Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
buddy1983
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:12 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by buddy1983 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:12 am

The Revelations games are great and some what of a return to form i feel, I preferred 1 over 2 though. Think they only got a digital release over in the UK though which is a shame.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26469
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:43 am

Worth noting that you can get RE: Revelations in just about every sale on the Switch store, they routinely turn up for under £25 for the pair. I think they may be on sale now.

I played the first, it's a bit slow to start with a lot of dull empty corridors and few/limited variation in enemies, so don't judge by the first couple of hours or so. Once it gets going, it is good, and there are more game modes to go back and play once you finish the story that are worth a look.

At sale prices, deffo worth a look for RE fans.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13137
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by sscott » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:43 pm

My son unlocking the many, many extras on Smash Bros Ultimate. I played one on one with him and he completely owned me. So much stuff on screen at once! Argh!
Image

User avatar
buddy1983
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:12 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by buddy1983 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:22 pm

I've never been able to get into the smash games, i prefer one on one fighters to these brawler type fighting games.

Mortal Kombat is my favorite, I believe the new one is coming to switch too.

ALK
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:27 pm

Yup, same time as the other versions of MK11 for a change. :)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:02 pm
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by samhain81 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Finally unwrapped my Switch after buying it in Black Friday Sale with Mario Odyssey last November (Yes, November 2017), because my fiance got me Mario Kart and Skyrim for Christmas. I didn't expect any Switch games, and kinda hoped she wouldn't buy Mario Kart as I bought it for Wii U on it's release and barely played that one much to justify the purchase. But nevertheless, she bought it as she mainly wanted us to play together in bed, so we set it up in handheld mode for some nighttime games on the bed with both joy cons. She liked it so much, she wanted to play on the big screen with better controllers, so all it's actually done is made us play the Wii U version more now, so I took the Wii U in from the livingroom and set that up, since we have more controller options for the Wii U, it just made more sense to play on that.

So never thought I'd hear myself say this, but because of the Switch, I am now playing more of my Wii U :lol:

pratty
Posts: 5236
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:03 pm

samhain81 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 pm
Finally unwrapped my Switch after buying it in Black Friday Sale with Mario Odyssey last November (Yes, November 2017), because my fiance got me Mario Kart and Skyrim for Christmas. I didn't expect any Switch games, and kinda hoped she wouldn't buy Mario Kart as I bought it for Wii U on it's release and barely played that one much to justify the purchase. But nevertheless, she bought it as she mainly wanted us to play together in bed, so we set it up in handheld mode for some nighttime games on the bed with both joy cons. She liked it so much, she wanted to play on the big screen with better controllers, so all it's actually done is made us play the Wii U version more now, so I took the Wii U in from the livingroom and set that up, since we have more controller options for the Wii U, it just made more sense to play on that.

So never thought I'd hear myself say this, but because of the Switch, I am now playing more of my Wii U :lol:
Nice, it is an underrated console. I think the Wii U could be the new Gamecube in a few years, where it suddenly becomes popular to collect for, mostly for the first party games and exclusives.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty
Posts: 5236
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:31 pm
But could anybody recommend any similar jap games.
Oh I just remembered Travis Strikes Again is out in a couple of weeks, a sequel of sorts to the No More Heroes games on the Wii, developed in Japan by Suda 51 and co. It looks as bonkers as you'd expect, and with a lot of retro inspired gameplay and references.

Anybody else getting this? I don't know a great deal about the game but off the strength of Suda's prior work I'm considering the physical edition with the DLC season pass included.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11037
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:02 am

Shinobi wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:34 pm

What are your thoughts on Megaman 11 and Battke Princess Madelyn? The reviews I read of Madyln said its a Metroidvania game with no signposting make it soul crushingly hard. And that the extra arcade game was what Madelyn should have been, an old school ghouls and ghosts that was most importantly fun.

I know everybody says Mario Odyssey is the best game ever, but I never got on with the Mario games only the Gameboy Titles and Super Mario 3D World. I just found Peach so much easier to use with her floating jump as there was more leeway with using her. Same with Wario found him a much easier character to use.

Is Resident Evil 2 getting a Switch Release otherwise I will buy the PS4 version,

Any news on a Bloodstained?
Bloodstained has no new news, only that the Linux and Mac ports are cancelled. Which... is less than promising for development. Thankfully at least the prequel 8 bit game was fantastic. But I'm starting to have doubts over how the full game will turn out.

RE2 isn't getting a Switch port. None of Capcom's current gen only games are. But hey, they announced that Dragons Dogma is getting a Switch port yesterday which i can't wait for!

As for MM11 - its one of the highlights of the last year for me. Level design was spot on for what I wanted, bosses were brilliant and the weapons/gear system encouraged exploration and replay as you could do some pretty amazing runs once you knew the game in and out. Well worth playing.

