Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

an eShop Spring sale has started, with more deals coming next week.

Finally got Mario+Rabbids since £7 seems criminal not to get it. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:36 am

ALK wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Is it any good?

I got Horizon Chase (50% off) and just to kill time with the kids... Monopoly (75% off).

Looking for something along the lines of Mario Party as we all enjoy that.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:46 pm

My games awaiting the console, which is coming up to a month late, with no word from Nintendo. :(

I'm a massive Studio Ghibli fan (probably thanks to the Japanese SNES-era RPGs), so I'm looking forward to Ni No Kuni. I'll probably play multiplayer Smash & Seiken Densetsu 3 first, or Odyssey if I'm on my own. :)

I'll also be getting Breath of the Wild, Golf Story and 198x. I prefer shorter games, so there are certain games I'll be avoiding outside must-haves.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the Switch delays? The Animal Crossing editions are back in stock for a 17th April dispatch on the official website, but if they're in stock, how is that different to manufacturing and shipping the normal edition of the consoles, especially to those who ordered months ago?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:34 pm

What's going on is that there's massive demand for games consoles now that nearly everyone's got to stay at home because of COVID-19.

Meanwhile, with China having pretty much shut down for a couple of months in order to slow the spread of it, production schedules are also out of whack so in any case will only be making models that were planned months in advance before any of this kicked off.

Throw in Nintendo's ever conservative business models, where they'll never make much more than the anticipated demand in any case, and Switches are particularly thin on the ground.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:10 pm

Yeah some places have marked the prices up on them.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:36 am
ALK wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Is it any good?

I got Horizon Chase (50% off) and just to kill time with the kids... Monopoly (75% off).

Looking for something along the lines of Mario Party as we all enjoy that.
I'd say so, I've yet to hear a bad thing about the game. While I dunno if theres a multiplayer for your kids, you should have fun with it and even if they finish it there's a heafty season pass with even more story content for about £8 too.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:05 am

So got the Switch Lite some weeks ago, and I will go all digital with this one (not enough space for collecting more than I already do). It's a great handheld! Currently tried Bulletstorm: Duke Edition on it, looks/works great. Awesome handheld!
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:33 am

What's the storage like on a Switch Lite? Tempted to go full digital myself if I get one but I don't want a PS4 situation where it fills up super-quick and you have to keep deleting stuff.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 am

Megamixer wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:33 am
What's the storage like on a Switch Lite? Tempted to go full digital myself if I get one but I don't want a PS4 situation where it fills up super-quick and you have to keep deleting stuff.
It takes carts and SD cards, but its kinda locked to one

GO HUAGE OR GO OME!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:50 am

Get a 400GB sd card during one of the many sales, I think mine was around £60-80. I still have space with around 70 games installed.

You can swap SD cards, with caveats on some saved data (which I can't remember, as I never do it).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:26 am

I picked up The Touryst is the sale, had my eye on that for a while.
Megamixer wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:33 am
It has 32GB internally, which is fine for game updates, the odd demo and a few indie titles, but if you're considering digital only or even picking up the download only big budget releases then I'd agree with the others that you should get the biggest micro SD card you can afford, assuming you don't already have one.

For an example, I buy retail copies when I can so I got a 64GB card thinking that plus the 32GB would be plenty for my needs, but I'm now down to my last 10GB. I haven't bought many big budget digital games but Resident Evil Revelations 2, which is digital only, was 24GB. The updates and indie games soon add up too. The update for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is 4.5GB alone. I plan to upgrade to at least a 200GB card soon.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:42 pm

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I just don't have room for more game cases these days. Plus, discs/carts are pretty much a waste of time now when there's probably more data contained in the cumulated updates and DLC post-release. So I don't really care about "collecting" anymore when the retail boxes have nothing in them and are pretty much "incomplete" editions right off the bat.

Believe me, I didn't think I'd ever be saying something like that, given how I've always been a physical media stalwart!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:03 pm

Yeah in some cases the cart has part of the game (Boarderlands) and in some cases (Overwatch) its just a case with the code.

Saves on costs on there end while they still charge full whack for it

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Nintendo future proofed the Switch by allowing SD cards up to 2TB.......which currently don't exist but we're on 1TB so halfway there and should be plenty of space. And believe they said they were open to adding external headdrive support for us docked gamers but considering how there are Nintendo branded SD cards, might be awhile if not never.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ewjim

Post by ewjim » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:43 pm

Ahoy, not been in these here parts in yonks so a quick hello!

So has Bubble Bobble 4 been mentioned in this thread yet? What are peoples opinions? Personally found it dreadful (1 player) akin to a poorly made mobile game.

Contrast to a phone app as you get awarded stars out of 3 depending on the player score each stage etc.. now you could say that increases longevity but it doesn't for myself.

Graphically I found it quite poor, uninspired looking enemies with bland stages and sound wise - honestly could not tell you what songs the game has despite clocking in a couple of hours to finish it.

All I'm thinking about is the arcade theme tune (obviously), of which the arcade version is included as a bonus. It needed to be for me though because the main feature I found very little meat on it.

Playing through I found no secret rooms / hidden extras that the original had in spades, I just trudged my way through an uninspiring, lacklustre effort that was a day 1 excited purchase. That's not to say they aren't in the game - they could well be, but I'm in no hurry to play it again.