Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Matt_B

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:47 am

learnedrobb wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:38 pm
£30 for an actual physical product, or £30 for a digital download... I know what I would call the better deal.
Given that the Switch version is download-only so far, that seems like a moot point. The game is large enough to require a 32GB cart too, and I cant see them selling one of those for £30 should they ever do a physical release.

Personally, I'm not fussed. Having to swap cartridges just to play a different game is starting to feel very antiquated to me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:49 am

Think eventually the price will go down, I see the older ports go for around the £10-15 mark so once they're done making enough from those that will bite the bullet at £30, sale discounts galore.

And of course space, arrgh. Wish one of these days, Nintendo would add External HDD support even if its just for TV mode. 2TB HDD for much less than a 1TB SD card, that would be swell.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:58 am

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:47 am
Personally, I'm not fussed. Having to swap cartridges just to play a different game is starting to feel very antiquated to me.
It's the fiddly cart slot flap I cant be arsed with. On the plus side maybe it will help me stick to one game and see it through.

I was given Darksiders for Christmas and I'm finding it fun, probably gonna have to get the sequel too which looks like a solid buy at just over £20.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:26 am

I really need to stop buying in these sales....

Namco Museum/Pac Man CE2 pack finally dropped to a price I can live with. £8.00 for portable Splatterhouse, Galaga '88 and Rolling Thunder 1&2? Sold. Shame that the simple brilliance of Pac Man CE has been somewhat over-egged in the sequel, but it's still fun enough.
Also picked up Pix the Cat, Vigilante, Into the Breach and Steamworld Dig 2. Total outlay still less than £40.00. Just need to make time to play them all now.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:51 am

ALK wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:49 am
And of course space, arrgh. Wish one of these days, Nintendo would add External HDD support even if its just for TV mode. 2TB HDD for much less than a 1TB SD card, that would be swell.
Amazon have regular sales on SD cards, I think I only paid around £65 for a 400GB card which holds a vast amount of games compared to what I actually need to have on there to play at any given time. Not bad value compared to a bulky HDD. I wouldn't disagree that HDD support would be nice for a docked option to download to, with the option to transfer to SD card via the OS. That would allow all games to be downloaded to HDD and shuffled about to suit a handheld loadout without redownloading.

Took the plunge and bought Alien Isolation, along with The Next Penelope and a couple of other sub £2 games yesterday. I want to finish Bertram Fiddle ep 2 before I sink into Alien so not tried it yet.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:36 pm

A Pokemon Direct aired today, confirming that Sword and Shield are going into season pass territory. For £26.99, you get around 200 Pokemon including old ones, new ones, new forms of older Mon and every past Legendary (But an free update will be issued so you can trade, battle and transfer those Pokemon via Pokermon Home in February), new areas including 2 new Wild Area locations, new story stuff, and so on. Will come in 2 parts, one in summer and other in late summer.

Also revealed was a remake to the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, due March 6th.

And the next SEGA Ages, Shinobi and Fantasy Zone, are coming January 23rd.

Annnnnnnnnnd those Doom/Doom 2 updates are now live.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/ ... _available
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:48 am

The Switch message system really annoys me.

I can subscribe to feeds for games I'm interested in, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell it not to show me news about things I'm not interested in.

My feed is cluttered up with things about Pokemon or Smash Bros etc that I'd really rather just unsubscribe or block.

It's fine for individual games, but Ninty keep on throwing junk into the feed. You'd think they'd have better targetted marketing.

Even though I 'like' the things I like and 'dislike' the things I don't, it keeps on throwing junk in there.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:27 am

Pre-ordered Tokyo Mirage Sessions, I was on the fence about the game but I figured it may be rare to get hold of in future. Looks utterly barmy. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:45 am

pratty wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:27 am
Pre-ordered Tokyo Mirage Sessions, I was on the fence about the game but I figured it may be rare to get hold of in future. Looks utterly barmy. :lol:
Thought the same about the Wii U version but sure enough, its value has yet to hit very high (Hell, Japanese copies are insanely cheap, and people are now actually hunting that down after hearing the Japanese Switch version in the Censored version the West got. :lol: )
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:13 am

ALK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:45 am
pratty wrote:
Thought the same about the Wii U version but sure enough, its value has yet to hit very high (Hell, Japanese copies are insanely cheap, and people are now actually hunting that down after hearing the Japanese Switch version in the Censored version the West got. :lol: )
By all accounts the game flopped in Japan. Like anyone else, Nintendo presumably needed to dump their unsold stocks, so the market would have to absorb those extra copies before the price seriously starts to climb.

As for the heavy handed localization, I guess it's a matter of principle for some, but you're not really missing that much other than getting to perv on teen girls in lingerie, which I'd hope isn't that much of a selling point for most of us. Suffice it to say that there are mods out there for the Wii U version that'll let you play it more or less as the developers intended, and they'll presumably find their way to the Switch when there's a suitable hack.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:42 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:13 am
ALK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:45 am
pratty wrote:
By all accounts the game flopped in Japan. Like anyone else, Nintendo presumably needed to dump their unsold stocks, so the market would have to absorb those extra copies before the price seriously starts to climb.

As for the heavy handed localization, I guess it's a matter of principle for some, but you're not really missing that much other than getting to perv on teen girls in lingerie, which I'd hope isn't that much of a selling point for most of us. Suffice it to say that there are mods out there for the Wii U version that'll let you play it more or less as the developers intended, and they'll presumably find their way to the Switch when there's a suitable hack.
Aye, but at the time I think a lot of people thought that because it was an Atlus game plus Fire Emblem (Both at the time fetched big prices once they're out of print) that the same would happen with TMS. I guess being on the Wi U pretty much counteracted that tradition. :lol:

Yeah, you're not missing much, except subtitles during battles and as you said, the pervy stuff.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:45 pm

Yeah, on the one hand it's a very niche game that came out for a console whose commercial death was already pretty much assured, but on the other it copped a wave of hype for being a rare first party release for the Wii U and hot on the heels of games that had re-popularized both the FE and SMT franchises. I pity the poor person at Nintendo who had to decide months in advance how many copies they were going to print.

Anyway, we're surely nearing the end of Wii U ports to the Switch now, so I'm guessing that there'll be more comprehensive updates of older games in the future, starting with the already announced Xenoblade.

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 pm

When's the new switch for sale and what will be different to the other ones, will it be dearer than the first one ?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:44 am

As you are the Nin10dofan, should you not be first in with this info?

And what do you mean by the 'new' Switch? There's already a hardware revision of the existing Switch to extend battery life etc, then there's the Lite.

Has there been anything other than rumour on anything else?

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:15 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:44 am
As you are the Nin10dofan, should you not be first in with this info?

And what do you mean by the 'new' Switch? There's already a hardware revision of the existing Switch to extend battery life etc, then there's the Lite.

Has there been anything other than rumour on anything else?
There is a rumour (which has been circulating for over a year now) that Nintendo will release a "Switch Pro" with 4k output, a full 1080p built in screen, and a more powerful CPU/GPU combo. Now, they could do this. They did it with the "New 3DS", but that wasn't exactly a hit (only a handful of games were released that required it over the regular 3DS), and I don't really see a need for a "mid cycle" upgrade, ala the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, as the Switch & Switch Lite seem to be selling really rather well as they are.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb