Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

c0nfu53d

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 pm

To be honest I kinda do this alot. Buy something expensive get bored with it, sell it then get one later on when its cheaper. Its not a reflection on the switch itself - its more about my attention span.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:50 pm

I was close to selling mine but I’m glad I didn’t. Albeit only because the potential it has an emulation machine is so positive. I’m already running arcade and SNES games on it.

It’s not as handy to carry as the PSP Go but I think it’ll be more versatile over time.

In terms of real games, Dead Cells is really good.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:23 am

I'm using my Switch more than ever, there's so much in the store right now, and some at bargain prices. I picked up a game for 89p last night! I'd have passed it by from the initial appearance, but the price tempted me in, turns out its a puzzle game right up my street.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Dark Souls Remastered finally has a date of October 19th along with its amiibo.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 pm

ALK wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 pm
I'll admit my Switch has been a little neglected in recent months but that's mostly been down to the XBONE X I brought in May and the many many Games with Gold I stacked up to try out, let alone the games I brought. However, have finally been about to get past the first hour of Xenoblade 2 and its many tutorials to learn. Its starting to pick up now, so thankfully that should last me till Pokemon and Smash.

Odd though that the physical story DLC release due out next month still hasnt seen Euro preorders go live....
Maybe they want to leave it late to maximise digital DLC sales?

I think XC2 will last you until Smash, or at least it deffinitely could if you take your time, I've been playing it since launch and still have stuff to do, and that's not including DLC!
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:35 pm

pratty wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 pm
ALK wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 pm
I'll admit my Switch has been a little neglected in recent months but that's mostly been down to the XBONE X I brought in May and the many many Games with Gold I stacked up to try out, let alone the games I brought. However, have finally been about to get past the first hour of Xenoblade 2 and its many tutorials to learn. Its starting to pick up now, so thankfully that should last me till Pokemon and Smash.

Odd though that the physical story DLC release due out next month still hasnt seen Euro preorders go live....
Maybe they want to leave it late to maximise digital DLC sales?

I think XC2 will last you until Smash, or at least it deffinitely could if you take your time, I've been playing it since launch and still have stuff to do, and that's not including DLC!
Yeah, as someone who loved the first game and beaten it twice on both Wii and 3DS, it certainly feels more akin to that then XCX did which I never really attached to and thus got nowhere on. Might of been the setting change or just me being too busy for it, I do intend to go back to X at some point but right now one Xenoblade game should be enough. I know I was too busy to play my limited edition launch copy of 2 due to busy-ness (And really, how much we saw in the Switch's first year alone. :lol: ) but that'll likely change now its reminded me of why I loved XC1 way back.

In other news, Diablo III is coming to Switch this year, complete with DLC and even a few Zelda items. It'll be interesting to see what else Blizzard might bring to the Switch too.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPN66_QxaNA

Windjammers 2
Well thats something
They better not dick it up
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Large Bass

Post by Large Bass » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:24 pm

I’m trying to beat Hollow Knight and start BOTW DLC but Dead Cells keeps getting in the way it’s the perfect game for the Switch I had a doctors appointment yesterday and he was running late so I played Dead Cells for 45 minutes in the waiting room and horrified the poor elderly woman that was sitting beside me.That’s value for ones money.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:55 am

Is it wrong that the ramdomly generated nature of the levels puts me off games like Dead Cells? :|

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:13 am

pratty wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:55 am
Is it wrong that the ramdomly generated nature of the levels puts me off games like Dead Cells? :|
Nope. I don't mind the odd game like that, but they rarely match a set of well crafted and balanced levels that progress in skill requirement and difficulty. Too often the randomly generated games are punishing from the off, and it doesn't feel rewarding to beat a level in the same way.

Its like a a whole sub-genre of the staples. I quite like a random arena shooter, but is it as good as something like Robotron?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HdE

Post by HdE » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:06 pm

My take on this whole randomly generated content thing is that it suits some games better than others. Dead Cells, for instance, is the kind of thing I can see some people loving while other folks find the randomised aspect of it frustrating.

Something like Downwell, on the other hand, seems to us it much better. It helps that the pace of that game is so fast as well - that, coupled with random level design, makes it a really fun little game.

Why don't we have that on the Switch yet?

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:31 pm

HdE wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:06 pm
My take on this whole randomly generated content thing is that it suits some games better than others.
Yeah I do think there's a place for it. Steam World Dig seems to suit it, though the sequel used pre-set levels, perhaps because there was more emphasis on platforming? Something like a Worms match is a good use too, as navigating different levels each round is half the fun.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country's physical edition is finally open for preorders on Nintendo's Store at least and yes, it does come with the Expansion Pass.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-s ... TPbpEfs.99

Looking like a good way to pick up the DLC for the game. £35 with a poster/print, but other places like base and Shopto are offering it for under £29. Against the stand alone pass' £28, pretty good extra.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

HdE

Post by HdE » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:31 pm

pratty wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:31 pm
Yeah I do think there's a place for it. Steam World Dig seems to suit it, though the sequel used pre-set levels, perhaps because there was more emphasis on platforming? Something like a Worms match is a good use too, as navigating different levels each round is half the fun.
Just curious about something - have you seen anything of the PSVR title 'The Persistence'?

That looks really interesting. Taking the randomly generated content idea and placing it in a VR experience seems like it could really make for a neat experience.

Large Bass

Post by Large Bass » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:00 am

pratty wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:55 am
People like different things and randomly generated stuff usually bothers me but for some reason I really love Dead Cells and that every run feels truly unique I have had a few annoyances like the other night I had 52 Cells and I died in a boss battle 2 or 3 hits away from killing him so those cells were lost but as long as you complete a stage and use those cells you feel like your accomplishing something in the game.