Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

pratty

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 pm
Why pay that much?
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Picked up Starlink starter pack from Smyths yesterday, further reductions so it's only £17.99 now.
Didn't see your initial post, but to be fair Smyths are sold out online.

Still not bought it myself, it's cheap enough for sure but I'm also tempted by several games in the e-shop sale I think I may enjoy more.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Its certainly at the price point I'd consider Starlink......although with how fast it got there, I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt the first £5 Switch game in CeX very soon. You can pick up quite a few Toys To Life starter packs for that price these days, maybe even cheaper.

Its pretty much proved that Toy To Life, outside of amiibo, are dead. Parents got burned out on Skylanders and kids lost interest.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:45 am

Yeah, a few people were surprised Ubisoft was down this route with the game but to be fair I think development started a few years ago before the model became outdated. The other thing I'm thinking is they may release a "Gold Edition" with all the content on the cart at some point.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:16 am

So Nintendo and the Switch in 2018 - good? Bad? OK?

2017 was considered great but people instantly point out Mario and Zelda to sum it up, of course there were more games but those two seemed to stick out for everyone. Are 2 major releases all it takes to have a good year of games? 2018 had Smash, if it had one more heavy hitter would the year be considered as good?

I think if Smash had been released earlier in the year people would have felt better about 2018's releases. Kirby and Mario Tennis were underwhelming at launch but to be fair content has improved as the year has gone by. There was also significant DLC for Splatoon 2 and Mario & Rabbids. I think Torna The Golden country has been over looked as a release because it was also included as DLC for 2017's Xenoblade 2, however it was effectively a new first party exclusive game in it's own right. Octopath Traveller was also a strong exclusive.

There were many other good games released, maybe more than 2017, but since many were ports, multi-plats and indies, people haven't been very excited about them.

Labo was something different, it's not for me and probably most gamers but I don't think we suffered anything for it.

The online has been criticised a lot, but I don't think it's been entirely fair, considering it's early days and comparing it to Microsoft and Sony's online perks but ignoring the significant difference in price.

Overall I enjoyed 2018 and I've still loads on my Switch backlog.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:23 am

2018 has been a good year for Switch, but it had little to do with Nintendo. I've bought loads of games, but they've mostly been indie games and almost all third party games (Odyssey being the only Nintendo game I bought this year, and their line up not having anything else I want as I got Zelda with it)).

Much of the indie games I've bought have been because they were very cheap, and as I don't have the other platforms to play them, they're new to me.

There's still major gaps in its catalogue. I've yet to find a decent 'real' car racer. V-Rally may be the first, I've yet to suss that out. Instead we've had mobile games like Gear Club that were based on micro-transactions being ported over with little change, or garbage like Drift Legends that wont even recognise the Pro Controller. There still isn't much like the COD / Tomb Raider /Assassin's Creed style of experience either. At least Capcom are giving the system a fair bit of support, even if it is largely porting old games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Yet even more games have been added to the Festive Sale including SEGA Ages Sonic 1 and Thunder Force IV.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:23 am
2018 has been a good year for Switch, but it had little to do with Nintendo. I've bought loads of games, but they've mostly been indie games and almost all third party games (Odyssey being the only Nintendo game I bought this year, and their line up not having anything else I want as I got Zelda with it)).

Much of the indie games I've bought have been because they were very cheap, and as I don't have the other platforms to play them, they're new to me.

There's still major gaps in its catalogue. I've yet to find a decent 'real' car racer. V-Rally may be the first, I've yet to suss that out. Instead we've had mobile games like Gear Club that were based on micro-transactions being ported over with little change, or garbage like Drift Legends that wont even recognise the Pro Controller. There still isn't much like the COD / Tomb Raider /Assassin's Creed style of experience either. At least Capcom are giving the system a fair bit of support, even if it is largely porting old games.
Yeah I think it's fair to say the library is still weak in some genres. Luckily for me I'm not into racing games much, not realistic ones anyway. A few more high production action adventure games would be nice, minus all the micro transaction/loot box crap that plagues AAA Playstation and XBox games. Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 will be worth the wait.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Prime will be ok, but probably like the GC/Wii iterations I played, will suffer from boss battles with horrendous difficulty spikes unlike anything previously encountered in the game, stopping me from actually playing it.
It's offputting to say the least. Fool me once and all that, I don't know if I can tolerate a fourth game in a series where only the early part of the game is accessible. At least I bought them cheap and not at launch, so probably got my money's worth even if it wasn't the whole thing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Got my son Super Smash Bros. Deluxe. Was the first Switch game he had asked for in a long time. Just seems to be a few extra characters. I see the 2D Mario game is getting a ‘deluxe’ update too. A poor showing to be honest. Though feel free to point me in the direction of exclusives on the system. :)

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:27 pm

sscott wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:27 pm
Got my son Super Smash Bros. Deluxe. Was the first Switch game he had asked for in a long time. Just seems to be a few extra characters. I see the 2D Mario game is getting a ‘deluxe’ update too. A poor showing to be honest.
The 2D Mario game is an enhanced port, but Smash Bros Ultimate is a new game, not a port. It has a big single player mode that the Wii U game didn't have and the Spirit stuff is all new aswell.
sscott wrote:
Though feel free to point me in the direction of exclusives on the system. :)
Here's a few:

Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (well it's actually on the Wii U too)
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna: The Golden Country (contains DLC code for XC2)
Arms
Octopath Traveller
Golf Story
Fast RMX
Splatoon 2
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Kirby Star Allies
Mario Tennis Aces
Snipperclips
Super Mario Party
Ultra Street Fighter 2: The Final Challengers

I can recommend Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade and Golf Story.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:52 pm

sscott wrote:
Got my son Super Smash Bros. Deluxe. Was the first Switch game he had asked for in a long time. Just seems to be a few extra characters.
75 characters over the Wii U/3DS's 58 with at least 6 more coming as DLC, over 100 stages (300 if you count the variations), a Story Mode, a new Spirit feature, etc.

Sakurai tends to pack as much as he can into Smash games. Your son's going to get hundreds of hours outta it. 8)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:22 pm

ALK wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:52 pm
sscott wrote:
Got my son Super Smash Bros. Deluxe. Was the first Switch game he had asked for in a long time. Just seems to be a few extra characters.
75 characters over the Wii U/3DS's 58 with at least 6 more coming as DLC, over 100 stages (300 if you count the variations), a Story Mode, a new Spirit feature, etc.

Sakurai tends to pack as much as he can into Smash games. Your son's going to get hundreds of hours outta it. 8)
0h 0k. Will let him know! Thx to Pratty for above post too!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:34 am

sscott wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:22 pm
ALK wrote:
sscott wrote:

Enjoy unlocking them all

Its a bit of a grind
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:45 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:34 am
sscott wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:22 pm
ALK wrote:

Enjoy unlocking them all

Its a bit of a grind
Depends how you go about it. If you're doing in the World of Light mode, then yeah it will take you ages.

Spam Classic Mode and/or ordinarily Smash fights and Spirit Board, you can have them all unlocked in a couple of hours.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Well Mum bought me a Switch for Christmas and I had Namco Museum, SNK Classics and Snk Heroines as presents from family.

I bought Night Slashers and want to buy a few download games but unsure what. Thinking Katamari Damacy and Ninja Warriors again again. But could anybody recommend any similar jap games. Not interested in driving sports games.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"