Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Katamari re-roll isnt getting a physical release in the UK

DAMN IT!!
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:37 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:24 am
ALK wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:00 pm
Starlink is now at the £29.99 mark for those that want that model Arwing. :lol:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/1 ... _on_switch
£24.99 if you have a Smyths toy shop near you. Picked mine up yesterday :)

All the ships and add ons are half price too.
£28 on amazon now. I'm tempted.

Anyone actually played it yet and recommend it?

Is just the starter pack enough for a good experience?

Also, can I play with a pro controller/variant? As I'd rather not use the Joycons and toys. I heard you can but I'm not sure if you have to keep using the toys every so often to keep the weapons and ships unlocked.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 am

^Yeah its a Skylanders BUY THIS TO DO THIS type game

Smash Brothers is fun, enjoying all the homages in the classic mode
Ryus was a nice little surprise
As was Belmonts
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Starlink is your basic Ubisoft open worlder, but monetized with toys in addition to the usual microtransactions.

It appears that its bombed sufficiently for there to be little chance of further content, and you can play almost of the game to a finish with what's bundled anyway.

It's all right as a game but, as before, it's a generic Ubisoft open world. There'll be another one of those along soon enough.

The Starfox content is surprisingly decent though. I'd think it scores slightly better than Zero, but that's a pretty low bar.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:35 pm

If you don't want to mess about with toys, the digital download version is better. You can get all the content without faffing about buying pointless toys. I quite like the look of it, but wasn't interested in the physical aspect, was just waiting for the digi version to come down in price a bit.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 pm

pratty wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:37 pm
The Last Ginja wrote:
ALK wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:00 pm
Starlink is now at the £29.99 mark for those that want that model Arwing. :lol:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/1 ... _on_switch

Also, can I play with a pro controller/variant? As I'd rather not use the Joycons and toys. I heard you can but I'm not sure if you have to keep using the toys every so often to keep the weapons and ships unlocked.
I really like it. Played for about 4 hours on Sunday. When you start the game you can just select digitally so you don't have to faff with the toys.You just go to the menu and select which pilot, ship and weapon set up you want to use like any other game.

Since the ships are baked into the game you never need to use the toys/models/whatever. My Arwing is still in the box! I'm using my 8Bitdo controller.

There are 2 ships that I have so far, the Arwing(Switch exclusive obviously) and the other ship which I took for a spin. It's got a real No Mans Sky vibe, but less censored. You basically fly around the planet and scan things, get resources etc for XP and cash. There's research stations you go to for missions and they'll send you out to scan creatures among other odd jobs.

The ground combat is good fun and there's elemental damage so you have to use the right weapon for the job. I haven't done much space combat aside from the opening as I literally got engrossed in upgrading my mods by running missions on the planet. I did venture back out to space briefly and encountered some outlaws and can say the space combat is just as good.

One thing I didn't expect was the RPG elements, enemies have levels and numbers flying off them as you damage them. Going back to the mods they have your usual RPG types of common, rare etc. Some will boost XP gained, some are just stat based do x more damage etc. The gameplay loop reminds me of Destiny in some ways. I stumbled into an area I was woefully underlevelled for and got my Arwing blown to Smithereens!! Luckily you can hop into the spare ship if you want to continue from where you are, or go back to where you got the mission and you get your Arwing back. I assume there's a cool down as I'm back in the Arwing now. Not sure how it works just yet.

I did my research before buying by speaking to a mate who has put over 40 hours into it and completed it, though not 100%'d it. He didn't buy any extra ships and ended the game with 3. He never felt like he needed to drop money for any extras either digitally or physical extras. It's more a case of if you want to the option is there. He is now going to buy some now though(along with the PS4 version!) because they're down in price.

SO that's what I think of it. I guess I REALLY like it because I just typed an essay!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:06 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 am
No. It's not.
Matt_B wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:30 pm
Starlink is your basic Ubisoft open worlder, but monetized with toys in addition to the usual microtransactions.

It appears that its bombed sufficiently for there to be little chance of further content, and you can play almost of the game to a finish with what's bundled anyway.

It's all right as a game but, as before, it's a generic Ubisoft open world. There'll be another one of those along soon enough.

The Starfox content is surprisingly decent though. I'd think it scores slightly better than Zero, but that's a pretty low bar.
It's not really generic though is it. It's sufficiently different from other Ubi games.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:40 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:06 pm
No. It's not.
It's not exactly like Skylanders where vast swathes of the gameplay is inaccessible from the start, but ships, weapons and pilots are gated off unless you have the toys or have bought them via micro-transactions.
It's not really generic though is it. It's sufficiently different from other Ubi games.
I'd think that's up for debate. It's got a very different setting to the likes of Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, etc. and brings in influences from other games - Starfox obviously, but a lot of people can see things like No Mans Sky and Mass Effect in there too - but I'd think it fair to say that you can expect to see some very familiar gameplay mechanics and repetitive grinding before too long.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:53 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
No. It's not.
You still have to buy little toys to do more things in game

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 am

Thanks guy, I'm still on the fence. It's a tempting price but it doesn't sound like the game is all that great.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 am

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:53 pm
The Last Ginja wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
No. It's not.
You still have to buy little toys to do more things in game
No you don't, the game is fully completable without buying anything extra, there's no big chunks of game locked behind a paywall.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:04 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 pm
pratty wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:37 pm
The Last Ginja wrote:

I really like it. Played for about 4 hours on Sunday. When you start the game you can just select digitally so you don't have to faff with the toys.You just go to the menu and select which pilot, ship and weapon set up you want to use like any other game.

Since the ships are baked into the game you never need to use the toys/models/whatever. My Arwing is still in the box! I'm using my 8Bitdo controller.

There are 2 ships that I have so far, the Arwing(Switch exclusive obviously) and the other ship which I took for a spin. It's got a real No Mans Sky vibe, but less censored. You basically fly around the planet and scan things, get resources etc for XP and cash. There's research stations you go to for missions and they'll send you out to scan creatures among other odd jobs.

The ground combat is good fun and there's elemental damage so you have to use the right weapon for the job. I haven't done much space combat aside from the opening as I literally got engrossed in upgrading my mods by running missions on the planet. I did venture back out to space briefly and encountered some outlaws and can say the space combat is just as good.

One thing I didn't expect was the RPG elements, enemies have levels and numbers flying off them as you damage them. Going back to the mods they have your usual RPG types of common, rare etc. Some will boost XP gained, some are just stat based do x more damage etc. The gameplay loop reminds me of Destiny in some ways. I stumbled into an area I was woefully underlevelled for and got my Arwing blown to Smithereens!! Luckily you can hop into the spare ship if you want to continue from where you are, or go back to where you got the mission and you get your Arwing back. I assume there's a cool down as I'm back in the Arwing now. Not sure how it works just yet.

I did my research before buying by speaking to a mate who has put over 40 hours into it and completed it, though not 100%'d it. He didn't buy any extra ships and ended the game with 3. He never felt like he needed to drop money for any extras either digitally or physical extras. It's more a case of if you want to the option is there. He is now going to buy some now though(along with the PS4 version!) because they're down in price.

SO that's what I think of it. I guess I REALLY like it because I just typed an essay!
Must have missed this post, thanks for the detailed reply.

I think I understand things better, so you have the starter pack permanently unlocked digitally aswell and can play the 'digital version' without the toys.

With the elemental weapons, I think you get a fire and ice weapon in the start, if you were going to buyu something do you think it's worth buying a digital weapon of the other elements?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:21 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:55 pm
outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:30 pm
RetroBob wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:50 am
Original

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/1 ... itch_eshop
Nice to see a re-release of OutRun, even though the music is remixed and the car model is changed up (understandable, they aren't gonna splash the cash for the Ferrari license).

Wish they'd re-release Coast 2 Coast too, although that would require more work due to the need to modify all those Ferraris in the game.
Have you got a PSP? That's the best way (or the only way?) to play C2C on mobile, it's a beautiful version.
I have the PC version which I enjoyed a lot but it was removed from Steam so the only way to get it now is to track down a physical copy.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 pm

3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Picked up Starlink starter pack from Smyths yesterday, further reductions so it's only £17.99 now.

Those toys are big though, there's no way I'm playing with them on the controller.