Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:29 pm

New Nintendo Direct presentation tomorrow night, apparently it's a fairly long one. Hopefully they announce some new stuff for next year.
Pacific wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:49 pm
Just been playing through Hollow Knight - absolutely fantastic game, really moody style, and bloody difficult (brought back some old 16-bit era controller-throwing reflexes, although probably best not to do that with the Switch! :) )
I've had this on my pile o' shame for some time now. Just so many worthwhile games on the Switch, it's hard to give them all the time they deserve.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:07 pm

Plenty rumored too. Overwatch for the Switch, the next Smash character could be a female SNK character, Banjo might be dropping onto Smash very soon, more Pokemon news, yeah.

Annnnnd another one to add. Looks like we could be getting more Assassin's Creed Remasters.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... itch-bound
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:13 am

pratty wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:29 pm
New Nintendo Direct presentation tomorrow night, apparently it's a fairly long one. Hopefully they announce some new stuff for next year.
Pacific wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:49 pm
Just been playing through Hollow Knight - absolutely fantastic game, really moody style, and bloody difficult (brought back some old 16-bit era controller-throwing reflexes, although probably best not to do that with the Switch! :) )
I've had this on my pile o' shame for some time now. Just so many worthwhile games on the Switch, it's hard to give them all the time they deserve.
If I could give one piece of advice in my life it would definitely be to put to the top of the pile! :)

It's a little slow to get started but it's one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. beautiful music score (try a nice pair of headphones with it) and a wonderful little narrative running through that will prompt you keep on playing through.

I'm actually preferring it to Dead Cells (although they are very different games, even though I suppose they are both classed as Metroidvanias).

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:31 pm

Pacific wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:13 am
If I could give one piece of advice in my life it would definitely be to put to the top of the pile! :)

It's a little slow to get started but it's one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. beautiful music score (try a nice pair of headphones with it) and a wonderful little narrative running through that will prompt you keep on playing through.

I'm actually preferring it to Dead Cells (although they are very different games, even though I suppose they are both classed as Metroidvanias).
It does look good, and I love Dead Cells. I do have some modern classics on my pile though. :oops:

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Some of the Nintendo Direct news:

Overwatch confirmed for mid October, (I honestly don't know a thing about this game haha, apparently it's a big deal).

Luigi's Mansion 3 has party games.

Free to play Kirby game released very soon.

Trials Of Mana out late April 2020.

"Town" has been renamed "Little Town Hero", out mid October.

Terry confimmed for Smash, out in November. Additional DLC fighters will also be added.

Banjo Kazooie out now!

Free Dragon Quest XI DLC avaialble at launch.

SNES games and SNES controller confirmed for online members.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is getting a port from the Wii U.

Deadly Premonition 2 announced for 2020. The first game also releasing very soon.

Doom 64 and Assasins Creed 4/Rogue bundle confirmed.

New action IP "Rogue Company" announced for 2020.

Jedi Outcast 2 port announced.

Devil may Cry 2 on it's way.

Daemon X Machina getting new demo.

And Xenoblade Chronicles is getting a "definitive edition" port from the Wii.

Overall the new announcements were quite porty but that's fine, I already own it on Wii and 3DS but I'm really looking forward to playing Xenoblade in shiny HD.

I think some will find the presentation a bit underwhelming but I think the leaks spoiled some of the surprises.

I think adding even more DLC fighters in Smash makes sense, when there's so many more characters worthy of being added it seems a shame to limit themselves to just 5 with one slot remaining.

Jedi Outcast was a bit random, but why not?

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:35 pm

It was a pretty solid Direct. Super stoked for Xenoblade Chronicles, which actually looks to be a remake of sorts as the final shot in the trailer was an area that was cut from the final release (But still existed on the Wii disc's data) so thats a good reason for me to triple dip. XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm not sure I need a third copy of Xenoblade, but a chance to replay it in HD is tempting. It's not like cheap copies of the earlier versions are easy to find either.

I've been predicting Overwatch pretty much since the Switch launched, so figured it was only a matter of time. If you've never played it, it's a class-based multiplayer shooter; a more modern take on Team Fortress with perhaps a smidgen of Splatoon thrown in. It's a lot less of a big deal now than it would have been had it come before the likes of Doom, Warframe, Fortnite, etc. but it's still a pretty popular game.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 pm
I'm not sure I need a third copy of Xenoblade, but a chance to replay it in HD is tempting. It's not like cheap copies of the earlier versions are easy to find either.
Looks to more than just a HD polish, as that area in the final shot of the trailer is not in the Wii or 3DS versions, rather its a cut area that can be datamined on the Wii disc, and give how huge some of the Xenoblade areas can get, that alone's going to add some extra hours of playtime. :D
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:55 am

ALK wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 pm
Matt_B wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 pm
Looks to more than just a HD polish, as that area in the final shot of the trailer is not in the Wii or 3DS versions, rather its a cut area that can be datamined on the Wii disc, and give how huge some of the Xenoblade areas can get, that alone's going to add some extra hours of playtime. :D
Despite already owning Xenoblade I still haven't played it properly yet, so I'm really excited to play it with the best presentation. The fact that the game didn't have DLC and is being promoted as a "Definitive Edition" would imply new content.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:59 am

Nice to see the SNES stuff on at last. Any coincidence that in the Retro Gamer calendar September is SNES?!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:17 am

I thought it was a great Direct. Some really nice ports coming to Switch, some cool new games announce. Money will leave my wallet! The Terry reveal finally got me to buy the Smash Fighter pass, to be fair I'd be meaning to do it for a while, but had been working on other games, I'll finally get back to Smash now (plus Banjo looks fun!)

