Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 am
I can see the logic in dropping the dock, but I'm surprised they haven't left an HDMI out facility in the new design for a straight cable connection to TV. It isn't like they'd be adding anything to the design, it only connects to the dock using the USB connection for charging that I assume remains. Has it specifically been said it won't be able to dock at all? Seems odd that it isn't an option when that element of the design didn't need to change. I always use the pro controller when my Switch is docked.
I don't know about the cost and practicality of an HDMI out, but perhaps they don't want to undermine a key feature of the original model, which they and their partners have a lot invested in.

Plus Nintendo can never win with many gamers, I think an HDMI out would only highlight the abscence of a physical dock and they would complain about that. Nintendo might then release a dock to be bought seperately, which would then only cause people to complain that it should have been included in the first place. Then if Nintendo bundle them together the early adopters would complain they never had the option to buy them together and save money. And so on.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:39 pm

pratty wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 am
I can see the logic in dropping the dock, but I'm surprised they haven't left an HDMI out facility in the new design for a straight cable connection to TV. It isn't like they'd be adding anything to the design, it only connects to the dock using the USB connection for charging that I assume remains. Has it specifically been said it won't be able to dock at all? Seems odd that it isn't an option when that element of the design didn't need to change. I always use the pro controller when my Switch is docked.
I don't know about the cost and practicality of an HDMI out, but perhaps they don't want to undermine a key feature of the original model, which they and their partners have a lot invested in.

Plus Nintendo can never win with many gamers, I think an HDMI out would only highlight the abscence of a physical dock and they would complain about that. Nintendo might then release a dock to be bought seperately, which would then only cause people to complain that it should have been included in the first place. Then if Nintendo bundle them together the early adopters would complain they never had the option to buy them together and save money. And so on.
It's a non-issue. The existing Switch doesn't have a distinct HDMI out, there's only the USB connection. The dock just transfers this to HDMI, provides power, and acts as a USB hub. It doesn't really do anything.

Docks can be bought separately already, though they're pricey, otherwise I'd have dropped one on the bedroom telly too. This isn't something new that would need to be offered to the Lite owners only.

There's no reason they can't leave the output from the USB, then allow users to buy an optional dock (or a new custom cable) to output to HDMI.

I think having a cheaper option to get people invested is a good idea, especially when many only ever use it as a handheld anyway, but not allowing those users to later decide they'd like to expand the system to the big screen is imo a mistake.

Where the Switch was originally seen as a home system that could be portable, this new one could be the reverse, a handheld with the capacity to become a home system once users are invested in it more - a cheap entry point.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:44 am

The less obvious issue is that the power draw for the Switch increases massively when docked, up to a peak of around 18W which is more than twice as much as it uses in handheld mode. It may well be that the Lite has been designed with insufficient cooling to handle this (and certainly if I was designing one as a pure handheld I'd be trimming down the bulky and expensive solution in the original model.) Even if that's not the case, I'm pretty sure that it won't ship with anything more than a basic USB cable as a power supply. That's fine if you're only ever going to run it undocked, because even the crappy USB power supplies in an airline seat are good enough for running one practically indefinitely.

Maybe, in a future generation of hardware, they'll be so power efficient that everything can just run in the high performance modes all the time without requiring an atypical amount of power. However, they're clearly not there yet.

Also, has anyone seen a third-party dock that's worth getting yet? Practically every review of them I've seen has been scathing with common issues being glitchy output, crashes and in some cases even bricking the Switch itself. Not having to cart around the oversized dock would be a massive boon, but I wouldn't want to risk it if they're all like that.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:22 am

Any body pick up Resident Evil 4 for the Switch? How is it?

I have it on Gamecube and Wii but I don't have it in HD. I'm debating if it's worth the £19 on sale and 12 GB.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:01 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:22 am

I have it on Gamecube and Wii but I don't have it in HD. I'm debating if it's worth the £19 on sale and 12 GB.
Its often discounted for £6-ish on XBONE/PS4 so I'd either go with one of those, or wait till Capcom discounts the Switch version for just as low.

After all, I'm sure an 8K rerererererelease is coming for next gen..... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:30 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:22 am

Its great. Basically if you want a 60FPS version of RE4 on a handheld this is the choice for you. Plus, it has Mercs mode as well, which is insanely addictive on its own.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:47 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:30 pm
Its great. Basically if you want a 60FPS version of RE4 on a handheld this is the choice for you. Plus, it has Mercs mode as well, which is insanely addictive on its own.
Thanks. Mercs mode is quite overlooked whenever the game is mentioned, it's definitely something that sweetens the deal for me, used to love playing as Kraiser with his bow and freaky arm. The sheer content of RE4 in general is pretty awesome.
ALK wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:01 pm
Its often discounted for £6-ish on XBONE/PS4 so I'd either go with one of those, or wait till Capcom discounts the Switch version for just as low.

After all, I'm sure an 8K rerererererelease is coming for next gen..... :lol:
I wouldn't doubt it. :lol:

Yeah I am tempted to hold off for now as I could see it getting cheaper, closer to a tenner in future sales.

icemann

Post by icemann » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:11 am

Anyone here experience the joy con drift issue, which Nintendo is currently in QUITE a bit of trouble over?

There is a good chance I'll be getting a switch in a few months, so be interesting to see just how widespread the issue is.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:35 am

I've never had it myself and the good news seems to be that Nintendo are now taking the problem seriously and will fix it for free even outside the warranty period:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xzz ... t-for-free

Obviously it'd be nice if they hadn't waited to get sued before doing that, but I don't think you need to be too concerned.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Nope haven't had a problem with it - had to look up what it was.

What was interesting to me is that it's apparently been a thing forever and that I've not ever heard of it - that's despite absolutely hammering some of them with multiplayer games and the rest of it. So either I and my circle of friends have been very lucky, or it's not related to how well or poorly you treat the equipment.

Would be interested to see what kind of % hardware fault they are talking about. Again it's only based on my own experiences and that of friends but would have to assume it's probably less common than the likes of red-rings or having to turn a PS1 upside down to get it to load etc.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:17 am

A Nintendo life poll had around 20% or so iirc that had had the problem. I'm inclined to think that result is skewed, as people without wont feel the same imclination to vote or even read the feature.

At the moment the free fix is only in the US, theres no word of it being a global agreement.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:48 pm

That's disappointing. Still, their UK operation has always been a bit low in the food chain so hopefully it's just a case of the memo taking time to get through to the staff there.

From what I've read elsewhere the leading theories are that it's either wear and tear on the contacts or dust getting in there, so it's much more likely to affect older and heavily used units.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 pm

In a surprising move, the original Doom, Doom 2, and Doom 3 have launched today on Switch, XBONE and PS4 for fairly cheap.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... switch_now
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Fire Emblem is getting great reviews which is good to see. I played the intro this afternoon and I'm impressed so far with the presentation, the voice acting is really good and the game does a good job of drawing you into it's world. Looking like a very promising game. Even without Animal Crossing it's shaping up to be a very strong year for the Switch games-wise.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:36 am

Doom 3 looks good. Anyone played it?

Never had a problem with the left joy con here.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."