 8 - Interesting and soothing but sometimes frustrating. I'm all for these unique kind of games though.

Hidden in Plain Sight - 8.5 - The best competitive local multiplayer since I first played Super Bomberman 2 in the 90s, and a game that pretty much anyone can play.

Human Fall Flat - 7 - The physics take some getting used to, but I think that's intentional and it makes for good fun multiplayer, if a bit repetitive and thinking "what's the point of this?"

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 8 - Remove the ink weapon and it'd be 9 - I struggle to see what's going on as it is. Some changes to the old tracks are disappointing. Otherwise top-class, as Mario Kart usually is. It's great to have the battle arenas back.

Snipper Clips - 7.5 - A fun little multiplayer game that requires communication.

Submerged - 6.5 - Hmmm. If it's just collecting things to return, I'm not going to be that engaged. I like the look of the game and the opening was intriguing, so maybe I need to get into it more. It was pretty cheap.

Super Mario Odyssey - 8 - Inventive and fun, but some annoying controls and not a challenge I feel satisfied with yet. Nothing comes close to the magic of Mario 64, but I can't help comparing other 3D Mario games to it.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 8 - I'm not sure what, but something falls short compared to the Wii version. And it's annoying having separate profiles on the same console - having to copy levels between profiles, and usually I left my bro' to unlock all the levels.

The Touryst - 7.5 - Nice little game.

Trials Rising - 8 - the one-player is great, very satisfying when things go smoothly. Multiplayer (not that I've played it much due to such other multiplayer excellence) just seems like a generic racer.

Yoshi's Crafted World - 6 - I love Yoshi's Island on the SNES, but Crafted World doesn't do much for me. Has it become more of a game for young children, without the challenge?

To play next:
To the Moon
Ni no Kuni

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:30 am

Anyone got Fitness Boxing?

I picked it up in a sale a couple of weeks back and have been using it daily for about an hour. It's reasonably effective, I'm drenched in sweat by the end.

It does seem to be missing voice work for big chunks of text. Is it just my install, or is it always like this? In the exercise segments, the voices seem ok, but when it drops down to the end summaries and surrounding menu bits, there's big swathes of 'subtitle' text the trainer is supposedly saying, but they remain silent. It's a bit annoying and makes it feel cheap that they didn't record those few extra lines (assuming it isn't a bug).

I'm not sure why the devs would think less revealing clothes for my trainer is a reward either. Entertain me, gameify things more.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:30 am
Anyone got Fitness Boxing?

Try Ring fit adventure, apparently its meant to be a solid workout, id get it, but yeah, money

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:45 am

Ring Fit Adventure looks like a stupid gimmick that will get old quickly, at a ridiculous price. Fitness Boxing was 20 quid and does what I want.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:56 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:45 am
Ring Fit Adventure looks like a stupid gimmick that will get old quickly, at a ridiculous price. Fitness Boxing was 20 quid and does what I want.
Not really from what ive seen it has a ton of modes. It gives a full body workout, the more you put in the more it seems to give out

https://www.ign.com/wikis/ring-fit-adve ... Fit_Skills

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm

New Smash DLC character to be announced tomorrow. 3pm BST.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:51 pm

It better not be another sodding Fire emblem character.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/p ... ux-switch/

Anyway, Postal is on Switch, so that's a thing.

I remember them once saying that they couldn't fit extra Pokemon on the cart.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/ ... s_november

You lying gits

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Even Fire Emblem fans think there are too many characters in Smash.

The problem is that, when each game has a cast of around fifty with very little reuse, there just isn't any one of them who you could pick out to represent the series as a whole. So they just keep adding new ones whenever a new game comes out while the rest get power crept.

Still, I'm fully expecting them to add someone from Tokyo Mirage Sessions now.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:30 pm

Disappointing for me as Minecraft holds appeal to me, but will probably please a lot of other gamer's so I understand the decision.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:44 pm

pratty wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:30 pm
Disappointing for me as Minecraft holds appeal to me, but will probably please a lot of other gamer's so I understand the decision.
Not from what ive been seeing, just a lot of hate for another "Third party" character
Reaction videos aside as why would anybody watch that s**t?