Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

greenberet79

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:50 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:21 pm
greenberet79 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:55 pm
outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Nice to see a re-release of OutRun, even though the music is remixed and the car model is changed up (understandable, they aren't gonna splash the cash for the Ferrari license).

Wish they'd re-release Coast 2 Coast too, although that would require more work due to the need to modify all those Ferraris in the game.
Have you got a PSP? That's the best way (or the only way?) to play C2C on mobile, it's a beautiful version.
I have the PC version which I enjoyed a lot but it was removed from Steam so the only way to get it now is to track down a physical copy.
OutRun Coast to Coast looks great on a hacked Vita running the PSP emulator.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am

Another shout here for Resident Evil Revelations 2 (have not played the first). I think it's really good. Ploughed through the first half in the summer and enjoyed it. Currently going through the second half now. A bit stuck on a boss but hopefully will get past and persevere.

I didn't think the first one was meant to be any good, but i might pick it up - as has been mentioned here it's always on sale.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 am

I got The Bunker on sale (I think a fiver) which i really enjoyed. Finished it over a couple of nights - if you enjoy a certain type of 80s British horror/post Apocalypse then you might like it.

Legendary Eleven - not a bad footy game. By no means perfect, but was worth a fiver on sale.

Fast RMX - took me a while to get to grips with the speed must be my age :( - but it's a nice WipeOut clone.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:04 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am
Another shout here for Resident Evil Revelations 2 (have not played the first). I think it's really good. Ploughed through the first half in the summer and enjoyed it. Currently going through the second half now. A bit stuck on a boss but hopefully will get past and persevere.

I didn't think the first one was meant to be any good, but i might pick it up - as has been mentioned here it's always on sale.
The first one is quite good. I have it on the wii U and it's by no means bad at all, maybe it lacks the character and overall polish of the likes of RE4 but it's still a decent serving of modern RE action.

I think you get a discount if you already have the sequel and vice-versa, so if you do pick it up cheap it would probably feel like some good bang-for-your-buck DLC if nothing else.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
[url]viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823[/url

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:26 pm

pratty wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:40 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:18 pm
pratty wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Oh I just remembered Travis Strikes Again is out in a couple of weeks, a sequel of sorts to the No More Heroes games on the Wii, developed in Japan by Suda 51 and co. It looks as bonkers as you'd expect, and with a lot of retro inspired gameplay and references.

Anybody else getting this? I don't know a great deal about the game but off the strength of Suda's prior work I'm considering the physical edition with the DLC season pass included.
I really enjoyed No More Heroes on the 360 I got to the fight against the black lady in the burning building and my jap 360 Red Ringed. I always wanted to play this game with out the Gimmicky Wii motion controls so this will be a must buy
I just pre-ordered the physical release.

Just to be clear though, it's not a re-release of the original No More Heroes, it's an all new game.
That’s even better will be an expensive month as I want No More Heroes, Bayonetta 2 and after playing the Resident 2 Demo last night that will be another day 1 purchase.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Switch version of MK11 has been delayed till May. Other versions still due for April.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

HdE

Post by HdE » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 am
Fast RMX - took me a while to get to grips with the speed must be my age :( - but it's a nice WipeOut clone.
Stick with it! I picked it up not long after buying my Switch. I'd heard mixed reviews, which was off-putting, and it does truthfully take a while to get the hang of. But it really is good fun once you've invested some time and practice into it.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:31 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am

I think people disliked the console versions but the 3DS version reviewed very well.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 am

HdE wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 pm
greenberet79 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 am
Stick with it! I picked it up not long after buying my Switch. I'd heard mixed reviews, which was off-putting, and it does truthfully take a while to get the hang of. But it really is good fun once you've invested some time and practice into it.
I do really like the game, but I find the CPU opposition very cheap in comparison to F-Zero or Wipeout. Even on the easiest difficulty, you practically have to complete three perfect laps boosting the entire time to come first, and if one of the CPU ships manages to give you a good rattle... forget it. It is fun despite that, but with a bit of balancing it could have been a genuine contended to F-Zero GX.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 pm

SNES games on the online service? Yes please...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... e#comments

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:41 pm

They'd get more excitement for their service if they had Super Mario Kart with online multiplayer that's for sure.

Pity the multiplayer is friends only but I'm sure online Battle Mode will be popular among retro gamers.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Mixed reviews for Travis Strikes Again so far. :|
greenberet79 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 pm
SNES games on the online service? Yes please...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... e#comments
I'm not surprised, I'm sure we will get as many old games as is possible eventually. Persoanlly I prefer the feeling of owning my games, even digital ones, but I've never understood the fretting over the lack of the Virtual Console, as if Nintendo are about to erase their back catalog of games from existence. There looks to be a strategy at work, in short; trying a subscription payment model, milking the 3Ds and Wii U Virtual Console for all it's worth, selling the novelties of the NES controllers and the Mini SNES, and giving third party devs room in the digital/retro market place.

Eventually they will monetise as many of their games as they can on the Switch, I can see the more retro stuff being part of the online subscription and the more modern stuff being e-shop titles. I could also see an option to buy the retro games individually aswell.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
[url]viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823[/url

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Yeah, about the only thing the reviewers can agree upon with Travis Strikes Again is that it's weird. Otherwise there are a lot of complaints about it being a low-budget effort with sub-par visuals and repetitive gameplay.

As for the SNES games, it's more of a case of when rather than if. And, much though I'd like to see them get a surprise launch earlier in the year, they're far more likely to wait until the first round of annual subscriptions are coming up for renewal and there'll probably be a price hike on the back of it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:00 pm

TSA is an odd one for me. Sounds like I might enjoy it but the gameplay does look a tad repetitive and the reviews are all over the place. I'll wait a bit on that one I think.

Meanwhile I've been playing New Super Mario Bros U which I'm really liking. I liked the Wii U port but this has the advantage of being truly portable (never was a big fan of the Wii U). Almost finished the main game, then it'll be onto the secret missions and then Luigi U.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

HdE

Post by HdE » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:25 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 am
I do really like the game, but I find the CPU opposition very cheap in comparison to F-Zero or Wipeout. Even on the easiest difficulty, you practically have to complete three perfect laps boosting the entire time to come first, and if one of the CPU ships manages to give you a good rattle... forget it. It is fun despite that, but with a bit of balancing it could have been a genuine contended to F-Zero GX.
I noticed this as well. You're basically stuffed if you make more than a single mistake on most courses, and the game is guilty of one of the cardinal sins of any console racer. Once you earn a specific vehicle later on, everything becomes markedly much easier.

That said, I do really enjoy that boosting mechanic, and the sheer turn of speed it's capable of.