Jedi Knight is cool if the ports good. Deadly Premonitions port sounds less than stellar, which is a pity as a version on consoles that runs good would be very nice, the PS3 version was awful, at least the 360 version is ok (though not exactly great, its a fun enough game that I can ignore its many technical issues, just not enough to buy it for a third time). Will get the sequel though.

Doom 64 coming is great. I'm working through the series again at the moment, just finished the original Doom yesterday via Switch, great fun. The 4th chapter was pretty crazy though, especially at the beginning.

And now I'm working on hard mode for DK Tropical Freeze. Its so good, the music, the level design... all top notch. Really enjoying the replay.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:31 am

Looking forward to Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Deadly Premonition 2.

My problem with Deadly Premonition was you had to do a quest for the cops mother to basically fast travel. It only happened near the beginning and had to be done at night, otherwise you had to drive everywhere that took bloody ages..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:23 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:17 am
The Terry reveal finally got me to buy the Smash Fighter pass, to be fair I'd be meaning to do it for a while, but had been working on other games, I'll finally get back to Smash now (plus Banjo looks fun!)
I'm tempted to buy the pack too but I might wait to see how they proceed now they've announced extra characters. Will they be included with the original 5, or will they cost extra? Perhaps a second pack of 5?

I think it's a great move to add these new fighters over time, people really seem excited and it refreshes people's interest in the game. One of the biggest reactions in the recent New York Store reaction vid was actually the Undertale character's costume reveal.

So who do we think the new fighters might be? Who would we like to see?

It seems hard to believe with so many varied characters already in the game, but I think as a general celebration of gaming several iconic games are still unrepresented, such as Resident Evil and Tomb Raider.

I think Travis Touchdown has a good chance of getting in with Nintendo and Suda 51's close working relationship, I think they'll use him to promote NMH3.

I think Rex from Xenoblade 2, Shantae, Viewtiful Joe, Chibi Robo, Ryo Hazuki, Rayman, Amatarasu from Okami and Jade from BG&E could all be good fits for the game, but I think they're all a bit too niche. Of those Rex or Rayman probably have the best chance.

Personally I would buy the fighter pack immediately if they added the Prince from Prince Of Persia, very unlikely though. More likely from Ubisoft would be an Assassins Creed character.

Chun Li or Ivy from Soul Calibur would be great too. 8)

I expect they'll be at least one non-traditional fighty character from left field, like Professor Layton or someone. :lol:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 am

Its already confirmed that the new characters after challenger 5 is independent of the first season pass.
As for characters to add... for third party reps:

Chun Li - Because if any other SF character gets in, its gotta be her (should have been included above Ken but watcha gonna do).

Lara Croft - assuming they go outside Japanese franchises again, she makes the most sense from a female icon standpoint. Assuming its the 90s version, not the depressed and souless reboot version.

Kiryu/Ichiban (Yakuza). Because Sega loves to cross promote the series. Not going to happen, but hey, I'd be happy if they did.

Masterchief/Mine Craft rep - I mean, they get on well with MS, so why not get one of their two most recognisable franchises to show up. I'm not a big fan of either, but it'd be a big get for some regions.

Scorpion - Because if one other fighter needs to be included in this crossover, its MK. Only problem is the games aren't released in Japan which probably harms its potential.

And for more Capcom picks:
Gene, Asura... oh wait, that's my Marvel vs Capcom 4 wishlist...
Monster Hunter guy/girl, Phoenix Wright, literally anything Mega Man related, Ammy from Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Jill/Chris/Leon/Wesker/Tyrant/Nemesis from RE, Dante from DMC(3,5), Arthur, Firebrand etc. from Ghouls n Ghosts series (looking at this list you really gotta appreciate how well represented Capcom's greats were in MvC3)

No one from indies, because if Shovel Knight is a assist trophy and Sans is a costume, I can't think of who better to pick. Likewise, non indie wise I really wanted Bomberman, but he's an assist as well.

First party character wise:

Skullkid/BOTW champions - aside from silly Link variants, the last new Zelda character was in Melee. Think about that for a moment... Give Ganondorf his own move set as well, or make Pig Ganon from Zelda III his own character. He deserves it.

Someone from F-Zero - Black Shadow, Zoda, Samurai Goroh. I just love the series, they really deserve a little more representation or at least a port of F Zero GX for the Switch...

Goomba - Hey, if the plant can get in, my favourite enemy from a Mario game can as well.

Someone from Arms - not a fan of the series myself, but they are just perfect for Smash.

Dixie Kong - Seems like an often requested character, she rocks in Tropical Freeze. I'm out of ideas.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:32 am

Dante is a good shout actually, I could see him added with the DMC games getting ports.

I considered Scorpion, with Sub Zero as a shadow character, but thought maybe Mortal Kombat just too violent, without the goryy fatalities a MK character would seem a bit too watered down.

What about the Hollow Knight for an indy inclusion?

An Arms character would make sense since they're obviouisly fighters, similarly King Hippo would be a good fit.

The Witcher perhaps?

Wouldn't be completely shocked to see a Yo-Kai Watch character.