Battle Princess though... I'm waiting. I was day 1 for that game but the reviews suggest its a bit of a mess at the moment. Its got a metroidvania mode that sounds like a mess and a linear arcade mode that is more in keeping with GnG, but compared to GnG its a pale imitation. One to get later on when I have time to play it I think.
If you want an amazing GnG clone though, look up Cursed Castilla (not on Switch... yet though!) as its basically the lost GnG sequel that tweaks enemy encounter rates and spawn points to make it fair! I plat'ed that game on the PS4 and almost managed it again on the Vita, its practically flawless.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7459
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:19 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:02 am


Bloodstained has no new news, only that the Linux and Mac ports are cancelled. Which... is less than promising for development. Thankfully at least the prequel 8 bit game was fantastic. But I'm starting to have doubts over how the full game will turn out.

RE2 isn't getting a Switch port. None of Capcom's current gen only games are. But hey, they announced that Dragons Dogma is getting a Switch port yesterday which i can't wait for!

As for MM11 - its one of the highlights of the last year for me. Level design was spot on for what I wanted, bosses were brilliant and the weapons/gear system encouraged exploration and replay as you could do some pretty amazing runs once you knew the game in and out. Well worth playing.

Battle Princess though... I'm waiting. I was day 1 for that game but the reviews suggest its a bit of a mess at the moment. Its got a metroidvania mode that sounds like a mess and a linear arcade mode that is more in keeping with GnG, but compared to GnG its a pale imitation. One to get later on when I have time to play it I think.
If you want an amazing GnG clone though, look up Cursed Castilla (not on Switch... yet though!) as its basically the lost GnG sequel that tweaks enemy encounter rates and spawn points to make it fair! I plat'ed that game on the PS4 and almost managed it again on the Vita, its practically flawless.
That’s a shame with Bloodstained I loved the 8 bit remake. I thought Gremory the last boss was overly hard, it was very hard to hit her, even when I learned her patterns she was still difficult. The Nightmare playtrough was much easier less levels and no boss fight with Gremory. Glad I never backed it now.

Dragon Dogma was another game I was addicted to on the PS4 even finished Bitterback Isle, still need to beat Death and the true LAst boss of bitterback isle. Deaths a censored mind.

I always found the Megaman games to difficult you made them look easy, how quickly you managed to get 200g on them on 360. Doing them without dying is very impressive.

Cursed Castilla I own the PS Vita Box Set but that was another game I found overly hard. I could get to level 4 on 1 Credit with a lot of replaying and learning boss attack patterns(the old man on the cloud is annoying). The best weapon the flaming sword that the lady in the lake gives you, seems gone for good. And to finish the game you can’t continue or the game ends early.

What news source do you use as you always find all the cool games I’ve never heard off.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ALK
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Both Final Fantasy X+X2 and XII have been dated for April

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... ndo_switch

And Outrun is out on the English eShop today! :)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty
Posts: 5236
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Yoshi Crafted World is apparently out on the 29th of March. I still need to finish the Wii U game but this will be a must buy for me.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
buddy1983
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:12 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by buddy1983 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:17 pm

As for MM11 - its one of the highlights of the last year for me. Level design was spot on for what I wanted, bosses were brilliant and the weapons/gear system encouraged exploration and replay as you could do some pretty amazing runs once you knew the game in and out. Well worth playing.
MK11 is a new entry in the series coming out in April, MK9 and 10 were great games though which I also enjoyed a lot.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7459
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:18 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:31 pm
But could anybody recommend any similar jap games.
Oh I just remembered Travis Strikes Again is out in a couple of weeks, a sequel of sorts to the No More Heroes games on the Wii, developed in Japan by Suda 51 and co. It looks as bonkers as you'd expect, and with a lot of retro inspired gameplay and references.

Anybody else getting this? I don't know a great deal about the game but off the strength of Suda's prior work I'm considering the physical edition with the DLC season pass included.
I really enjoyed No More Heroes on the 360 I got to the fight against the black lady in the burning building and my jap 360 Red Ringed. I always wanted to play this game with out the Gimmicky Wii motion controls so this will be a must buy
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

pratty
Posts: 5236
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:40 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:18 pm
pratty wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:31 pm
But could anybody recommend any similar jap games.
Oh I just remembered Travis Strikes Again is out in a couple of weeks, a sequel of sorts to the No More Heroes games on the Wii, developed in Japan by Suda 51 and co. It looks as bonkers as you'd expect, and with a lot of retro inspired gameplay and references.

Anybody else getting this? I don't know a great deal about the game but off the strength of Suda's prior work I'm considering the physical edition with the DLC season pass included.
I really enjoyed No More Heroes on the 360 I got to the fight against the black lady in the burning building and my jap 360 Red Ringed. I always wanted to play this game with out the Gimmicky Wii motion controls so this will be a must buy
I just pre-ordered the physical release.

Just to be clear though, it's not a re-release of the original No More Heroes, it's an all new game.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests