Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

slacey1070

Re: Nintendo NX Reveal Coming Tomorrow!

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm

So... skyrim.... on the go.

I'm in.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:02 pm

DPrinny wrote:CONCERNS!!

Media?
Battery life on the go?
Again is it more of a gimmick?
and i bet the handheld controller is an add on
This guy are sick

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:07 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
DPrinny wrote:CONCERNS!!

Media?
Battery life on the go?
Again is it more of a gimmick?
and i bet the handheld controller is an add on
Yeah im gonna wait till I see the total package, interested for my games night mainly, do I still have to get a WiiU or will this play its games?

NO NOT LEX!!!
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:23 pm

At this point I remain unconvinced but will see which way the wind blows. If it's just a wiiU in tablet form I'm less than interested.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:26 pm

Doesn't look too bad... but what of my Wii-U?!

Unlikely I'd get this - unless there is something out of this world released as an exclusive. And even then it's unlikely!

Why can't they just release an absolute BEAST of a machine that blows the competition out of the water instead of mucking around with variations of the Wii.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:31 pm

markopoloman wrote:Doesn't look too bad... but what of my Wii-U?!

Unlikely I'd get this - unless there is something out of this world released as an exclusive. And even then it's unlikely!

Why can't they just release an absolute BEAST of a machine that blows the competition out of the water instead of mucking around with variations of the Wii.
Wii is a home games console largely sold around its motion control options. Switch is a dockable gaming tablet with no apparent motion control functions. How is one a variation of the other?

As for why they don't just release a monster machine that kills the competition... well, that's never really been Nintendo's way; people who play graphically intensive games just don't buy Nintendo's wares these days. But also, we're getting into the laws of diminishing returns here. The 360/PS3 generation lasted for seven or eight years, and when they were finally replaced the difference between gens was not always easy to spot unless you had a side-by-side comparison. The closer consoles get to the theoretical maximum (photorealistic graphics in real-time) the harder and more expensive the jumps become. The days when the difference between hardware generations was huge and noticable at a glance (8bit-16bit, 16bit-32bit) are gone. Now it's just about wringing the last drops out of the technology, which is pricey. To make a console even fractionally more powerful than the PS4 is goingto cost an arm and a leg, which is why Sony and MS seem to have opted out of five-yearly generations and opted instead for smaller iterative releases.
Last edited by killbot on Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:33 pm

Ok rewatched it, only this time paying attention

The screen attachments also double up as two controllers
Theres some kind of LAN going on with some
Some kind of cartridge slot (SD card?)
Split screen games................
Not touch screen?
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:50 pm

hopefully the wii u will be supported too just as the wii should of been after the wii u launched
This guy are sick

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:54 pm

stayAwhile wrote:

hopefully the wii u will be supported too just as the wii should of been after the wii u launched
You are joking right?! Nintendo has giving awful support for the Wii U the last 12 months, they aren't gonna start bringing more titles to it now, expect Zelda to be one of their last games for it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:56 pm

General Opulence wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:

You are joking right?! Nintendo has giving awful support for the Wii U the last 12 months, they aren't gonna start bringing more titles to it now, expect Zelda to be one of their last games for it.
He probably means as in backwards com pat

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Looks just like the Wii-U's TV > tablet feature but in v2.0 guise.

Not really sure what to say at the moment! Again, it seems like a gimmick but at least they have finally done away with motion control and touch screens (that we can see) and used some proper controls.

My only concern is whether or not the public will take to it. In theory they should because people love gimmicky stuff like this but if they don't? It could be game over.

If the Skyrim and Basketball games are anything to go by in the video could that mean better third party + the return of EA?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:21 pm

The advert has some interesting moments, aside from its corny americanised nature (drinking out of their red plastic cups on the rooftop - yay lets have a nintendo partayyy).

I tend to fall for Nintendo quite easily, due to the SNES being so majestic decades ago! Plus I adore most of their handhelds, so I may get drawn into this. Should probably try and get some more use out of the Wii U first though.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:22 pm

My YT feed is full of reaction videos :( So it looks like a WiiU 2.0 very gimmicky. I had a WiiU a launch I think it will be a wait and see for me this time. It will have to offer more than Mario to get me to buy
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:24 pm

The Nintendo Switch is (personally) is one dull (grey) ugly mother of a machine & something that already done with the Wii U.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:45 pm

I don't think it warrants comparison with the WiiU, since that is tied to the house. This is much more in the handheld gaming market where they've always triumphed. Its a handheld with the option of TV play, much like we've had since the PSP.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.